Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #15 preview/(spoiler) discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Right off the bat, I gotta say the writing has a really nice bounce to it in these pages. I'm a sucker for cold opens like this that take place after the events we assumed we'd start on.

You kind of forget what finally getting Zaar means to Clark, and the art reminds you and sells the hell out of it. And as a personal thing, I always love it when the cape comes over his shoulders.

I have to assume that's like some combo red sun/gravity/stasis generator Zaar is being held in.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-16-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Will Rogol Zaar be the DC equivalent of The Hood?

"Is your family okay?" - Does Adam have a kid again? Or is it just him, Alanna, and Sardath? Maybe teasing what King's doing? Probably looking too much into it.

That one page has probably the best depiction of Saturn Girl's new look that I've seen yet. But man, her costume has a lot of lines on it. Granted, everyone in the Legion does now.

I have to wonder how much of the Legion's dialogue in this issue is going to be made up of talking points and talking about the events that made them come there, as well as inviting Jon to join the Legion. Will any of them get to exhibit some actual characterization? I'm actually thinking to myself whether we needed all of them here instead of just the founding three, but they probably wanted to show off more of the Legion redesigns.

Look Clark! It's Mon-El! Oh wait, you probably don't know him .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have to wonder how much of the Legion's dialogue in this issue is going to be made up of talking points and talking about the events that made them come there, as well as inviting Jon to join the Legion. Will any of them get to exhibit some actual characterization? I'm actually thinking to myself whether we needed all of them here instead of just the founding three, but they probably wanted to show off more of the Legion redesigns.
    Probably the vast majority of their dialogue, I'd imagine, and that makes sense. And I kind of really like that it's all of them. In story, I'd imagine if everyone there was inspired by this moment, they'd want to come along and see it. Out of story, I like that it holds nothing back when it comes to the vastness of the Legion when compared to other teams.

Nope. Don't suppose he would

I'm so curious as to how Mon-El is going to work now that he's likely a 31st century native. I still hope Dispenser of Truth's theory of him being a descendant of the house of El. They've gotta explain his surname somehow.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's safe to assume that Superman wasn't a member of the Legion in this new continuity. Or Saturn Girl wiped his memory as a kid and didn't bother to restore it. Either way, it looks like this isn't the pre-Flashpoint continuity. This would explain DDC #11. Is that Storm in the background?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Probably the vast majority of their dialogue, I'd imagine, and that makes sense. And I kind of really like that it's all of them. In story, I'd imagine if everyone there was inspired by this moment, they'd want to come along and see it. Out of story, I like that it holds nothing back when it comes to the vastness of the Legion when compared to other teams.
    It's also an established Bendis convention for large groups .

(Who would've thought Bendis would pick the team with the biggest standing roster of any DC team?).
    Nope. Don't suppose he would
    What a bummer .
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that Superman wasn't a member of the Legion in this new continuity. Or Saturn Girl wiped his memory as a kid and didn't bother to restore it. Either way, it looks like this isn't the pre-Flashpoint continuity. This would explain DDC #11. Is that Storm in the background?
    Of the girls in the top right background? I think from left to right that's Phantom Girl (?), Princess Projectra, and Shrinking Violet.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Of the girls in the top right background? I think from left to right that's Phantom Girl (?), Princess Projectra, and Shrinking Violet.
    The one in the green. That's 1980s Storm.
    Assassinate Putin!

That was cold, man.

Anyway! I like the preview. Amazing art, as always. I like the way Bendis structures this opening.

The hug with Adam Strange is a little weird.

Still dislike how Bendis has handled the UP thing with the Legion, but I cannot bitch about his craftsmanship here. Last issue was solidly done and this one is looking good so far.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The one in the green. That's 1980s Storm.
    Because of the mohawk-esque hairdo? It's Shrinking Violet though .

There he is...
    There you are...

Later but same page...
    We are ok...
    Yes we are ok

Who talks like this??? Why repeats like that is that a new adam strange thing?
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    There he is...
    There you are...

Later but same page...
    We are ok...
    Yes we are ok

Well Tom King's new story is with Adam Strange

There he is...
    There you are...

Later but same page...
    We are ok...
    Yes we are ok

That's more a Bendis quirk than anything. He writes dialogue like that to try to make it more natural apparently. While people do have a tendency to occasionally repeat back questions like that, he does it at a level that I think is a bit extreme.

Having characters say each other's names, particularly one like Adam Strange is also supposedly something he does so that new readers are always able to figure out who all the characters are.

There he is...
    There you are...

Later but same page...
    We are ok...
    Yes we are ok

Bendis does.
    He does?
    Yes, Bendis does.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis does.
    He does?
    Yes, Bendis does.
    So, bendis is from bizarro universe. confirmed.

Man, this issue was great. There remains some mysteries, but I think it also give us some form of closure and... and well, I really love Bendis' version of Zod.

spoilers:
    And I know it's basically a re-thread of the Oz Effect's ending, but I find this one far better. At least I feel like Superman and his family achieved something, and in fact something truly enormous. Forged the United Planet, ended war on a galactic scale for the time being, pacified Zod and clearly started to forge bonds with his House... Plus the Legion of Super-heroes among whom one as a crush on Kara, which I find hilarious, honestly !

So I really can't complain about it being the Oz Effect without the bitter elements.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Korath; 09-18-2019 at 01:49 AM.