Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Netflix even worth keeping at this point?

Netflix may have kicked off the streaming wars, but they stand to lose out. Netflix is making a bunch of dumb decisions and their quality has gone way down, and honestly, I don't even think they're going to be worth having a subscription for later.

Here are the major issues:
    1. Netflix is cancelling shows left and right, when their standards used to be very lenient. You used to be allowed to build your following, you used to be given at least two seasons and often more, you used to be able to tell long-form stories. Not anymore. Word is that Netflix has imposed a 3-season cap on most shows to keep ratings consistent across the board, and furthermore have cancelled shows have a month or two just for not being the next Stranger Things. It used to be an extreme rarity for shows to not make it past two seasons. Now, most shows are failing to even reach the third. You know how bad it looks that Netflix has all these incomplete shows? Really bad.
    2. Furthermore, they're over-saturating the market with originals. They released over 300 originals in this year alone. Having all this content sounds great, but it isn't. Netflix doesn't have the pockets of Disney or WarnerMedia, and they can't control the quality of said releases. Their strategy amounts to "throw **** at the wall, see what sticks". The fact is, with over 300 shows a year, many shows are going to get the low end and that's a problem. Combine this with the above issue, and the best analogy is that they're making a big wall of content -- but one with gaping holes and unfinished parts.
    3. Netflix owns nothing. They have no nostalgic content, compared to how Disney+ and HBO Max will have full access to massive libraries of content. Disney has their own vast Disney library, alongside Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more. HBO Max has their own HBO library and Warner Bros., DC, TBS, TNT, CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Hanna-Barbera, Adult Swim, CW, Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock Entertainment, Turner Classic Movies, among others. The best Netflix can do is fund lesser stuff, like a revival of the '80s lamest sitcom (Full House) or a Beverly Hills Cop 4. This also means that they're always at the risk of losing stuff, and lose they do. They're losing almost everything including content from Disney and Warner, and that's not even all. If you think Netflix is still great now, just wait a year when they have a far less.
    4. Netflix Originals are beginning to look subpar, and will be even more so next to the competition. This goes back to Netflix's strategy of throwing stuff at the wall, and having no quality control because they don't own anything. Even worse is that it's well-known, to the point that Netflix has even admitted it, that Netflix uses their originals as propaganda for their political beliefs instead of being focused on telling stories that are actually good. I think we all tune into these shows to get entertained, not to get preached to.
    5. Even aside from that big problem, their talent and budgets are lacking. Most of Netflix Originals, with few exceptions, star lesser-knowns or those past their prime, and their making deals with lesser creators like Adam Sandler and Michael Bay. For every Martin Scorsese, there's more than 10 creators whose names aren't worth mentioning. Disney and Warner, on the other hand, have top tier talent both in front of and behind the camera, and their budgets just blow Netflix's allowance out of the water. It helps, again, that they own a lot of assets, studios, and IPs to make that possible.
    6. Finally, Netflix isn't as big as the other companies overall. Netflix only has their streaming business, and they have to keep putting themselves in debt just to fund more of their self-destructive originals. Disney and Warner however, are massive conglomerates who make tons of money from other sources, which is money that can go into further developing their services. They also have a guaranteed stream on content coming in, as every Disney and Warner produced movie going forward will be on Disney+ and HBO Max respectively. They can also much more easily make their originals, not only for being able to fund them easier, but also because they own many of the IPs, so they don't have to spend big bucks to secure them and can just focus on the product itself.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for HBO Max to come out so I can get rid of my Netflix sub forever. Some of their originals look great, like The Witcher, but I'll just get the Blu-Ray version of the ones I really want to see. I have Disney+, and I'll only need that and HBO Max going forward to get my streaming fix.

But really, what is appealing about Netflix going forward anyways? I think it's telling that most of the support Netflix receives amounts to "I don't want to subscribe to different streaming services!", but really, that's the reality, and Netflix stands to become a bad value. I think when HBO Max comes out, it'll only highlight how bad Netflix looks by comparison. Things will only go down from there.

What do you think?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

They need to make better decisions (like allowing shows more than a handful of episodes, and emphasizing quality over quantity), but there is no reason they shouldn't succeed. Not every entertainment corporation has the basis for a viable independent streaming channel, and some of the ones that do are not going to succeed in the long run. Netflix will always have some outside content. I have no plans to cancel Netflix and, while I will get Disney+ at some point, it's not a big priority.

Netflix needs to keep their fees down, make fewer original shows, and let the good ones run longer.

There's room for maybe 5 or 6 big streaming sites before the market is saturated. Then they'll settle into something similar to the network system of TV.

