Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Val Armorr vs Iron Fist, Shang Chi, and the Mandrin at once.

Marvel characters get Chi powers if applicable but no Rings for the Mandrin. Pick any major version of Karate Kid you want, standard scenario. Do the Marvel Characters have what it takes to collectively beat KK or are they just Cannon fodder for the ridiculous feat machine that is Val?

I'm assuming that you are talking about the original Val Amorr, not the reboot or threeboot versions that lack the classic feats. This board emphasizes character feats, and the original Val has a track record of breaking steel and hitting characters that are faster than bullet-timers, like Superboy and Mon-El. Iron Fist and Shang-Chi are just bullet-timers, and nowhere near as tough as Superboy. Mandarin is really tough, but doesn't even have aim dodging feats, let alone bullet-timing. So Val is going to blitz Iron Fist and Shang-Chi, and then hit Mandarin at will while evading all his attacks. Val for the win.

No. Frankly not a hope.

Val’s reactions are too good, and he’s much, much more skilled.

I mean we don’t even have Mantis here, who is usually regarded as Marvel’s top martial artist. But that wouldn’t matter anyway.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    No. Frankly not a hope.

Val’s reactions are too good, and he’s much, much more skilled.

I mean we don’t even have Mantis here, who is usually regarded as Marvel’s top martial artist. But that wouldn’t matter anyway.
    Shoot! I knew I was overlooking one close to CBPH Marvel Uber Martial Artist...

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Speedwise, Val is ridiculously faster than any of these guys.

Hitting power, Val hits hard enough to knock the wind from PC Superboy. With great effort, he can shatter the Emerald Eye, which has resisted kicks from Superboy. He chops through Inertron. He shuts down massive earthquakes by stomping on the ground. Some of that is 'finding weaknesses' (which he is just fine at doing here, against these guys), some of that is just straight hitting power. For an example of that, Val punches the 40' tall Colossal Boy, and sends him flying like a bullet straight through a wall, out of a tower that both of them happen to be in.

Basically, he blitzes the trio and folds all of them - including Mandarin - in half with his hits.

Really, you could throw basically all of Marvel and DC's other martial artists into the mix (I'm talking about characters known for being martial artists, not 'superspeed bricks who happen to know some martial arts', if you get my meaning) and Val still laughingly stomps them all.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    Shoot! I knew I was overlooking one close to CBPH Marvel Uber Martial Artist...
    Like I said, it wouldn’t make any difference. But calling Mantis “close to CBPH” is certainly a novel take.

Mantis hit a Marvel speedster once, but the Whizzer is pretty slow compared to some of the people that Val Armorr has hit. I think that he will blitz her, too.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Mantis hit a Marvel speedster once, but the Whizzer is pretty slow compared to some of the people that Val Armorr has hit. I think that he will blitz her, too.
    Given the people VAL has hit, I figure Mantis' big feat of 'run across a large distance and shove someone out of the way of a shotgun blast' is pretty nothing compared to his speed. I mean...dude has done stuff like 'catch speedsters who were evading the entire league', 'respond to a multiples-of-lightspeed blitz attempt by Mon-El', that kind of stuff. Not even getting into the ridiculousness of 'retroactively dodging speedforce death lightning', then pointing out that Wally West isn't the fastest guy around, just to make sure people get the hint.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Fun fact, Val's middle name is "Plot".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Wasn't there a Silver Surfer Rogue whose gimmick was that he was a martial artist?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Wasn't there a Silver Surfer Rogue whose gimmick was that he was a martial artist?
    Midnight Sun. A fedora- and trenchcoat- wearing, mute (I think) amnesiac with metal discs on his hands and feet.

The only guy who is simultaneously part of the rogues gallery of both Silver Surfer and Shang-Chi. And you have to suspend disbelief at both ends of the spectrum.

He’s amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Midnight grew up training alongside Shang-Chi, but died when they fought in Marvel Special Edition #16. Kang snatched him from the timestream just before his death to recruit him into the original Legion of the Unliving, until he got manhandled twice by Mantis. Steve Englehart created Midnight and wrote his previous appearances, so he felt free to recycle Midnight again for his Silver Surfer run. And there my memory fails me. I think that incarnation was still the same Midnight, but now with some kind of cosmic level powerup to make him a challenge for Silver Surfer. I just can't remember how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Midnight grew up training alongside Shang-Chi, but died when they fought in Marvel Special Edition #16. Kang snatched him from the timestream just before his death to recruit him into the original Legion of the Unliving, until he got manhandled twice by Mantis. Steve Englehart created Midnight and wrote his previous appearances, so he felt free to recycle Midnight again for his Silver Surfer run. And there my memory fails me. I think that incarnation was still the same Midnight, but now with some kind of cosmic level powerup to make him a challenge for Silver Surfer. I just can't remember how it happened.
    IIRC, aliens experimented on him which left him with a power-up and only faint flashes of memory of his life on Earth.

Oh, and he was never really a threat to Surfer.

But then Surfer started stories with a non-IG-powered Nebula and Cap’n frickin’ Reptyl, and suddenly by contrast Midnight Sun felt legit.

Seriously, through the course of that run, Surfer went from fighting Elders of The Universe and The In-Betweener to Cap’n Reptyl. Talk about a reverse power-creep.
    Last edited by Beadle; 11-16-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    IIRC, aliens experimented on him which left him with a power-up and only faint flashes of memory of his life on Earth.

Oh, and he was never really a threat to Surfer.

But then Surfer started stories with a non-IG-powered Nebula and Cap’n frickin’ Reptyl, and suddenly by contrast Midnight Sun felt legit.

Seriously, through the course of that run, Surfer went from fighting Elders of The Universe and The In-Betweener to Cap’n Reptyl. Talk about a reverse power-creep.
    I gave away my Silver Surfer run except for the Starlin IG tie-ins, so I only vaguely remember Cap'n Reptyl. But that vague recollection seems to include him taking a large bite out of an Elder's skull and brain. It was the Contemplator, I think, a pseudo-Buddha who debuted in a Captain America Treasury Edition where Kirby celebrated the Bicentennial by having Cap time travel/visit various great men from American history.

Astonishing Member

Fun Fact: Chuck Norris Facts are actually just repurposed Val Amorr feats