View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probability010 View Post
    I actually hated that panel, especially the line “… a man who could kill me with a thought”. Like, as if she couldn’t do the same to him. Ok, maybe not back then, but even there I wouldn’t be so sure.
    Even her original 'hex bolts' power could give someone a stroke (although, per the Marvel Handbook, she *chose* what 'bad thing' happened to her target, and could do so reliably for *hours* of casting hex bolt after hex bolt, so she just didn't ever *choose* to give someone an embolism, or some other fatal bodily malfunction).

She was never not a lethal weapon, loaded and ready to fire. Anything that could go wrong, she could make happen, right now. Oops, the street just collapsed under your feet and you caught the A-train. (Or, more accurately, it caught you.) Oops, a city bus just swerved out of control and ran you over. Oops, apparently 'blue ice' falling from the sky is not an urban myth. Oops, heart attack. Too many cheeseburgers, I guess...

What are the odds that one of the SHIELD drones monitoring this super-event would suck a bit of debris into a fan and spiral out of control, only to hit you and then explosively self-destruct? 100%, apparently, 'cause it just happened!

Long before Bendis and 'reality manipulation' (or 'chaos magic' before that) she was capable of being a supreme badass with her original power, in the hands of a writer with an ounce of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    One comic that shows how that could work is the Avengers issue Mark Waid wrote during the Onslaught era, which dealt with Wanda's trauma over her years with Magneto (because of the whole ridiculous plot in X-Men at the time with "Joseph," the younger Magneto who later turned out not to be Magneto). Quicksilver referred to Magneto as "our father" once and that was literally the only mention of their parentage. Everything else was about their years in the Brotherhood with Magneto, which has always been the same no matter who their parents are.

Waid probably wrote it that way because he's a Silver Age guy who wasn't into that later retcon, but it does show how Magneto is a bigger part of their lives as their ex-boss, rather than their father - he didn't raise them so basically the only plot point they could get from that was Pietro and Wanda worrying that they were destined to be evil because of who their dad was.

That image represents child abuse. If Magneto is her father, she is better off without him.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    That image represents child abuse. If Magneto is her father, she is better off without him.
    A lot of people either want to forget he's a villain or justify it. He's complex. I wonder if he's ever asked for forgiveness. Maybe he has even though he isn't her father.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    They are better off without him. The only person who ever benefited from the relationship was Magneto as it helped humanise him. For Wanda and Pietro it just added another layer of angst.
    True, which is why I never liked the Magneto connection! I wanted the twins to finally have some peace and possibly family/parents someone other than Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True, which is why I never liked the Magneto connection! I wanted the twins to finally have some peace and possibly family/parents someone other than Magneto.
    They have/had a new mum, sadly the door is left open for Magneto to still be their dad

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    He was a villain, he didn't know they were his kids.

He changed once he found out. He's changed a lot since then.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    He was a villain, he didn't know they were his kids.

He changed once he found out. He's changed a lot since then.
    This isn't true. He also manipulated Wanda after he found out she was his daughter. That's part of the whole Darker than Scarlet thing. He also killed Pietro long after that.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I read Darker than Scarlet and the only thing Magneto did on that story was take Wanda to asteroid M after she went comatose because of her loss of Vision and her children and even he was surprised by the level of bloodlust she had because of inmourtus mendling with her.

I agree about Pietro´s dead during HoM but even before that Magneto was doing everything he could to help Wanda recover after Avengers Dissasembled and he thought it was Pietro´s fault Wanda created HoM. He also helped Pietro after Wanda almost killed him during the AXIS crossover. All in all I would say Pietro is the character who suffers the most everytime Wanda or Magneto lose control of themselves.

I think that they COULD have an interesting relationship if marvel decided to undo the retcon but I agree with you in that if all we will have is the old "my dad is guilty of eveything bad I do" then maybe is better for them to stay separated or at least just have Pietro and Magneto interacting as they had a closer relationship than Wanda and Magneto and the relationship with the mutant side of the MU is a lot more important for Pietro than for Wanda.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-20-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I read Darker than Scarlet and the only thing Magneto did on that story was take Wanda to asteroid M after she went comatose because of her loss of Vision and her children and even he was surprised by the level of bloodlust she had because of inmourtus mendling with her.

I agree about Pietro´s dead during HoM but even before that Magneto was doing everything he could to help Wanda recover after Avengers Dissasembled and he thought it was Pietro´s fault Wanda created HoM. He also helped Pietro after Wanda almost killed him during the AXIS crossover. All in all I would say Pietro is the character who suffers the most everytime Wanda or Magneto lose control of themselves.