Any of them try to make me watch commercials, though, and I'm done. I have a big enough DVD library to entertain myself for the rest of my life commercial free if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    They need to make better decisions (like allowing shows more than a handful of episodes, and emphasizing quality over quantity), but there is no reason they shouldn't succeed. Not every entertainment corporation has the basis for a viable independent streaming channel, and some of the ones that do are not going to succeed in the long run. Netflix will always have some outside content. I have no plans to cancel Netflix and, while I will get Disney+ at some point, it's not a big priority.

Netflix needs to keep their fees down, make fewer original shows, and let the good ones run longer.

There's room for maybe 5 or 6 big streaming sites before the market is saturated. Then they'll settle into something similar to the network system of TV.

Any of them try to make me watch commercials, though, and I'm done. I have a big enough DVD library to entertain myself for the rest of my life commercial free if I have to.
    To be fair, HBO Max also has tons of outside content as well in the mix with their in-house content. In fact, that's what makes me look forward to HBO Max but also worry for Netflix -- comparing the two side by side is not favorable for the latter.

Netflix definitely needs to change up their business plan if they want to remain relevant. The question is, will they?

I really enjoyed Klaus, so I'm still happy to keep Netflix .

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

What do you think?
    Politely, I think that you are not everyone.

Netflix has(and continues to) do things that the services you mentioned probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely, I think that you are not everyone.

Netflix has(and continues to) do things that the services you mentioned probably won't.
    I'm not everyone, duh.

But don't act like I'm the only one noticing this, and in fact Netflix stands to lose millions of subscribers later. For me, them cancelling Daybreak after two months was the straw that broke the camel's back. Netflix ain't what it used to be.

And what do you mean by the second sentence?

BANNED

Netflix is largely dedicated to adult programming, unlike Disney+ which is not gonna go higher than PG-13. So the latter is not a real competitor yet.

Netflix has Witcher coming in tomorrow in fact.

So I wouldn't count it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Netflix is largely dedicated to adult programming, unlike Disney+ which is not gonna go higher than PG-13. So the latter is not a real competitor yet.

Netflix has Witcher coming in tomorrow in fact.

So I wouldn't count it out.
    What about HBO Max though?

I'm not everyone, duh.

But don't act like I'm the only one noticing this, and in fact Netflix stands to lose millions of subscribers later. For me, them cancelling Daybreak after two months was the straw that broke the camel's back. Netflix ain't what it used to be.

And what do you mean by the second sentence?
    In the most polite way I can say it(don't think that it's some sort of a personal shot...), someone who has to pose that question probably isn't going to understand the answer.

What about HBO Max though?
    What about it?

Again politely, has something changed since the post that started this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In the most polite way I can say it(don't think that it's some sort of a personal shot...), someone who has to pose that question probably isn't going to understand the answer.

What about it?

Again politely, has something changed since the post that started this thread?
    I don't understand what Netflix can do that the other services can't like you suggest. Also, you're going the route of "no offense but I'm insulting you", which isn't a good sign. Just straight up say it.

I don't understand what Netflix can do that the other services can't like you suggest. Also, you're going the route of "no offense but I'm insulting you", which isn't a good sign. Just straight up say it.
    On what's in blue...

"Can't..." is different from "Probably Never Will..." The former is about the actual ability to do so while the latter is about what an outfit is likely to do.

As for "No Offense, But I'm Insulting You...", I can't stop you from taking it that way.

That said, everything about your initial post and your reply point to what I am saying. It's in the very way you are laying it out. Never mind that a "What About HBOMax?" when how it plays in probably hasn't changed one bit since the initial post means that RJ probably could have brought it up if he/she saw it as an issue.

There's probably a perfectly good reason that really didn't happen.

Let's not act like I'm the only one seeing Netflix going downhill. I'm not. It's actually very well publicized how Netflix is declining and I'm collecting the reasons why. When I look a streamers, I look at which one will get me the content I want most.

Let's not act like I'm the only one seeing Netflix going downhill. I'm not. It's actually very well publicized how Netflix is declining and I'm collecting the reasons why. When I look a streamers, I look at which one will get me the content I want most.
    Which is not everyone.

Folks have just laid out why Netflix is something that works for them.

Repeatedly pointing to that it's "Decline..." has been "Very Well Publicized..." does right around "Zero..." to change the fact that is in the second line.

Congratulations.

Let's wait a year and ask if it's worth it then after they're blocked off by so much content and all the other services are officially out and about. My point was, Netflix is on a decline, and if it works for you then great! But there's a good reason why it might not.

Congratulations.

Let's wait a year and ask if it's worth it then after they're blocked off by so much content and all the other services are officially out and about. My point was, Netflix is on a decline, and if it works for you then great! But there's a good reason why it might not.
    Which is a non-issue if it does. No matter how good it might seem to you(or to whoever).