Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Xavier has flip-flopped more than Emma.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

no one:

absolutely no one:

Callisto: I’m a bad guy now. Again. If you haven’t heard. *shanks the nearest X-Man*

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am happy that most of these villains are back, I don't really care how they are back. X-men has a villain problem imo and the more of them they are around being effective the less likely Magneto or Emma has to be forced back to being a villain.
    Agreed. The X-Men have so few great villains and part of that is because so many have been made "good" or "gray". We could use some new ones that are without question major threats that live to destroy the X-Men. Cassandra over in X-Men Red was a refreshing delight to read.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. The X-Men have so few great villains and part of that is because so many have been made "good" or "gray". We could use some new ones that are without question major threats that live to destroy the X-Men. Cassandra over in X-Men Red was a refreshing delight to read.
    Isn't she good now? With Jean giving her a conscience. If that's the case, that sure as HELL better not stick.

Flip-flop… flip-flop…
    I'm irritated by these "I'm good"… then later "Now I'm bad"… Then again "good". These are judgements made by the other (readers included).
    As long as the actions made by the characters are explained and plausible, I don't want to judge. (Or I judge the writer…)

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Flip-flop… flip-flop…
    I'm irritated by these "I'm good"… then later "Now I'm bad"
    … Then again "good". These are judgements made by the other (readers included).
    As long as the actions made by the characters are explained and plausible, I don't want to judge. (Or I judge the writer…)
    I still remember Angry Beavers making fun of this trope with Norbert.

Daggot's AI was Super Beaver and Norb was Baron Von Bad, then Good, then Bad Again. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Isn't she good now? With Jean giving her a conscience. If that's the case, that sure as HELL better not stick.
    Yeah, Jean gave her empathy. I want a Cassandra Nova with no empathy that wants to wreck everything and everyone she sees. So then it's fun to watch the X-Men beat her down, like Storm pummeling her with a tsunami.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah, Jean gave her empathy. I want a Cassandra Nova with no empathy that wants to wreck everything and everyone she sees. So then it's fun to watch the X-Men beat her down, like Storm pummeling her with a tsunami.
    So she's another jobbed out villain? If so, that adds to why the X-Men Rogue Gallery is so pathetic. Hardly anyone is a threat.

To quote Haley from American Dragon: Jake Long
    "Even I have to admit this is boring. Lets watch belching monkeys!!!"
    lol Now that's entertainment.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.

So she's another jobbed out villain? If so, that adds to why the X-Men Rogue Gallery is so pathetic. Hardly anyone is a threat.

To quote Haley from American Dragon: Jake Long
    "Even I have to admit this is boring. Lets watch belching monkeys!!!"
    lol Now that's entertainment.
    I agree the X-men have a villain problem. I liked how GM wrote Cassandra and I liked that the X-men were afraid of her. But stories have to progress (change) and move the characters forward. They wanted Jean to defeat Cassandra and to have Nova changed. In HCT we saw Cassandra on the side of the X-men so it was bound to happen. A lot of X-men villains either join the team or become allies. I agree it dilutes the rogues gallery for them but the X-men aren't standard superheroes and we often forget that. I think the editorial team forgets that as well. The X-men generally just has a philosophical difference with their enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I agree the X-men have a villain problem. I liked how GM wrote Cassandra and I liked that the X-men were afraid of her. But stories have to progress (change) and move the characters forward. They wanted Jean to defeat Cassandra and to have Nova changed. In HCT we saw Cassandra on the side of the X-men so it was bound to happen. A lot of X-men villains either join the team or become allies. I agree it dilutes the rogues gallery for them but the X-men aren't standard superheroes and we often forget that. I think the editorial team forgets that as well. The X-men generally just has a philosophical difference with their enemies.
    If they don't join the team, they usually suffer villain decay where they become parodies of what they used to be. Again, we have villains or organizations that started off dangerous, the demoted to jokes.

Omega Red
    Hydra
    Sabretooth
    Possibly Nova

And in cases like this, joining the team is a promotion. I know many hated Invert Creed. But imo, given how much of a pussy he is as a villain, I though him becoming an anti-hero was a promotion. Least he could've gotten better developments that he sure as Hell doesn't get as a villain anymore.

But even when villains join the team, they go back to antagonistic status quo & we stay in a sad loop or moving things forward only to get rewound.

Another childhood quote. Tommy Pickles on why adults make them wear clothes.
    Maybe they put them on us so we can practice taking them off.

