Page 98 of 130 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1949
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As I mentioned before, there are other characters are in the same situation, heroes with grotesque bodies in groups good looking people but you keep saying it's only problematic in Cyborg's case as if it was done in bad faith and not just the nature of superhero comics. All this talk about he can't be a Black paragon because he doesn't like a "wish fulfillment character" seems like nonsense since he's a favourite to people here who grew up with him through Superfriends reruns and the Teen Titans cartoons.

But go ahead and discredit him if you want in order to push your nonsensical propaganda.
    You can have him if you want him:

Peace.

How does Khary Payton feel about Cyborg? Always been kind of curious about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Peace.
    He looks like Mecha Aquaman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Do mods ever check a person that’s being “purposely problematic” with their takes and makes people not want to post here?
    I can't personally do anything beyond scolding , but a super moderator or administrator can ban for a time or even permanently a poster who appears to be disrupting a thread and/or forum.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Peace.
    This needs to be posted on every page of a Vic Stone Cyborg thread. It’s perfect for the “I don’t see color” & the “he’s so inspirational” crowd.

It’s so grotesque to see it done in reverse like this. It’s so obvious that it’s tone deaf and wrong.

This needs to be posted on every page of a Vic Stone Cyborg thread. It’s perfect for the “I don’t see color” & the “he’s so inspirational” crowd.

It’s so grotesque to see it done in reverse like this. It’s so obvious that it’s tone deaf and wrong.
    I think the problem is that the way Vic is inspirational doesn't necessarily make him the figure people want him to be on the Justice League.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Many of the top characters in Marvel or DC have some kind of a trauma attached to their origin that they have to overcome or be defined by it.
    Do they also get horrifically maimed in every animated appearance they have

Nope. Still not seeing anything wrong. Batman with a goatee looks far more out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the problem is that the way Vic is inspirational doesn't necessarily make him the figure people want him to be on the Justice League.
    This I can kind of agree on. Cyborg was a bad fit for the Justice League. There's nothing wrong with the character. Angsty guy angry at the world for being turned intoa monster yet still struggling to be a hero is a perfect set up for most teams... just not the JLA. The JLA needs something cleaner and larger than life. Black Lightning or John Stewart would have worked much better.

Plus putting him onto the Justice League deprives him of his proper place in the Teen Titans. He fits better there thematically and because of the characters history.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Do they also get horrifically maimed in every animated appearance they have
    Toxic Avenger and Swamp Thing maybe.

I don't think Cyborg has been that in all his appearances. Most he was already Cyborg when we first see him.

Also take into account those shows can be at the mercy of MERCHANDISE (TOYS).

Do they REALLY want to waste money on a new Cyborg mold? Take Doom Patrol Cyborg-A generic Cyborg head is probably around. Unless WWE has a figure or clothes that could be used (Mattel makes both companies figures)-they are not going to be interested in making new molds. New Day & Shelton Benjamin or Ricochet figures might have the parts.

They don't want to make new molds if they don't have to. Notice DC ICons Static's final figure did not have his jacket.

Here is the thing-would that white Cyborg have better development then Vic?

How does Khary Payton feel about Cyborg? Always been kind of curious about it.
    Remember he's doing a more interesting version of Cyborg. Not the one folks have issues with in comics.

Here is the thing-would that white Cyborg have better development then Vic?
    The closest thing I can think of to "white cyborg" is Marvel's Deathlok, who has never been on any of Marvel's big teams (X-men, Avengers, or Fantastic Four) and has been replaced by different people (and even mass produced) like a dozen or so different times. On top of that, when he is used, he's got a pretty much one note personality.

Ironically the version of Deathlok that got the most characterization used a black man's brain in the body.

Young Justice Cyborg only lost his left arm and the left part of his torso and face. Maybe this is more acceptable? I don't know, i never knew some people felt this way about him.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Young Justice Cyborg only lost his left arm and the left part of his torso and face. Maybe this is more acceptable? I don't know, i never knew some people felt this way about him.

I know design-wise they took a lot of influence from David Walker/Ivan Reis' Cyborg redesign, which was well-received by fans (and then quickly undone the moment that run ended).

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

The only reason people took issue with Cyborg was when he was moved to Justice League and was made to stand out like a horribly mangled thumb. If he were there along with John Stewart or Black Lightning no one would’ve been bothered.

It’s when he was the sole representation of a black hero in the premier title along side the pinnacle of heroes in each power-type that it became a really bad look. The only guy to still be held back or forced to “overcome” was the black guy. 6 white, beautiful power fantasy heroes and the sole black hero is retreading whether he’s even a human. Terrible optics.

Now if he were made to look like the Young Justice version, those same people would’ve rejoiced that they’ve finally modernized Vic.

Aesthetically, Smallville Cyborg was perhaps the best Cyborg. His hardware was on the inside not the outside and while he still had the tragic background, he never dwelled on it too much. He stood among other "wish fulfillment" heroes just fine.

The only reason people took issue with Cyborg was when he was moved to Justice League and was made to stand out like a horribly mangled thumb. If he were there along with John Stewart or Black Lightning no one would’ve been bothered.
    I think many people would've likely still thought he didn't belong there because he would've likely been overshadowed by the more "wish fulfillment" black characters. It's really damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he's the only black hero on the team, he stands out for the wrong reasons. And if he's not, then people would likely choose other black heroes on the team they find to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-04-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think many people would've likely still thought he didn't belong there because he would've likely been overshadowed by the more "wish fulfillment" black characters. It's really damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he's the only black hero on the team, he stands out for the wrong reasons. And if he's not, then people would likely choose other black heroes on the team they find to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    As far as looks go, I disagree on that. If he were to look like Young Justice it would have made sense. He looks modern. He looks like his body still “functioned”. He looks like a blend of man and technology. He looks appealing. That’s all that folks have been asking for. Thus the wishfulfilment aspect would’ve been satisfied.
    Last edited by Iconic; 03-04-2021 at 06:37 AM.