Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Green Lanterns in the Star Wars Galaxy

The premise of the Green Lantern Corps is that the Guardians of the Universe divided the known universe into space sectors, and had each sector assigned at least one Green Lantern.

Suppose the Star Wars Galaxy was among those sectors, or Green Lanterns crossed over into the Star Wars universe as a result of the 'Last Light Protocol' (used in the Green Lantern/Star Trek crossover)? How would the presence of a Green Lantern, or two, or three, affect the balance of power in that galaxy far, far, away?

In particular, how would the presence of a Green Lantern or two or three affect things in these Star Wars time periods?

The Prequel era/Clone Wars

The Classic Trilogy era (Rebels vs. Empire, Death Star, Vader, and Palpatine)

The 'Legends' (previous Expanded Universe, Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, and so on)

The sequel trilogy (Resistance vs. First Order, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren and so on)

Canonical Star Wars characters in any of those periods don't need to be the ones to receive Power Rings, but feel free to speculate along the lines of which Star Wars characters fit the usual criteria (i.e. has the ability to overcome great fear). As for the other 'spectrum' Corps (Blue, Red, Yellow, Indigo, and such), that might be a topic for another thread.

Anyway, feel free to speculate on how Green Lanterns might affect the balance of power.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

A Lantern breaks the power curve so hard it isn't funny. Top end Lanterns have more fire power than the death star and more mobility than the millennium falcon and more precision than Kylo Ren. The sith are able to accomplish very little with a Lantern patrolling the sector, though I'm not sure if the guardians would want to intervene at a point when the Empire has become established law. Lots of awful alien empires are still around in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    A Lantern breaks the power curve so hard it isn't funny. Top end Lanterns have more fire power than the death star and more mobility than the millennium falcon and more precision than Kylo Ren. The sith are able to accomplish very little with a Lantern patrolling the sector, though I'm not sure if the guardians would want to intervene at a point when the Empire has become established law. Lots of awful alien empires are still around in DC.
    True. Back when the Omega Men first became its own series, the writers had to contrive a reason for the Green Lanterns to mostly stay out of the Omega Men's conflict with the Citadel, at least when it was contained within their own star system. And that was pretty similar to the conflicts in Star Wars in many ways.

Palpatine would acquire for himself the Orange ring.

Order 66 would be about betraying the Green Lanterns as well. The clones would all be imbued with the red ring. Hate driven monsters designed to destroy the Green Lanterns.

When Luke is set onto his quest, it is about finding the Blue Ring of Hope. Green Lanterns have joined the Rebel Alliance. Green Squadron. Oa has been destroyed by the Death Star, their rings are depleted. It isn;t until the find the Blue ring that they are able to do more.

In Return of the Jedi, there is a scene where the an Ewok is killed and another Ewok screams in rage. The Red Ring gets passed to him. But the Orange Ring is lost, thought destroyed.

As we continue into the Extended Universe, the Purple and Indigo rings are discovered. Offshoots of Force wielders, they are not Jedi, but something different.

The new trilogy sees Kylo Ren with the Orange Ring, until Palpatine returns, stored within the ring itself, he has been waiting for someone to put on the ring ,so that he can take him over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LordMikel; 08-27-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Barring a Sauron scenario happening, direct combat is almost always in the Lantern's favor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    you-underestimate-the-power-of-the-force.jpg

Order 66 would be about betraying the Green Lanterns as well. The clones would all be imbued with the red ring. Hate driven monsters designed to destroy the Green Lanterns.

When Luke is set onto his quest, it is about finding the Blue Ring of Hope. Green Lanterns have joined the Rebel Alliance. Green Squadron. Oa has been destroyed by the Death Star, their rings are depleted. It isn;t until the find the Blue ring that they are able to do more.

In Return of the Jedi, there is a scene where the an Ewok is killed and another Ewok screams in rage. The Red Ring gets passed to him. But the Orange Ring is lost, thought destroyed.

As we continue into the Extended Universe, the Purple and Indigo rings are discovered. Offshoots of Force wielders, they are not Jedi, but something different.

The new trilogy sees Kylo Ren with the Orange Ring, until Palpatine returns, stored within the ring itself, he has been waiting for someone to put on the ring ,so that he can take him over.
    Why would He use a Orange ring, I always thought of sith as full of rage. I think he’d get a yellow or red ring.

Also the clones weren’t rage filled even when they attacked the Jedi, that’s one reason the Jedi didn’t sense the clones turning on them because they did it without emotion, they were basically just programmed to follow orders.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The orange ring basically turns you into a gibbering loon. It basically turns you into Larfleeze. How long do you think it would take the Empire to collapse if it was being run by Larfleeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    Why would He use a Orange ring, I always thought of sith as full of rage. I think he’d get a yellow or red ring.

