Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Yes because then you can create a proper movieverse. Especially considering the amount of X-Men who join the avengers in the comics

The Fox films haven't been anything special anyway. Marvel seems like the best studio to be doing those movies, Singer just makes terrible decision after terrible decision.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Yes they should and there is no need to change the origin of mutants. The difference between mutants and the average spandex wearing super hero is not all mutants can control their powers. Not all mutants use their powers to benefit mankind.

Let me think the question can be split into several questions

Should the X-men be in the mcu: yes

do i want them in the mcu: yes

can it be done: no not only because of licensing but simple because unless Marvel were going to move to a 5 film a year model then it would be pointless as we would either not getting any obscure films like runaways Black Panther or Captain Marvel or we wouldn't see any x-men films,

Spider-Man on the other hand is a different kettle of fish because Marvel would have options like doing a netflix series or doing a new trilogy. Its one property that you can easily incorporate into the bigger universe.
    Truth is the best policy

Incredible Member

I'm gonna say no.

While I've enjoyed alot of the marvel studios films, there's a shallowness that, to me, comes from an overly commercial imperative. The films are typically overly infused with humor, story elements are short changed for crossover appeal and the dramatic stakes are undercut by an aversion to too much sadness (see reason behind GotG ending revision) and constant death fakeouts.

I've really come to find the fandom superiority concerning marvel studios to have become quite tiresome. I really don't care which of Marvels films crossover anymore and could most likely list glaring changes from the source material in every MU flick (sourcing a change to the ultimate line doesn't fly with me as one of its purpose was to make the stories more adaptable to screen). Hawkeye has a very similar mask to Wolverine, yet it hasn't appeared on screen yet.

Now my main point of comparison would be the original X-men film and the Avengers. The original X-men the characters are well defined with distinct personalities, there's personal stakes and interactions, deep and resonant themes. The Avengers the characters primarily talk in this quirky Gilmore Girls esque dialog that seems like a writer trying to sound overly clever, there's some not great unnecessary humor, theme of standing up to tyranny and being momentarily distraught at family members acting out. The group can't get along, obvious fellowship of the ring homage scene, long action scene where one half is Thor, the Hulk and Ironman and the others 2 humans and one jacked up WW2 super soldier, which very uneven superteam. Widow/ Hawkeye have a history that's utterly uninteresting, Caps a judgemental jerk, Bruce is hilarious when he's fake scaring Widow, Fury defiles a fallen hero because the Avengers as established are squabbling children and need extra motivation to be motivated to defend against an invasion. Hawkeye is a murderous drone, but feels really bad about it for one scene after. Ironman has an actual arc in the movie and learns the true measure of a hero.

With the cringe worthy over-bantering, thin plot and draggy action heavy third act its actually a chore for me to rewatch this. X-men 1 really holds up well 14 years after the fact as a film. That's my perspective on it, do expect much disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Yes because then you can create a proper movieverse. Especially considering the amount of X-Men who join the avengers in the comics

The Fox films haven't been anything special anyway. Marvel seems like the best studio to be doing those movies, Singer just makes terrible decision after terrible decision.
    Since the movies do very well with the public Singer "terrible' decisions might not be that bad.

Fox has done very well with the X-movies, I don't think Disney could do as well

Fantastic Member

Eh, I'd love for marvel to have A crack at the X-men film franchise, I think fox doesn't really understand what it has because they keep showcasing the same characters and force feeding them to us like mainstays we want to see. I have mixed feelings about the first class series, because it doesn't feel much like an X-men film, more like characters that are in X-men are in a movie about a plot loosely based on something that happened in X-men.

At least with the marvel films they actually play up to the character's strengths and not just try to showcase one character over another as much. This won't happen though, and we'll be stuck with more first class movies. I don't think the "first class" movies themselves were bad, I just think they aren't great "X-men" Films.

X2 was an okay movie in my opinion, and I think it was possibly the best at showing the X-men as a unit (albeit wolverine was front and center for most of it again) but imo, they still have a long way to go before they get the X-men right. Especially if we're getting another movie focusing on Xavier,Mags and Mystique.
    Last edited by Neocide; 12-02-2014 at 11:46 AM.

since marvel have invested so much effort into the inhuman brand as replacement mutants, it is impossible to speculate a success for x-men with mcu. even if mcu got the x-men back, they would have to kill them off immediately.