Same with the X-Office and character development.
    We allow character development so we can get better at undoing it later.

So she's another jobbed out villain? If so, that adds to why the X-Men Rogue Gallery is so pathetic. Hardly anyone is a threat. …
    You don't have be a villain to be a threat. Just have absolute faith in the righteousness of your cause and be determined enough to reach your goals. Like Magneto…
    And sometimes you even don't need that: you are a threat just by breathing. See Mathew Malloy.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I'm sure Tv Tropes calls Emma's status as the "Heel-Face Revolving Door."
    writers need to decide what they want from her

Well many feel it is forced for her to be villainous when she's been on the X-side for many years thus far. I am cool with her & Magneto going back the more villainous route because at least they're good at it. They have danger, prescience, and are overall respected. Add Apocalypse & Sinister to the list and they're legit.

They make more sense as villains than the likes of Creed, who doesn't don't have anything close to the prescience he used to. Give the X-Men some villains that actually pose a threat & require some effort defeating. Omega Red is a similar case. I even read someone on here stating how weird it is to see him being a threat in Age of X when he's been beaten up so effortless & often in recent years. That's another villain demoted to a jobbing punching bag, despite being introduced as a complete beast.

The X-Men Rogue Gallery is pathetic. The only solid villains to be had are Magneto, Emma, Sinister, Mystique, and Apocalypse. lol

The X-Office needs to step up their game on villains. Actually utilize them better. Give them prescience, make them a threat, show why they need to be fear or respected. Let them come out on top & win some exchanges. Give them some real personality that can make you enjoy or fear them when they appear on panel.
    X-men books have a serious problem with villains because a lot of them turn into heroes. Wriyers need to create new villains that are actually good and then re-habilitate the old villains.

I don't think Emma works as full villain anymore, but a foil to X-men figt eventually over different approaches to problems is a good call
    Last edited by spirit2011; 06-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You don't have be a villain to be a threat. Just have absolute faith in the righteousness of your cause and be determined enough to reach your goals. Like Magneto…
    And sometimes you even don't need that: you are a threat just by breathing. See Mathew Malloy.
    The issue is that there's always a writer who wants to take things too far. That's how we got Magneto herding humans into ovens (requiring a massive retcon), or the Schism going from Offensive Tactics to Save Mutants (Cyclops) vs. Defensive Tactics (Wolverine) to Cyclops is Hitler and Wolverine is a Saint who we are not worthy to look upon.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    writers need to decide what they want from her

X-men books have a serious problem with villains because a lot of them turn into heroes. Wriyers need to create new villains that are actually good and then re-habilitate the old villains.

I don't think Emma works as full villain anymore, but a foil to X-men figt eventually over different approaches to problems is a good call
    That's a surprising take from you.

The problem for her is the powers that be. Those in charge during IvX and the start of Blue had her as a stupidly evil villain. Then the powers that be walked that back a bit. Now we have Rosenberg doing... something?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The issue is that there's always a writer who wants to take things too far. That's how we got Magneto herding humans into ovens (requiring a massive retcon), or the Schism going from Offensive Tactics to Save Mutants (Cyclops) vs. Defensive Tactics (Wolverine) to Cyclops is Hitler and Wolverine is a Saint who we are not worthy to look upon.
    And the latter didn't really fly because aside from being an outlaw due to the events of Avengers Vs. X-Men, Cyclops and his team weren't really doing anything the X-Men hadn't been doing for years, so Wolverine looked more like a hypocrite using pretensions of morality to satisfy a longstanding petty grudge against Cyclops. Ironically, Marvel's determination of who the heroes and villains should be is all too often at direct odds with the fans' interpretations of who the heroes and the villains actually are. Not just the Cyclops vs. Wolverine schism, but the aforementioned Avengers Vs. X-Men or later on, the tensions between the rising Inhuman population and the declining mutant population that led directly to Inhumans Vs. X-Men. In all of those cases, the militant X-Men fighting for their people's right to exist were intended to be seen as the villains, but given how both the Avengers and the Inhumans turned a blind eye to the mutant plight until the X-Men started fighting back and then were demonized for that, a lot of fans (rightfully) called B.S. In a nutshell, Marvel continues to have a hard time realizing that setting up a fantastic (as in fantasy) metaphor for the lived experiences of persecuted and marginalized groups in the real world, and then making them out to be the bad guys when they fight to not be penalized for simply existing, is a bad idea.
    The spider is always on the hunt.