I think that they COULD have an interesting relationship if marvel decided to undo the retcon but I agree with you in that if all we will have is the old "my dad is guilty of eveything bad I do" then maybe is better for them to stay separated or at least just have Pietro and Magneto interacting as they had a closer relationship than Wanda and Magneto and the relationship with the mutant side of the MU is a lot more important for Pietro than for Wanda.
    Before the Immortus stuff was even found out about, it was revealed that Mags was taken advantage of Wanda's weakened state to get her at his side. Which is all kind of messed up instead of being concerned for his daughter's well being. And wanting to get her better. He did better with her in HoM. But then the thing with Pietro happened.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Well, there is some meme level of ridiculousness with “Wanda taking a nap in Magneto's place and suddenly decided to mess things up.” I wonder if Bendis get the idea from Byrne with that one too.
    And honestly those bad things probably won't got written into existence if there is no that connection. Wanda is often in that place due to convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Before the Immortus stuff was even found out about, it was revealed that Mags was taken advantage of Wanda's weakened state to get her at his side. Which is all kind of messed up instead of being concerned for his daughter's well being. And wanting to get her better. He did better with her in HoM. But then the thing with Pietro happened.
    It was during the Act of Vengance crossover by John Byne when marvel wanted to change Magneto back into a villain still even he was careful enough to show there was concern on Magneto´s part for Wanda, enough to call Pietro and talk about her situation. And HOM is HOM,there has been enough fights over that story imo.

I think this family has some oportunities for a more positive relationship between the characters but of course they would need to think beyod making them fight between each other.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash
    Well, there is some meme level of ridiculousness with “Wanda taking a nap in Magneto's place and suddenly decided to mess things up.” I wonder if Bendis get the idea from Byrne with that one too.
    And honestly those bad things probably won't got written into existence if there is no that connection. Wanda is often in that place due to convenience.
    Agreed, Bendis took a lot of clues from Byrne´s run to make his Avengers Dissasembled crossover

I think the problem with Wanda is that she´s so powerful that it´s interesting to see her fight her friends from an story arc pov, the problem is that they always do so while making her lose her own pov, we get nothing from her when the writers use her this way, the same happened recently when she got possesed by Chton again, we never got any word from her about her feelings over that, unlike for example Jean during Dark Phoenix, the focus of the story is never on her and that´s why she can´t get character grow from those events because she´s used like a plot device and not a character in the story. I would like to read at least once an story about her keeping her pov during a time where she has to make hard choices imo that would add to her character arc and it would allow the reader to better understand her.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-20-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Extraordinary Member

Ah, the good old days when everyone at the company except Chris Claremont wanted Magneto to be a villain again, so every time he appeared in a non-X-book he would be acting like his pre-1980s self again, but not quite actually contradicting his portrayal in the X-books.

I would not say everyone exactly, the first time Magneto got written in a more ambigous way was during Secret Wars I by Jim Shooter while Claremont wrote him first as an actual enemy of the X-men and from that he developed him into a more ambigous character with a long story before he even knew he was a mutant and got a complete character arc from villain to a grey character who took seriously his change of heart and his alliance with the X-men. Claremont also had an interesting rivalry with Byrne over what character was better Magneto or Dr Doom but still Byrne was proffessional enough to not write Magneto wildly out of character unlike some modern writers.

Ultimate Member

I would not say everyone exactly, the first time Magneto got written in a more ambigous way was during Secret Wars I by Jim Shooter...
    I was just thinking of that very scene, where the heroes (and Magneto) appear in one batch, and the villains in a second batch, leading to some consternation among the heroes (FF, Spidey, Avengers), and the X-Men splitting off from the 'hero' group to form their own third group.

And then Magneto and Wasp having a kinda/sorta fling? How random was that... Magneto, Alex Summers, create an AU and she ends up with the oddest mutants...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-20-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was just thinking of that very scene, where the heroes (and Magneto) appear in one batch, and the villains in a second batch, leading to some consternation among the heroes (FF, Spidey, Avengers), and the X-Men splitting off from the 'hero' group to form their own third group.

And then Magneto and Wasp having a kinda/sorta fling? How random was that... Magneto, Alex Summers, create an AU and she ends up with the oddest mutants...
    Lol she even made a reference about it when she was with Alex

I don´t think that one night stand makes him your ex-boyfriend Janet, especially when you did it just to know his plans, that was mean
    RCO015_copy.jpg
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-20-2019 at 10:55 PM.