Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What DID Cyclops do? Theories and Spculation

Since this topic has come up in multiple threads, I thought I'd start one solely dedicated to this ongoing mystery. By now, the events of Uncanny X-men #600 and Extraordinary X-men #1 have been sufficiently spoiled. We saw how in one issue, Cyclops gathered the entire mutant race for a single peaceful demonstration. Then, in the next issue, he's the most reviled mutant on the face of the planet. His friends hate him. The public hates him. Pretty much everyone hates Cyclops, calling him a murderer in some cases (as though the X-men has ever had a problem with befriending murderers before). But we still have no idea what he did to put him in this position. He had already been in a similar position when he killed Charles Xavier, but there was less mystery to that. This actually sounds like it's much worse. The X-men give the impression that Cyclops is responsible for the Terrigen Mist plague that is killing and sterilizing the mutant race. They're also blaming him for the surge in hatred that humanity feels towards mutants. At this rate, they'll even blame him for global warming.

Jeff Lemire has stated on Twitter that "all will be revealed." I believe him. It will be revealed at some point. This isn't the Joker's real name. This is a major story that is now the driving force behind this new line of X-men comics. Regardless of how you feel about the direction of the X-men comics at this point, I think it's something worth contemplating.

So let's open it up. What do you think Cyclops did that was so horrible that he's the most hated character in the entire Marvel universe? I have theories and while they're always wrong, here's what I think is most likely.

1. During the 8-month gap, the Inhumans discovered a purified form of the Terrigen Mists. They wanted to release it, but then Cyclops found out that it harmed mutants. He tried to convince them to not release it, but it didn't work. The X-men and Inhumans went to war. Cyclops led the charge, but in a desperate effort to save his people, he launched an attack that caused a huge amount of collateral damage to humans. Think Samford before Civil War. And unfortunately, it wasn't enough to stop the Inhumans. They released the mists, Cyclops got the blame for the carnage, and he's now rotting in a prison cell with SHIELD. (I think this is the most likely)

2. The Inhumans release another round of Terrigen Mists without any conflict with mutants at first. Then, the dangerous side-effects are discovered. Cyclops, desperate to save his people, teams up with Sinister and allows himself to be used as a test subject to find a cure. Havok and Emma might be there too since they're MIA as well. At one point, they think they have a cure derived from Cyclops' blood. Sinister claims it's effective, but it's a trick. He lets Cyclops release it, but it ends up infecting humans as well and that's the source of all the human hatred. And since he's the one who released it, he gets all the blame. And in doing so, he gets sick as well and is now comatose. (This is my second most likely, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch)

3. During the 8-month gap, tensions rise with the Inhumans as they start to gain favor of mutants. Then, when the Terrigen Mists come along and the Inhumans do nothing, Cyclops rallies mutants like he did before and attacks the Inhumans. In the process, he taps the Phoenix Egg that he would've used in Secret Wars to turn the tide. However, he loses control and a lot of innocent people end up dying as a result. In addition, he goes missing after the battle, possibly ending up in the White Hot Room. But he still gets the blame. (I think this is by far the least likely because I have a feeling that Marvel will completely abandon the Phoenix Egg plot. That was something I think Hickman and Remender wanted to pursue. Since they're leaving, I think Marvel is just going to drop it)

These are my top three theories. I think any can work, but they're all probably dead wrong. Pretty much all my predictions are. I'm hoping there's someone on CBR who is better at this than I am. Because until Lemire reveals the truth in the comics or Rich Johnson uncovers something, we're just left with crazy fan theories.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Scott killed Lockjaw while he was a guest in Televised political debate. At least that's what people saw. Beast staged the whole thing to get a cushy new lab in Medusa's castle and now harbors Scott in his basement to "keep him safe.", being able to have his obsession trapped forever.

BANNED

He stole Blackbolt's parking space outside Attilan.

BANNED

I think it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for speculation. Not that I'm sure this thread won't be fun for about 12 hours before it ends in tears.

Spectacular Member

Default I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post

Jeff Lemire has stated on Twitter that "all will be revealed." I believe him. It will be revealed at some point. This isn't the Joker's real name. This is a major story that is now the driving force behind this new line of X-men comics.
    I'm pretty sure you just put more thought into it than anyone at marvel has. They've pulled the "done something cool off screen" card twice in a year. I'm a hundred percent certain that's a bad sign. The new authors, Bunn aside, seem like they just have stories they want to tell that don't involve Cyclops(or continuity).

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

He made another YouTube video.

Frame Job.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Frame Job.
    As much as I joke about the MU public's perception of EviiiiilllClops, I'd have to go with this. Sure, he'd be the bad guy for shutting down human/inhuman military assets, but he'd eventually get the rap for some catastrophic friendly-fire incident.

Too bad. The YouTube video scenario would be way more fun.

Extraordinary Member

I'm guessing one or more people faked their deaths with the help of Cyclops.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinaci View Post
    I'm pretty sure you just put more thought into it than anyone at marvel has. They've pulled the "done something cool off screen" card twice in a year. I'm a hundred percent certain that's a bad sign. The new authors, Bunn aside, seem like they just have stories they want to tell that don't involve Cyclops.
    But that's just it isn't it? Every X-Men story in the last five years has revolved around Cyclops and how he's the hottest shiz in the universe. You need to go to great lengths if you want someone else in the spotlight.

Amazing Member

I am starting to think that writers don't even know what Cyclops has done himself, besides something really bad. As for the theory something similar to your 2. The mists are harmfull for mutants, which doesn't sit well with Scott; however, neither inhumans or humans give a damn about it and some might even be delighted about. Intentionally or not Cyclops somehows evolves the mists to also harm humans. It backfired and we are at the current situation. No wait let change that for a bit, on live TV he jokingly said he modified the mist to work on humans too, unfortunatly people took it seriously.
    Last edited by Lwx; 11-05-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    As much as I joke about the MU public's perception of EviiiiilllClops, I'd have to go with this. Sure, he'd be the bad guy for shutting down human/inhuman military assets, but he'd eventually get the rap for some catastrophic friendly-fire incident.

Too bad. The YouTube video scenario would be way more fun.
    Sex Tape?
    Insta-sterilization.

BANNED

It'll all be off panel and vague as hell. Or worse, only revealed in some dumpy Inhumans book.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    He made another YouTube video.
    That would never work Fluffy. Beast would flag it as inappropriate the second it publishes. Which would lead to Maria Hill using her SHIELD privileges to examine the video to find the parts that are inappropriate thus giving the video hundreds of views in the process. Unable to find anything "hot" she would completely neglect her duties as head of SHIELD and instead spend her time scouring the Internet trying to find that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Sex Tape?
    Insta-sterilization.
    Worse. He made fun of Medusa's hair. And when the EXM crew set up a Skype conference call so they could yell at him, JerkClops couldn't even be bothered to notice anyone's new haircut/costume.

Boom, just like that, rrrhate explained.