My beef is with Marvel neglecting the X-Men in other areas like merch simply because they don't have film rights. It's hurting the fans and it's childish. So what if it somehow helps Fox's profits in the film department if they push X-Men other than in the comics! Marvel and the X-Men were created for the fans.

Sometimes I'd give an arm or leg just to hear Stan Lee's opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    I think there are lot of people who feel the X-Men films have been lackluster and not as daring as Marvel Studio's. What I feel these people are failing to take on board is that there was nearly a 10 year difference between the original X-Men and the first of the Marvel Studio's films.

Back in 2000 audiences and studios were far more cynical of the genre (mainly down to WB's Batman & Robin) and less open to the more fantastical and spectacular elements of the superhero movies of today. The foundations that the X-Men films played a large roll in laying, allowed Marvel to take it to the next level and I think FOX should be appreciated for helping us get to this point rather than vilified for not having the benefit of the established audience and legitimized genre that Marvel have benefited from.

Also with DOFP Fox have shown they want to get to the point where they can do the things that simply weren't possible financially or thematically back in 2000, I mean we are getting Apocalypse in an X-Men movie....who would have thought that back in 2002?

I for one loved the movies. Where they direct translations from the page? Well no. But did they treat the characters as a joke or a 2 hour toy commercial?..again no. We got a movie representation that the run time, money and technology could best interpret.

Back in the day you couldn't just announce sequel after sequel to build your world, you had to go in as if your current movie would be your last in the series.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Whilst the x-men films aren't exactly 100% true to the comics, they are getting better. It also irritates me when people talk as if marvel studios have never made a bad film, and then you look at Iron Man 2. Also the improvement in quality of x-films has grown hugely since First Class kind of gave the franchise a new lease of life. If FOX carry on the path they've set out with DOFP, then we are in store for some very exciting things....

BANNED

since marvel have invested so much effort into the inhuman brand as replacement mutants, it is impossible to speculate a success for x-men with mcu. even if mcu got the x-men back, they would have to kill them off immediately.
    Or they could reveal the inhumans to all be mutants!

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    The original X-men the characters are well X-men 1 really holds up well 14 years after the fact as a film. That's my perspective on it, do expect much disagreement.
    I think people forget that the first x-men film was released only 3 years after Batman and Robin. Just think how huge of an impact x-men 1 had on the comic book film genre. No one would even think of comparing Batman and Robin to today's superhero films, yet a lot of people seem fine to slate he early x-men films, when actually they stand the test of time pretty well.

Spectacular Member

I haven't watched an X film since X-3. When Fox reliquinshes rights back to Disney/Marvel, then I'll watch an X-film again.

Until then, bring on the Inhumans!
    Last edited by Rajikaru; 12-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    I haven't watched an X film since X-3. When Fox reliquinshes rights back to Disney/Marvel, then I'll watch an X-film again.

Until then, bring on the Inhumans!
    Maybe you should give First Class or Days of Future Past? They're both pretty good, and it's a bit unfair to judge the whole series just on X3, which we can all agree is not a good film.

Spectacular Member

I've got friends at work that are X movie fans and they know that I don't care about spoilers. And truth be told, I've caught... Maybe five minutes of First Class on tv and the ending of Woverine Origins while walking through a Best Buy years ago. From the little I've seen and from what I've been told, I'm done with the Fox franchise.

I'll never forgive them for their use of Deadpool in Origins.
    Last edited by Rajikaru; 12-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veriaqa View Post
    I agree, X-men could not work in a universe where everyone loves superheroes but hate mutants. X-men works perfectly in its own universe, whether it produced by Fox or Marvel it does not matter to me. But if Marvel produced it, there is a major possibility that the X-men universe will be blended to the MCU, so I prefer Fox to produce X-men movies.

Seriously, you want Wolverine to dress in yellow spandex, Cyclops to wear that head condom, and most of the x-women cast to parade in bikini... wait scratch the last one I do want to see Halle Berry in bikini flying and throwing thunder.
    Yes I do. Maybe not the bikinis but I'd love to see the costume brought to life. We have the FF Spider-man, avengers superman and batman able to wear colorful costumes. I want wolverine with a mask I want cyclops maybe in a varient of the jim lee look I want my super hero's on screen. Not whatever is the fox version.
    X-Men Forever