Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I also hope that they stray away from romantic relationships. Too much of that could kill the movie.
    These are high adventure fantasy stories, romance is an essential part.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Keep the right balance they had in the OT, and it will work. But the forced stuff from the PT?
    To be fair, they won't have Lucas writing OR directing, so maybe a romantic arc could work with the right talent.
    The OT also had Harrison Ford, who knew when the romance would get cheesy and then added his own slight changes to make it more believable.

I'm in the camp that firmly believes the PT needed a Han Solo-type character to ground everything, especially with all the emphasis on high-falutin' Jedi/Sith mystic politics.

Incredible Member

My two cents' worth: It was a true teaser in every sense of the word, especially for a fan like me who hasn't seen any of the extra material beyond the other six movies so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the new generation characters. I was hoping for at least a brief glimpse of SOME of the canonical six (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio) but I can wait. I hope Chewie has gray in his hair because he's like really really old now.

Great to see the Falcon still exists, and that Abrams has had the good sense to keep the original titles and music. I was disappointed when "Man of Steel" didn't preserve the John Williams Superman theme, but when it comes to Star Wars if they didn't keep that music I think there would be riots in every theater in America.

I'm not bothered by anything so far, including the beach ball/soccer ball/rolling robot or whatever you want to call it, which is clearly a comic relief piece that the entire series has always provided regularly, and I doubt it will be on screen for any longer than the little rolling box droid on the Death Star in "A New Hope" that Chewie scared away by roaring at it. In fact if he roars at this one and scares it away too I will personally laugh my head off. The new lightsaber didn't bother me either and my immediate first impression of it was I wonder if it's meant to invoke a subconscious image of the Christian cross? Ooooo, controversial...

May the next year go by quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    My two cents' worth: It was a true teaser in every sense of the word, especially for a fan like me who hasn't seen any of the extra material beyond the other six movies so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the new generation characters. I was hoping for at least a brief glimpse of SOME of the canonical six (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio) but I can wait. I hope Chewie has gray in his hair because he's like really really old now.

Great to see the Falcon still exists, and that Abrams has had the good sense to keep the original titles and music. I was disappointed when "Man of Steel" didn't preserve the John Williams Superman theme, but when it comes to Star Wars if they didn't keep that music I think there would be riots in every theater in America.

I'm not bothered by anything so far, including the beach ball/soccer ball/rolling robot or whatever you want to call it, which is clearly a comic relief piece that the entire series has always provided regularly, and I doubt it will be on screen for any longer than the little rolling box droid on the Death Star in "A New Hope" that Chewie scared away by roaring at it. In fact if he roars at this one and scares it away too I will personally laugh my head off. The new lightsaber didn't bother me either and my immediate first impression of it was I wonder if it's meant to invoke a subconscious image of the Christian cross? Ooooo, controversial...

To be fair, they were clear enough in that the Kneel Before Zod thing wouldn't be there, and I believe the same for the theme. A new Superman, a new series, a new universe.

I always confuse the two, Star Wars and Superman, so who knows? Maybe it's handier having John Williams' SW and Hans Zimmer' Superman.

I don't know that there'd be riots in every American theater. Seems a bit small to riot over, compared to all the other Star Wars controversies, film and otheriwse. Lot bigger stuff in the world to riot over.

Yeah, I missed that too. All I really wanted was a Jedi lightsaber, and Luke, but glad none of it was old footage, or lots of text, and then footage. Didn't overly waste it.

Trailer #2 should hopefully rectify those innequities.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post

I'm okay with them putting the heroes of this new trilogy front and center. I think it was smart to only include the ML and Tie Fighters as far as reference to the OT. Cross, that would make sense if these Sith are the 'Inquisitors' a la Star Wars Rebels. My first thought was that lightsaber looks like a claymore; the way that character was walking (albeit in the snow) gave the broadsword concept a bit more weight to me.

The next trailer will probably give a glimpse to some of the OT characters, but I think we won't see much of Luke (if I am wrong about that, awesome) but judging by the multitude of rumors swirling about his character they might want to keep him largely under (beard) wraps.