Also the clones weren’t rage filled even when they attacked the Jedi, that’s one reason the Jedi didn’t sense the clones turning on them because they did it without emotion, they were basically just programmed to follow orders.
    Orange is avarice or greed. He wants it all. But I could see fear too. So yellow works.

These red ringed clones are for Green Lanterns.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The orange ring basically turns you into a gibbering loon. It basically turns you into Larfleeze. How long do you think it would take the Empire to collapse if it was being run by Larfleeze?
    Does it do that? I'm not up on all of my Orange ring information.

Pretty much this. A Green Lantern, certainly a powerful one, could solo the entire Empire or Rebellion. They've taken out armadas before.

There are factors. Is it just a generic GL or a known one with feats? Does the Empire know their weakness? This will be more or less relevant depending on the GL.

These are the strongest willed beings in the universe so Vader or the Emperor using mind control is going to mean squat. Force Lightning? Please.

I suspect, as you said, that the only thing that will matter is whether the Guardians give the okay to interfere and by how much or if they decree no interference since the legalities are questionable.
    Power with Girl is better.

you-underestimate-the-power-of-the-force.jpg

Hmm, that would require an Orange or Red or whatever Lantern to come into the SW Galaxy since the Empire would not be able to span to another galaxy to get them even if they knew about them.

I do see an orange ring as the closest match for the Emperor but, like the Red rings, they carry major drawbacks. Probably a yellow ring would make the most sense.

As a scenario, this could go anywhere. Write your own version. But it results in the Empire having any chance only by getting GL tech so it's not really GLs versus the SW universe anymore.

Yeah. The GLers can police SW pretty damn well on their own.

I see Sidious as Yelow. He does want it all but not as a blind collector, he wishes power through fear and hatred ( as Orange turns you to Larfleeze or a moron. A powerful one but still.)

Vader would be a Red Lantern. He gets the Force juice as a Sith via rage and self hate.

Luke is blue to the core.

The clone troopers? Dudes typically have no emotion at all. They cannot be ring hosts.

Remember the rings are not just mental strength but a definition of f it as emotions and will power is another word for courage/bravery as far as I can tell ( as it’s being will strong in the face of fear.)

But yeah if the bad guys get ring tech. It’s another kettle of fish. If just the Corp in SW. they stomp the hell out of it.

I think you all may be forgetting, almost any force user should be able to pull the ring off the finger of a Lantern without much issue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Yeah. The GLers can police SW pretty damn well on their own.

I see Sidious as Yelow. He does want it all but not as a blind collector, he wishes power through fear and hatred ( as Orange turns you to Larfleeze or a moron. A powerful one but still.)

Vader would be a Red Lantern. He gets the Force juice as a Sith via rage and self hate.

Luke is blue to the core.

The clone troopers? Dudes typically have no emotion at all. They cannot be ring hosts.

Remember the rings are not just mental strength but a definition of f it as emotions and will power is another word for courage/bravery as far as I can tell ( as it’s being will strong in the face of fear.)

But yeah if the bad guys get ring tech. It’s another kettle of fish. If just the Corp in SW. they stomp the hell out of it.
    Oh, yeah. Vader is absolutely Red. He understands the Force mostly in terms of rage. While the Emperor's natural proclivity, I believe, would be greed, the Orange ring just has too many drawbacks. And fear is about as much or more his driving motivation.

I can see Luke as Blue although I would perceive the whole concept of the Jedi Knights as strongly equivalent to the Green Lantern Corps. I believe even the Jedi had restrictions on interfering with the purely internal workings of a planetary society. It was only when it affected other planets. Plus, in the days of the Republic, I believe there were certain Galaxy wide laws. So the Jedi didn't have quite the restrictions of the GL Corps. But very similar.

I think you all may be forgetting, almost any force user should be able to pull the ring off the finger of a Lantern without much issue.
    This is where we get into low and high feats.

In fact, there's a site for the old DC Heroes roleplaying game where they made up the GL rings. At one point, they gave alternatives. If you, as the Games Master, decide to adhere to the stories where a GL ring can be removed from his finger without the ring resisting it, then use these rules. If you decide to adhere to the stories where the ring will resist any such attempt, use these rules. There is plenty of evidence to support both of these contradictory events.

Likewise, if you want to say a GL must be touching and even wearing the ring for it to work, as in many stories, use these rules. If you want to say they can use the rings at a distance but with rapid loss of control as the distance grows, as in many stories, use these rules. If you want to say a GL can send his ring ten million light years away and summon it back to him without the slightest problem, as in many stories, use these rules.

So that's the problem. Of course, we go with the high end feats. But, from a story point of view, there's justification for any contradictory thing you can imagine.