Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    So you think this sort of thing should just be swept under the rug. I think that says a lot. It's on the page and if it's not addressed it will always be a problematic part of this character's history. Pretty gross--especially since she's never been confirmed to be older than 13-15. But yeah, keep pairing and shipping her with people.
    WTF are you even talking about!? Nothing I typed had anything to do with me pairing or shipping Arisia with anyone. I can tell you have something up your ass for some reason, but don't take that out on me. Now that I think about it, I think this is the second time I've had to say something about this to you recently. So, it would be appreciated if you backed off. Thanks.

Since DC hasn't addressed that part of their history, including the Predator character, some great characters and concepts haven't been returned, like Katma Tui. Can't bring her back without explaining how she died. Can't explain why Carol killed her without the jealousy toward Arisia.

Also weirded out that fans keep shipping her with people.

Surprised DC hasn't retconned this already like Parallax, Barbara Gordon, or Sue Dibney-- or at least addressed it like Alexandra Dewitt or Jason Todd. Guess it's a part of their history they don't care to retcon.

https://www.looper.com/45506/disturb...omics-history/

Morrison is supposed to be this master of lost continuity, so I hope he addresses it.
    I assume if they ever address Katma's death again they'll probably retcon what happened.

Incredible Member

The funny thing is that when the Arisa Rrab character was first introduced, you could date/marry a girl of 13 years in the United States.

But let's play "Devil's Advocate" for a moment: given that Arisa's race has a long lifespan, did Hal do anything wrong? Sure, to her people, Arisa is a teenager, but she is chronologically three times older than your average human adult. Taking things further, what if Hal was in a situation where he was dating a member of a species where the average lifespan is eight years old (like Star Trek's Ocampa), where two years old is equivalent to twenty years old in human terms. Would Hal be wrong in dating two year old from another species?

My point is that we're getting too wrapped up in a discussion that is ultimately meaningless. As far as I am concerned, Hal dated a teenager (whom he didn't know was a teenager at the time), thought otherwise, broke up with her, and moved on. That's life. And, as I stated before, at the time of Arisa's introduction, it was legal to do so, and was not as scandalous and as criminal as it is today. We and society have changed, and now find such a scenario as inappropriate (and just as inappropriate as the "Pie Face" references in GL, too).

With that, we can move on without thought and shame, IMO.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    The funny thing is that when the Arisa Rrab character was first introduced, you could date/marry a girl of 13 years in the United States.

But let's play "Devil's Advocate" for a moment: given that Arisa's race has a long lifespan, did Hal do anything wrong? Sure, to her people, Arisa is a teenager, but she is chronologically three times older than your average human adult. Taking things further, what if Hal was in a situation where he was dating a member of a species where the average lifespan is eight years old (like Star Trek's Ocampa), where two years old is equivalent to twenty years old in human terms. Would Hal be wrong in dating two year old from another species?

My point is that we're getting too wrapped up in a discussion that is ultimately meaningless. As far as I am concerned, Hal dated a teenager (whom he didn't know was a teenager at the time), thought otherwise, broke up with her, and moved on. That's life. And, as I stated before, at the time of Arisa's introduction, it was legal to do so, and was not as scandalous and as criminal as it is today. We and society have changed, and now find such a scenario as inappropriate (and just as inappropriate as the "Pie Face" references in GL, too).

With that, we can move on without thought and shame, IMO.
    The fact that she is an adult in human years means nothing. She’s still mentally and physically a teenager. The reason why we have statutory rape laws that end at 18 is because that’s the age most humans reach full maturity. You don’t apply human age standards to an alien anymore then you count human age standards in dog years.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The fact that she is an adult in human years means nothing. She’s still mentally and physically a teenager. The reason why we have statutory rape laws that end at 18 is because that’s the age most humans reach full maturity. You don’t apply human age standards to an alien anymore then you count human age standards in dog years.
    But isn't that what you're doing?

