Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should I read to fall in love for Donna Troy?

Okay, so I haven't read a lot of in-continuity Wonder Woman (some Marston, some Pérez, some Simone, all of Azzarello and Rucka) and I really want to know more about Donna and like her as much as you guys do. So what should I read in order to achieve that? I know her backstory is really messy so I thought I could ask you!

Thanks in advance!

Extraordinary Member

Basically go to the first Teen Titans comic done by Perez and Woflman, and start reading

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The 'Donna Troy Bible' is the entire Marv Wolfman/George Perez run on New Teen Titans, presently in paperback (or 'trades'). That might sound confusing, but, Donna was developed outside of the WW comic - her powers, motivations, backstory, friends, boyfriends, etc. NTT is the comic that put her on the A-list of superheroes, ..in the 80s.

Get those paperbacks, read all of the volumes, and you'll get your Donna.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-13-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

Donna Troy.jpg

You should read this.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The 'Donna Troy Bible' is the entire Marv Wolfman/George Perez run on New Teen Titans, presently in paperback (or 'trades'). That might sound confusing, but, Donna was developed outside of the WW comic - her powers, motivations, backstory, friends, boyfriends, etc. NTT is the comic that put her on the A-list of superheroes, ..in the 80s.

Get those paperbacks, read all of the volumes, and you'll get your Donna.
    He's right. There's no one issue that really gives you all the best parts of (the real) Wonder Girl. TNTT 1-50 (plus the annuals) captures all the best of her.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Donna Troy.jpg

You should read this.
    This would be an excellent short story to read if you don't want to dive into the entire series. This is Dick and Donna perfectly. A great story for Donna Troy.

Boisterously Confused

Another good single issue is TNTT Annual 2. Wonder Girl's not the focus, but you get a view of a lot of her different facets. She does some proper @**-kickin', but we also see her standing up for what she thinks is right, in opposition to Robin.

images(6).jpg

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, Wolfman and Perez's Titans are the best Donna ever was and the last time she made sense as a character. You'll love her there, and be endlessly frustrated with how DC gradually botched the character more and more from Crisis onward.

Retired

I think the love for Donna Troy starts with the visual at the end of TEEN TITANS No. 22 (July-August 1969), "The Origin of Wonder Girl" by Marv Wolfman, Gil Kane and Nick Cardy. That story, which establshes Donna Troy as not a younger Wonder Woman, gives her a new look--which is then celebrated on the cover of the next issue by Nick Cardy, TEEN TITANS No. 23 (Septenber-October 1969).

Comic book lovers tend to be attracted first by the look of the character and because Donna looked so good in those visuals--fans decided she had to be an interesting character worth their time. And I think Wolfman & Perez also wanted to have Donna in their comic for the same reason.

Not to be too superficial (but with a two-dimensional art form, it can't be helped), the success of Donna really rises and falls on how well she's drawn. When artists draw her well, she does well. When they draw her badly, her fortunes fall.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, Wolfman and Perez's Titans are the best Donna ever was and the last time she made sense as a character. You'll love her there, and be endlessly frustrated with how DC gradually botched the character more and more from Crisis onward.
    AGREED! Never quite understood why after Infinite Crisis Power Girl's pre-Crisis history was restored, Justice League pre-Crisis history restored as Wonder Woman founding member but, Donna's pre-Crisis history of being raised on Themyscira was not restored. Anyway... Here is a link to a similar CBR thread with responses by the wonderful and amazing Carol Strickland:

http://community.comicbookresources....mended-reading

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Basically go to the first Teen Titans comic done by Perez and Woflman, and start reading

Y'know, I might have been the only mid-teen boy of my generation that thought Wonder Girl was way hotter than Starfire.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Y'know, I might have been the only mid-teen boy of my generation that thought Wonder Girl was way hotter than Starfire.
    Not the only one - I would agree with you to this day.

I vaguely recall that Petez and Wolfman (maybe both) once commented that Donna was the one that would been the dream choice as a girl friend. I can see why. Besides being devastatingly gorgeous, she is mature, open, vulnerable and occasionally quite sassy
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

As others have said, it's NTT all the way to fall in love with Donna.

Her origin always had her relationship with Wonder Woman explained and implied, versus really shown with any depth comparatively to Kid Flash or Robin. That really got doubled down on post-Crisis and Donna's new origin with the Titans of Myth and not treating the beginning of Perez's run as Diana's Year One early in her career and the appearance of Wonder Woman in the DCU.

I think Troia only appeared in a couple of Perez's Wonder Woman issues after "Who is Wonder Girl?", where they kinda admit to feeling connected via the Olympians and Titans.

Then it was the Byrne mess, but at least Jimenez and Simone got on with it and portrayed them as friends and sisters during their adventures together.

For my money, I want a full-tilt-boogie reboot of Donna and get back to the child saved by Diana from some calamity in Patriarch's World and taking to Themyscira to be raised by Hippolyta as an adopted daughter. Somewhere in there is an adventure I have in mind that shows Donna's bravery, intelligence, skill, and tenacity and somehow grants her Amazon-like superpowers.

Retired

I feel like George and Marv ruined Donna when they married her to their surrogate--Terry Long. An older guy with fuzzy hair and a fuzzy beard, with intellectual pretensions. A lot of the fun in Donna was seeing her tease Dick and Wally and Roy--guys her own age. I never wanted to see her married off to some old fuddy-duddy. That was one of the biggest bad decisions on THE NEW TEEN TITANS run and augured the other bad decisions that would come.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The whole Terry Long situation is just weird. I agree that he's pretty awful, but the wedding issue is one of the best single issues in the run.

I think Donna was a better character in that era at least, Terry and all, than she is now.