Page 427 of 550 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437477527 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,405 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I think that is a "No-Win" situation.
    Agreed; ultimately I don't think either side will be thrilled by the conclusions. Though it's worth talking about; we must talk about the difficult issues, not just which Disney prince is hottest... and ON THAT NOTE:

Who doesn't love a big of cosplay
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ha, Aladdin was the one who made me realise I might be gay. My school friends were all about jasmine and I was all like "yeah plus aladdins abs right" and they were like "we didn't notice" and I was like "hmm"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The new Suicide Squad/Bannana Splits comic has a back story featuring Snagglepuss. It's set in the 50's and SP is appearing before the House of Unamerican Activities. It's clear that Snagglepuss is based on Tennesee Williams with perhaps a dash of Oscar Wilde.
    I can't wait to read that. Might even try the flintstones one too. I watched the Addams family movies recently and I loved how timeless they are

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I have a question: about two weeks ago there was a spat in the British news about leading feminists saying trans women "aren't real women." Now while the headline is blood boiling, the point they are trying to convey... I sort of understand. Basically they are saying that having a sex change doesn't suddenly mean you "get" what it means to live as a woman. And that logic... I can't help but understand. We are the sum of our experiences... and growing up shapes who we are; by the time we're 18 we are formed, shaped through our life experiences. I feel like a bad LGBT+er, because I want to be super supportive, but I can't help but see the point being made.

Thoughts?
    I don't agree at all tbh. Trans women are still women and they steal deal with sexism with people calling them sissies etc. likewise trans men deal with that because when they are growing up people assume they are women and treat them the same. I don't think feminism can work til it benefits all women.

It's like recently when I was choosing who to vote for I had to ask myself if it was worth voting for a racist politician who could give me equal marriage rights or going for a minor party and keeping my moral superiority. In the end, I had to go for the second option. I may not have equal rights but if I sacrifice other people for my rights I'm no better than people who vote for homophobic, racist politicians so that they can get a tax break

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Ha, Aladdin was the one who made me realise I might be gay. My school friends were all about jasmine and I was all like "yeah plus aladdins abs right" and they were like "we didn't notice" and I was like "hmm"
    Ha, DITTO! For me it was a combo of Aladdin, He-Man in Masters of the Universe (1987), Atreyu in the Neverending Story (1984) and Tom Cruise in Legend (1985) (that little gold dress... woof!).

I don't agree at all tbh. Trans women are still women and they steal deal with sexism with people calling them sissies etc. likewise trans men deal with that because when they are growing up people assume they are women and treat them the same. I don't think feminism can work til it benefits all women.
    But one of the arguements is it's erasing female struggle; which... I kind of agree with. Young girls are taught, so so early on that men are in-charge, that their voice matters less, and they see themselves as princesses, as wives, as eye candy. And by the time they have grown up that societal mentality has shaped them. Growing up knowing they can't walk through a park alone at night, experiencing street harassment FOR YEARS AND YEARS; all these things... shape people. Someone who grows up male (while they do very much have their own struggles, their own experiences, I'm not taking that away) doesn't have their life and personality shaped by these realities of growing up female. The struggles experienced by a trans person growing up, and a woman growing up is not the same thing. The same way growing up gay and white is different than the struggles experienced by someone growing up black and str8. If that makes sense? Though I agree, there is no "win" in this scenario.

It's like recently when I was choosing who to vote for I had to ask myself if it was worth voting for a racist politician who could give me equal marriage rights or going for a minor party and keeping my moral superiority. In the end, I had to go for the second option. I may not have equal rights but if I sacrifice other people for my rights I'm no better than people who vote for homophobic, racist politicians so that they can get a tax break
    Did you see the video of the former PM vs the current PM on misogyny in Australia? She NAILED him to the wall. Was she a good PM, obviously I don't know much about her, outside of that and the misogynist menu at the rival fund raiser by her opponents.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

But one of the arguements is it's erasing female struggle; which... I kind of agree with. Young girls are taught, so so early on that men are in-charge, that their voice matters less, and they see themselves as princesses, as wives, as eye candy. And by the time they have grown up that societal mentality has shaped them. Growing up knowing they can't walk through a park alone at night, experiencing street harassment FOR YEARS AND YEARS; all these things... shape people. Someone who grows up male (while they do very much have their own struggles, their own experiences, I'm not taking that away) doesn't have their life and personality shaped by these realities of growing up female. The struggles experienced by a trans person growing up, and a woman growing up is not the same thing. The same way growing up gay and white is different than the struggles experienced by someone growing up black and str8. If that makes sense? Though I agree, there is no "win" in this scenario.
    Unless trans folks are about to stage some sort of a coup, I'll have to politely disagree with the assertion that it's "Erasing" anything.

That reality will not go away once you've decided who is and who is not a "Real" woman. Who is "Real" is only an even remotely serious issue once someone decides to make it one.

BANNED

If your assumption that trans women ever actually "really were men", you're starting off deep in the wrong.

