Page 222 of 233 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 3488
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but admittedly Zatanna's name is kind of her in-universe brand because she's a stage magician.
    This and it also gets a pass because Zatanna is itself an unusual name, like Mon-El.

Still, it's a fair point.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This and it also gets a pass because Zatanna is itself an unusual name, like Mon-El.

Still, it's a fair point.
    Zatanna is a stage personality with no "secret identity" (unlike Tim DRAKE).

I haven't read any of Naomi so I don't know if the same would apply to her.
    Does she live her life in the spotlight and doesn't mind attention? Does she have any other family that may desire a "private life" for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Does she live her life in the spotlight and doesn't mind attention? Does she have any other family that may desire a "private life" for themselves?
    No, it doesn't apply in the same level. It is more like if we call Donna Troy just "Donna" sans "Troy". It is her civilian name, iit can work, (not like "Drake", mind you) but let's hope no new risingpop stars choose to call herself or himself Naomi, because, there will go the trademark.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That or Justice League are pretty much guaranteed. Wouldn’t surprise me if Taylor gets JL after Bendis given he’s the one writing Jon.

Drako suggested Taylor get Titans and that would be a great fit for him as well. Franchise has sucked for so long that Taylor can’t make it worse, and his penchant for fanservice would mesh well with the Titans fandom sensibilities
    Since he already writes Nightwing, Titans would definitely be a good fit. At least it would avoid the team book contradicting the solo book!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Unless someone else was after him or a bigger project was in the works.

So what does this mean for his Seven Secrets book at Boom? A book I thought was only 12 issues but is not at 14.
    Exclusive just means he can't write for Marvel. A Boom book should be unaffected. Besides, when Tom King went DC exclusive, they still let him finish his Vision book for Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    No, it doesn't apply in the same level. It is more like if we call Donna Troy just "Donna" sans "Troy". It is her civilian name, iit can work, (not like "Drake", mind you) but let's hope no new risingpop stars choose to call herself or himself Naomi, because, there will go the trademark.
    This reminds me how YJ keeps calling her "Troia" instead of Donna, but I guess that's her Amazon name while Donna is her "Man's World" name.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Sure, but I meant from a mechanical point of view, the reader doesn't mind "Zatanna" as much as "Drake" because the former isn't a name they hear anywhere except DC comics. It's like the name "Eddard" for Ed Stark. "Ed" (or "Jon," for that matter) is kind of weird in a high fantasy setting where you'll encounter some batshit crazy names like "Tywin." "Eddard" not as much. Your mind can accept one where the other would feel weird sitting around a table with Daenerys, Roose and Melisandre.

Likewise, you can kind of overlook "Zatanna" as a superhero identity because, well, it's as made-up as "Kal-El."

But it's her actual given name, so if you think about it, that really doesn't make any sense. Zee's stage shows are largely smoke and mirrors until the finale in most iterations, so it's a weird disconnect for the reader to consider "so she's the Vegas magician who also works with the Justice League" who for some reason just uses practical illusions 95% of the time in her act instead of actual magic. It's all kind of weird, but that's okay.

Naomi doesn't have a codename. Like with secret identities, I think Bendis feels characters would just be out, use their name and be themselves in 2021. He seems to view the secret ID and codename as something of a relic, hence "Jessica Jones." It's why he had Superman out himself. He seems to like the idea of a hero "coming clean" because he thinks the transparency makes them a better heroic figure.

It might, but these are people too. They want their own lives to be able to be one of us. Clark Kent as a construct is Superman still clinging to the life he wanted to lead as a child. He was raised Clark and wants to live the same kind of life everyone else gets to. By admitting his identity to the world, he's effectively throwing away his ability to, well, chill at home with his wife and son somedays because now he has to be a hero 24/7. I know we like to think of Clark as the most selfless guy on the planet, but on some level, each of them needs downtime and Clark's no different.

I think Bendis did an excellent job with the issue where Clark reveals his identity, but I still disagree with the decision. Superheroes aren't soldiers or civil servants, they're first responders and they deserve to have downtime and a life they find fulfilling as well. Some are more precious about it than others, but that's another discussion we're veering into.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-12-2021 at 12:32 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Possibly another short story by Sejic like he did for Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red:

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/sta...08804126937092

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Possibly another short story by Sejic like he did for Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red:

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/sta...08804126937092

Doesn't seem like we're ever getting that sequel series but it's probably easier for Sejic.

Extraordinary Member

Doesn't seem like we're ever getting that sequel series but it's probably easier for Sejic.
    Yea, at the time he said never say never but his health issues were keeping him from meeting the kind of deadlines DC would need. I believe his health issues also made him want to focus his time/energy on his creator owned work rather than doing work for hire as he finds it more fulfilling and earns him more money.

Extraordinary Member

The War For Earth-3 is coming to DC Comics. Next year, a handful of comics will crossover in a brand new event that will see heroes and villains take on the characters of Earth-3. The War For Earth-3 will take place in the pages of Teen Titans Academy, The Flash, and Suicide Squad, with two issues bookending the crossovers.

The War For Earth-3 will be centered on Amanda Waller's quest for power in the DC Universe. The synopsis for War For Earth-3 #1 reveals that the Crime Syndicate will hunt down the former Task Force X leader, leading to Teen Titans, the Flash, and Suicide Squad colliding on Earth-3. The Titans and Flash will be searching for a missing student who they believed was taken by Waller to be part of her Justice Squad team. War For Earth-3 #1 will be written by Robbie Thompson and Dennis Hopeless, with art by Steve Pugh. The crossover will feature connecting covers from Rafa Sandoval (seen below). The issue will feature variants from Gleb Melnikov, Liam Sharp (1:25), and Guillen March (1:50).
    The War For Earth-3, taking place in the pages of Suicide Squad, Teen Titans Academy, and The Flash, will begin in March 2022. The crossover event will run through the month's first day, starting with War For Earth-3 #1 and ending with War For Earth-3 #2 on March 29, 2022. The exciting event will set the stage for what's coming next in each of the titles featured in the crossover.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-13-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Doesn't this feel like something the Justice League should be involved in? Although the only book I'm invested in that's involved is The Flash.

Extraordinary Member

Doesn't this feel like something the Justice League should be involved in? Although the only book I'm invested in that's involved is The Flash.
    We've seen plenty of JL vs Crime Syndicate over the years - more interesting if they sit it out in my opinion.

I'll probably get the TTA issue.

Wait does that mean Dennis Hopeless is taking over Titans Academy? Also I guess regular Conner is here as well from the looks of that fight with Ultraman and Match...unless that’s Zod’s son from Flag’s team.

But hey I figured Waller was going to get a multiverse event where she’s the villain based off the most recent run, but at least characters I like such as Wally and the Titans are here too.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Lol, another event for March? Are they kidding?
    Damn it, so annoying. I wouldn't give a damn, but they're dragging The Flash into this.