Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sterling Gates Supergirl run

Its been a while since I read his Supergirl but it just dawned on me that if the New Krypton storyline is universally disliked then why is his run (which ran mostly through this storyline) so praised?

I'm guessing it had nothing to do with the story and more about his depiction of Kara?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's pretty good, I would really expect someone to like it if they were into the Johns direction before New Krypton.

I think the biggest point going is that it was the coherent Kara story people hadn't seen in like twenty years by then.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfShaolin View Post
    Its been a while since I read his Supergirl but it just dawned on me that if the New Krypton storyline is universally disliked then why is his run (which ran mostly through this storyline) so praised?

I'm guessing it had nothing to do with the story and more about his depiction of Kara?
    New Krypton wasn’t all equally bad. The main story with Kal on Krypton, and Kara’s stuff, were both excellent I thought. It was only at the ending that they s*** the bed and hit the reset button. The bad parts of NK were either boring (Mon-El in Metropolis) or insanely convoluted and weird (aged up Chris Kent as Nightwing with Ak-Var as Flamebird).

Gates had a good handle on who Kara is and wrote stories crafted with her in the center.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Probably the best modern Supergirl and I think we don't give Igle enough credit for that run. Gates didn't put those out alone.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Gates & Igle's Supergirl is the only run that I've read more that once in its entirety (besides PAD's, but that's technically not even the same character).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    New Krypton wasn’t all equally bad. The main story with Kal on Krypton, and Kara’s stuff, were both excellent I thought. It was only at the ending that they s*** the bed and hit the reset button. The bad parts of NK were either boring (Mon-El in Metropolis) or insanely convoluted and weird (aged up Chris Kent as Nightwing with Ak-Var as Flamebird).
    Agree with all of this. The "New Krypton" saga became a floundering mess overall, but Supergirl and World of New Krypton were consistently solid during that period.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Gates & Igle's Supergirl is the only run that I've read more that once in its entirety (besides PAD's, but that's technically not even the same character).

Agree with all of this. The "New Krypton" saga became a floundering mess overall, but Supergirl and World of New Krypton were consistently solid during that period.
    Is it wrong that my most vivid memory of that entire era was someone asking the Superman group at a con if Clark was going to get a love interest on New Krypton and then there was a beat before Rucka bluntly answered. "He's married."

Another beat.

"No." I died. You could just feel the disappointment he had to answer the question.

Other than that, I remember Supergirl being the big surprise (she'd never worked for me prior) and, as others have stated, World of New Krypton being the only other book that didn't feel like it was spinning a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Is it wrong that my most vivid memory of that entire era was someone asking the Superman group at a con if Clark was going to get a love interest on New Krypton and then there was a beat before Rucka bluntly answered. "He's married."

Another beat.

"No." I died. You could just feel the disappointment he had to answer the question.

Other than that, I remember Supergirl being the big surprise (she'd never worked for me prior) and, as others have stated, World of New Krypton being the only other book that didn't feel like it was spinning a plate.
    Ha! That is pretty funny.

I really love me some Rucka, but I try to forget he was involved with any of that. His Nightwing and Flamebird stuff reeked of editorial mandate - and if it was all his idea, please don't tell me! I can't bear the disappointment.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I really love me some Rucka, but I try to forget he was involved with any of that. His Nightwing and Flamebird stuff reeked of editorial mandate - and if it was all his idea, please don't tell me! I can't bear the disappointment.
    It wasn’t. Didio told him if he did the Superbooks he would let Rucka do WW Earth One. The stories were heavily dictated by editorial. Then Didio gave WWEO to Morrison and Rucka quit DC because he was pissed about being lied to.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Didio made right choice.

After his Nightwing/Flamebird and now his Lois book being a signal boost for Montoya, I'm over Rucka in the Super office.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    After his Nightwing/Flamebird and now his Lois book being a signal boost for Montoya, I'm over Rucka in the Super office.
    I still need to read his Adventures of Superman run, I’ve heard good things from people I trust, but yeah I’m fine with Rucka restricting himself to WW or his favorite Gotham characters for the future.

Are you talking about when Flamebird and Nightwing took over Supermans book?

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfShaolin View Post
    Are you talking about when Flamebird and Nightwing took over Supermans book?
    I think the editorial mandate was use Chris and Thara as Flamebird and Nightwing, when the original idea was to use Linda Danvers and Kon-El. Which would had been a lot more interesting.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think the editorial mandate was use Chris and Thara as Flamebird and Nightwing, when the original idea was to use Linda Danvers and Kon-El. Which would had been a lot more interesting.
    Oh man. Linda and Kon El would have been so bad ass as Flamebird and Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It wasn’t. Didio told him if he did the Superbooks he would let Rucka do WW Earth One. The stories were heavily dictated by editorial. Then Didio gave WWEO to Morrison and Rucka quit DC because he was pissed about being lied to.
    Oookay. That all sounds familiar.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009