Unless trans folks are about to stage some sort of a coup, I'll have to politely disagree with the assertion that it's "Erasing" anything.
    "Erasing" in the sense of being a woman is about the female experience; which includes what society puts on you as a child, as you grow up, etc. And the point the feminists were trying to make (I think) is (in their eyes) a woman is the sum of her experiences, and a large chunk of that is what you experience growing up with society treating you as a woman. If that makes sense? I really need to find the articles, because maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

I see their point, but I don't know, I feel like a bad gay for not being more adamantly "no, that is wrong to say that".

That reality will not go away once you've decided who is and who is not a "Real" woman. Who is "Real" is only an even remotely serious issue once someone decides to make it one.
    Agreed, very much agreed; and when you go down that path... it's absurd. I do remember one of the feminists lost the plot and talked about "safe zones" like female changing rooms (her words) and HELL NO. One, if we are talking about women not being "objectified", that instantly ignored LGBT+ women in those changing rooms (not saying all LGBT+ women perve in changing rooms, of course, but certainly some LGBT+ women "notice" attractive bodies in the changing rooms, as LGBT+ men do in male changing rooms). Two, the idea women "look" a certain way is very offensive to less feminine (but nonetheless heterosexual) women too. But the feminist movement has (sadly) has not always be great at supporting women of colour or LGBT+ women; so talking about this issue as if the world is str8, white, pretty, thin women vs trans women; isn't too surprising (just a little disappointing).

I decided to read some indies comics from not well know companies and i found one called Unleash this is the description.

"Assault survivor Emmie wants to change the world by creating her own superhero persona. Unfortunately her plans are limited, as being a hero takes more than a costume. In a strange twist of fate, Emmie forms an agreement with the most unlikely crime-fighting partner you could imagine. Now she can lay her own brand of twisted justice down on sexual predators."

Why i am posting this here? well because the comic involve, well, let say non consensual sex between men is an important part of the crime fighting in this book, they never show the act or anything graphic but man, the build up to that scenes is kinda scary and i will be honest this was the first comic that made me feel uncomfortable.

Invincible Member

How so, in the sense is Snagglepuss being charged with a crime? I don't read DC, and I'm sure some Marvel names look silly when first reading them... but Snagglepuss? LOL! Then again I just learned yesterday there is a French athlete called Gaylord Silly.
    Well, the name is silly on purpose. Snagglepuss was a TV cartoon created by Hanna Barbara in the early 60's. These were the people who did Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla, etc. DC Comics now has the rights to several of the HB characters. Snaggle Puss was a mountain lion who thought he was an actor. His catchphrase was "Exit stage left!"

In this "mature" revamp, SP is a playwright from the American South who is probably gay ( although it's not stated outright in this story). The HUAC is questioning him on his knowledge of communists and the unwholesome nature of his plays. This was a real thing that happened to people, especially artists, in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, the name is silly on purpose. Snagglepuss was a TV cartoon created by Hanna Barbara in the early 60's. These were the people who did Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla, etc. DC Comics now has the rights to several of the HB characters. Snaggle Puss was a mountain lion who thought he was an actor. His catchphrase was "Exit stage left!"

In this "mature" revamp, SP is a playwright from the American South who is probably gay ( although it's not stated outright in this story). The HUAC is questioning him on his knowledge of communists and the unwholesome nature of his plays. This was a real thing that happened to people, especially artists, in the 50's.
    For reference...

Ha, DITTO! For me it was a combo of Aladdin, He-Man in Masters of the Universe (1987), Atreyu in the Neverending Story (1984) and Tom Cruise in Legend (1985) (that little gold dress... woof!).

Did you see the video of the former PM vs the current PM on misogyny in Australia? She NAILED him to the wall. Was she a good PM, obviously I don't know much about her, outside of that and the misogynist menu at the rival fund raiser by her opponents.
    Yeah my first real life one was Ryan Phillipe in cruel intentions. If you've seen the movie you can probably guess which scene lol. Also goku which is random (obviously not live action though)

Yeah we've had another prime minister since then. She was ok but very weak on any issue that could possibly be controversial, including marriage equality. It's partly I think why people lost interest in her and why she got scuttled by her party. We have leadership changes often here

Incredible Member

Cruel Intentions? I prefer Dangerous Liaisons...

Speaking of period pieces...

13 year old me after seeing Much Ado About Nothing was like:

"These are not the feels my Irish Catholic parent's were looking for."

"Stop tearing my pictures of Linda Evangelista off of my bedroom walls Mom!"
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 04-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    If your assumption that trans women ever actually "really were men", you're starting off deep in the wrong.
    This. Seconded.
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 04-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.

BANNED

that stupid orange hate (Free Speech) bus tried rolling into New Haven, CT - two separate protests/rallies stopped that s**t

RE: transphobia

I am also very disturbed when self described feminists spout off such ignorant and hateful stuff as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    Seconded.

I have rarely felt as alienated as I do when "feminist" "friends" of mine start spitting out transmisogynist BS... or any antiI -LGBTQIA sh*t. The last time this happened I felt so awful I ran into a bathroom to cry. I wish I was tougher in these moments...
    I put the most ignorant on trans issues poster on ignore, but alas, he gets quoted.

I found this on twitter. Might be helpful:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I put the most ignorant on trans issues poster on ignore, but alas, he gets quoted.

I found this on twitter. Might be helpful:

Thank you for posting that.
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 04-15-2017 at 05:35 PM.