Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Notable stories that took Spider-Man out of the US?

I was rewatching Far From Home, and the entire theme was Spidey traveling around Europe. It made me wonder, any notable instances of Spider-Man having to leave to US in the comics, but NOT going to another dimension or planet or anything like that with the Fantastic Four or the Avengers or whatever? I mean, like leaving to another country and taking in the culture.

Just curious because as the quintessential NYC hero, he tends to stick to the city more often. I know he's been to Latveria before. What about Wakanda? Or something more mundane like London or Tokyo. Feel free to share here.

All-New Member

I know there is a McFarlane story where he teamed up with Wolverine in Canada to fight the Wendigo

Amazing Spider-man #95 saw Spidey going to London, while he went to Liverpool in Spectacular Spider-man #166/167. In fact he has been to Britian a few times. He's never really been to Ireland
    Last edited by leokearon; 11-28-2019 at 05:14 AM.

The Amazing Spider-Man #143 and #144 both take place in Paris, France.

There was an episode of the 1990s series where he goes to Russia to investigate what had happened with his parents. Funny that he goes as Peter Parker with Robertson, Robbie then finds as Spider-Man... and, although he asks what is he doing here, he does not put two and two together, even when "Peter Parker is Spider-Man" is right in front of his face.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

During the Assassin Nation Plot, he traveled to Silver Sable's homeland, Symkaria.

Shortly before Gwen's death, Spider-Man fought the Hulk in Montreal.

Peter, seeking a cure for his terminal illness during The Other storyline, traveled to Wakanda with T'Challa.

BANNED

I think people need to add and include "taking out of NYC" because that tends to happen as rarely as out of USA proper.

Go back to the Lee-Ditko era, and Spider-Man's first fight with the Green Goblin (ASM#14) happens in California.

As for Europe...
    -- Peter's first visit is the ASM Annual #3 (the one where he finds out his parents were spies).
    -- Second visit is to London where he's stalking Gwen Stacy after she leaves town without telling him or anyone else in the aftermath of her supporting Sam Bullitt, this is ASM#94-95.
    -- Third visit is the one to Paris where he meets Cyclone, this is ASM#142-143, which is mostly famous for the kiss at the airport between Peter and Mary Jane.

That's the most famous instances in the classical period (ASM#1-150).

Web of Spider-Man under Michelinie became notable for sending Peter constantly on assignment out of NYC.

I think Spider-Man v. Wolverine is the most notable story set in Europe, although it's always been a controversial and contentious story and in continuity terms, it's definitely in some limbo today because it's explicitly set in Cold War era Berlin.

One of the weirder stories set in Europe, is this OGN by Charles Vess (an illustrator who did some cover art for comics and other stuff). Vess wrote and drew "ASM: Spirits of the Earth" which is an OGN that essentially has never been acknowledged once in canon, it includes Peter and MJ going to a Scottish castle and dealing with the Fair Folk, it's just totally alien from Spider-Man.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think people need to add and include "taking out of NYC" because that tends to happen as rarely as out of USA proper.

Go back to the Lee-Ditko era, and Spider-Man's first fight with the Green Goblin (ASM#14) happens in California.

As for Europe...
    -- Peter's first visit is the ASM Annual #3 (the one where he finds out his parents were spies).
    -- Second visit is to London where he's stalking Gwen Stacy after she leaves town without telling him or anyone else in the aftermath of her supporting Sam Bullitt, this is ASM#94-95.
    -- Third visit is the one to Paris where he meets Cyclone, this is ASM#142-143, which is mostly famous for the kiss at the airport between Peter and Mary Jane.

That's the most famous instances in the classical period (ASM#1-150).

Web of Spider-Man under Michelinie became notable for sending Peter constantly on assignment out of NYC.

I think Spider-Man v. Wolverine is the most notable story set in Europe, although it's always been a controversial and contentious story and in continuity terms, it's definitely in some limbo today because it's explicitly set in Cold War era Berlin.

One of the weirder stories set in Europe, is this OGN by Charles Vess (an illustrator who did some cover art for comics and other stuff). Vess wrote and drew "ASM: Spirits of the Earth" which is an OGN that essentially has never been acknowledged once in canon, it includes Peter and MJ going to a Scottish castle and dealing with the Fair Folk, it's just totally alien from Spider-Man.
    I think I remember reading that last one in the Round Robin ASM Epic Collection. It was trippy as hell, and if I recall, it was Peter and Mary Jane's honeymoon destination once they had the time for an actual honeymoon.

Also, I would add the Family Business OGN that introduced Teresa (Durand-)Parker, which took him to Europe with the sister he never knew he had and led into a confrontation with the Kingpin, who had Mentallo in his employ. Oh, and I think he had a rematch with Cyclone there as well.

Funny enough, given Spider-Man's popularity there, I don't think I've seen a story where he went to Japan.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, given Spider-Man's popularity there, I don't think I've seen a story where he went to Japan.
    He never went to Japan?! I feel like you could do a whole story arc of Spider-Man traveling to Tokyo and taking in the culture, while also playing the contrast of of West/East. I'm surprised there's no story with that. Needs to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    He never went to Japan?! I feel like you could do a whole story arc of Spider-Man traveling to Tokyo and taking in the culture, while also playing the contrast of of West/East. I'm surprised there's no story with that. Needs to be corrected.
    Definitely. I could also see that as part of a team-up with Wolverine and/or Daredevil, or as a story that could've been told during the Worldwide era.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Definitely. I could also see that as part of a team-up with Wolverine and/or Daredevil, or as a story that could've been told during the Worldwide era.
    spidey and daredevil team up in china Japan wouldnt be a bad match for them
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

I thought the Family Business graphic novel was really good. It's also important since it's the introduction of Teresa Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    There was an episode of the 1990s series where he goes to Russia to investigate what had happened with his parents. Funny that he goes as Peter Parker with Robertson, Robbie then finds as Spider-Man... and, although he asks what is he doing here, he does not put two and two together, even when "Peter Parker is Spider-Man" is right in front of his face.
    That was based on Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5, which took him to Algeria.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

In the JMS era, Spider-Man traveled with Ezekiel to Africa and South America on a kind of quasi-Indiana Jones thing. This culminates in Book of Ezekiel, where Spider-Man ends up trapped in a tomb in Peru. You know for a working-class New Yorker, Peter sure has seen a lot of the world.

In general, I don't think Spider-Man should travel outside NYC too often. It should only happen in a special story that only makes sense in that location. Like "The Commuter Commuteth" is a Spider-Man story that absolutely cannot take place in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In the JMS era, Spider-Man traveled with Ezekiel to Africa and South America on a kind of quasi-Indiana Jones thing. This culminates in Book of Ezekiel, where Spider-Man ends up trapped in a tomb in Peru. You know for a working-class New Yorker, Peter sure has seen a lot of the world.

In general, I don't think Spider-Man should travel outside NYC too often. It should only happen in a special story that only makes sense in that location. Like "The Commuter Commuteth" is a Spider-Man story that absolutely cannot take place in the city.
    Thanks for reminding me of that, and speaking of, there's a Peter Parker, Spider-Man Annual from 2001 by Fiona Avery where a teenaged Spider-Man fresh from his first fight with Doctor Doom found a group of priests and priestesses somewhere in Peru that worshipped the Great Weaver.