She was in the GLC - bore a GL ring, patrolled a sector of space and asked to fight in a war for the Guardians. The Guardians were shown to have age restrictions when John was passed up (even if that was a retcon). The Guardians esssentially vouched for her maturity - they don't recruit children. The rest is like you said, just trying to wrench together alien and human standards. It was an ill-advised storyline because some people were always going to always see her as "underage." (also, I would defy you to find an 18 yr old who has reached "full maturity" - 18 yrs is a random designation for legal and wartime draft reasons)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-28-2019 at 01:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume if they ever address Katma's death again they'll probably retcon what happened.
    I doubt they're going to because they want to avoid this. People get defensive about their indulgences. Thing is that things tend to blow up when they go unaddressed.

BANNED

Honestly strange to see people defending this but okay.

Maybe you're misunderstanding my postition - it was a bad storyline that felt gross and never should have been written. But Hal Jordan is hero and not a pedophile - that's not how he's written and the other members of the GLC didn't treat him like one. So there was some in-universe reason for why it was okay, but it still wasn't good writing and most readers understand that. It's not something that needs to be addressed - just like many other bad stories are better off forgotten rather than brought up again.

BANNED

Yeah, it was fucking hilarious that grown men were raping children and facing no consequences.

Just a barrel of laughs.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    ...Which means nothing, when comparing "back then" to "now". Again, when the actual book came out, laws of consent were much different, which is why Hal dating Arisa should not be considered to be a big deal. Times have change because the culture has changed. However, if Hal was dating a teenager NOW, you would have a point. Still, the real question should be whether or not the entire affair should be "excised" from comic book continuity, precisely because times have changed. Personally, I don't see why not, since doing so won't effect the larger narrative of Hal Jordan being Green Lantern.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    Yeah, it was fucking hilarious that grown men were raping children and facing no consequences.

Just a barrel of laughs.
    Actually, what's funny is that you are apply modern sensibilities to mating habits that go back when human beings had short lifespans and a different cultural mindset. And pointing something out doesn't mean an endorsement of said mindset either. Get grip. If you took an anthropology or even an ancient history course, you'd know this already.

Has Arissa even been mentioned since the pre-Flashpoint universe ended?

BANNED

Actually, what's funny is that you are apply modern sensibilities to mating habits that go back when human beings had short lifespans and a different cultural mindset. And pointing something out doesn't mean an endorsement of said mindset either. Get grip. If you took an anthropology or even an ancient history course, you'd know this already.
    The movement to raise the age of consent to 16 years old in the US was prominent dating back to the 1900s. Like with all social change, it was a struggle that took time to gain widespread implementation. Even back then there were many who wanted to raise it to 21.

Plenty of people knew it was wrong for adults to rape children. They were on the right side of history, the writers that concocted Arisia weren't.

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union petitioned Congress to raise the age of consent in 1888, and the movement gained ground in the 1920.

Creepy doesn't even begin describe you excusing the rape of children in the 1980s.
    Last edited by Rosa Luxemburg; 09-29-2019 at 03:16 AM.

What should DC do? Make a Green Lantern arc called " Hall Jordan, Pedophile?". Bring this up now would be a horrible idea, the only thing DC could achieve is making a dumb stoyline from decades ago relevant again, and turn one of their biggest characters toxic in the eyes of a great portion of the públic. Almost all older comic book heroes havê controversial moments, some the readers forget and forgive, others are ruined because of it, Spiderman hit Mary Jane once, but almost nobody remember it, but Hank Pym is forever defined by that panel where he slaps Janet.

Incredible Member

Eh, I think you're all missing two points. First, Arisia had already physically grown up when Hal finally accepted her love. Second, it was stated in comics that her mental age was actually 28 in human age standard. So how comes that "underage" thing? You date a woman who used to be a girl and that makes you pedophile? If so all men are pedophiles on this planet.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 09-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.