Agree with this next year going quickly.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I have to wonder if the new spherical astromech droid was influenced by Haro from the GUNDAM saga.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Stephen Colbert schools Star Wars Ep. VII lightsaber haters

I assume the video is there, I unfortunately couldn't see it due to my location (but got this great redirect). Saw it on The Colbert Report last night, funny stuff.

colbert.jpg
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-02-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I have to wonder if the new spherical astromech droid was influenced by Haro from the GUNDAM saga.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Maybe, although it could also have some influence from R2's original design

I posted this in the Star Wars thread but it's interesting to see comparisons of Ralph McQuarries unused work and the designs seen in the trailer.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/ralph-mcquarrie-force-awakens/

Either way, someone really likes that design:
    B3p9UewIQAAP1R_.jpg
    https://twitter.com/B_wreckin/status...179200/photo/1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Maybe, although it could also have some influence from R2's original design

I posted this in the Star Wars thread but it's interesting to see comparisons of Ralph McQuarries unused work and the designs seen in the trailer.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/ralph-mcquarrie-force-awakens/

Either way, someone really likes that design:
    B3p9UewIQAAP1R_.jpg
    https://twitter.com/B_wreckin/status...179200/photo/1
    There ARE touches of McQuarrie's work in the designs we're seeing. IE, the new X-wing with its wings closed is very similar to McQuarrie's sketches. Wings open, however, it's a different story. Don't care much for the scissor-wing at all. Just looks awkward and unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Oh god. For all we know, that could be like getting a Jar-Jar Binks tattoo.

There are fanboys, and then there are fanboys.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Well its more the whole point of a polearm is long range while i sword as better range of motion a double bladed lightsaber basically ruins the benefits of both and gets u a crappy weapon. So a cross guard is not terrible but a cross guard that can cut u that might be a problem if u dont always block parallel to the cross guard.

Still basically what u expect from a teaser, a series of quick flash character intros and 1 dynamic action scene.
    They should have just given it a cortosis ore crossguard if they were that worried about defending his hands. I guess they thought this looked cooler?
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Loved this trailer. It was exactly what I hoped for. We got footage of everything the movie needs to do right. Stormtroopers, starships, the characters. And it teased a dark tone devoid of Lucas' kiddie bs. And it is very apparent the war in star wars is making a comeback.

As far as the new lightsaber I like it and think it looks good. As far as it's practicality who cares this is a trap too many fans fall into. The very idea of a lightsaber is a very impractical weapon. First its a handle with a blade that has no weight. That would make it extremely hard to fight with and keep track of the position of the blade because it has no feel. This means you would have to track the blade solely visually. So to even use the standard weapon you have to use the force to keep track of it and keep from hitting yourself with it. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your little side blades. Also the EU is gone there is no lightsaber resistant metal left in continuity and it should stay that way. If there was a metal resistant to lightsabers whats the advantage of the weapon then? Wouldn't the first thing you would do as a force user is make a suit of armor out of this metal and be invincible. Anyway my point is in a universe where the force and hyperspace travel exist your suspension of disbelief meter shouldn't be ratcheted up so much.
    They exist. The different sabre resitant metals still take damage and can only hold out so long. They're not the gebreakers you think they are.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    Good points, especially about age. I get the feeling Jedi and Sith age in response to their specific usage of the Force; Sidious, even before his "scarring" was looking rather old an effect of relying heavily on the Dark Side ("Consume you it will...") Qui-Gon was very calm in many situations (and his mediation before Maul killed him) makes me think he aged slower because of his benign ways of tapping into the Force.

So to me Qui-Gon is middle aged whereas Tony Stark acts more like he's in his late 20s seems given his cocky mindset.

So I agree with you there.
    That's exactly right. Thats why Yoda's able to sword fight despite being 900 years old. That and alien genetics
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    If rumors are to be believed then its possibly because there are no Jedi left besides Luke while the Sith seem to be thriving once more.
    I doubt that. Even without the books there's no way Luke didn't start training apprentices during the 35 year gap.
    Cyclops was right