View Poll Results: Is Steve Trevor Wonder Woman's One True Love?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 64.44%
  • No

16 35.56%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I say no simply because he's, well, a non-entity. I'm sorry but the guy sucks and has for literally decades now. I think it is high time Diana was given a new love interest one more worthy of her iconic status. Unlike Lois or Selina (who are interesting in their own right), Steve is nothing without Diana his entire relevancy is tied up with her own. He is not an independent character who can stand unassisted as part of the mythos.
    How do you think Trevor Barnes stacks up? What about Rama? What are your thoughts on Thomas Tressor aka Nemesis?

Yes, he is. Always has been. And the movie’s success pretty much assures that he always will be.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    To use a job search analogy, he's got holes in his resume, mostly notably the Post-Crisis era. But does anyone else have a better claim?

I guess the answer is it's either this guy, or no one at all.

there's this guy:
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

^^^ew, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    How do you think Trevor Barnes stacks up? What about Rama? What are your thoughts on Thomas Tressor aka Nemesis?
    Trevor Barnes could certainly work. His job lends itself to Diana's idealism and provides an avenue for agency self-realization without constant dependence.

Rama, no, just no, I don't think Diana should be involved with any gods it seems lazy to me even more so than pairing her with other JLA members.

Thomas Tressor could certainly work. His morally grey character (doing what he thinks is "right" regardless of the dubious methods employed) could play off Diana's hard and fast morals pretty well.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    But this would make him more a catalyst than a true character which is my argument. Steve hasn't been a compelling character since early WW. Unlike Lois or Selina who have their own agency beyond their superhero love interests, Steve has become nothing more than Diana's gateway to "Man's World", which is sad.
    I quite liked the Steve Trevor that was being fleshed out in Greg Rucka's last run. And I like the Steve Trevor in the Wonder Woman movies.

The problem isn't Trevor or any other character--it's a more profound problem with Wonder Woman--in that no one every really gets a chance to fully develop her or her cast. The concept is built on sand. Until they commit to a definitive version of the character, all writers will be undermined in their efforts to do anything of significance.

Rama's plotline was interesting, he's a good foil for Steve since the roles were switched with him and Diana. She taught him about humanity. It's interesting when she interacts with other cultures, it gives the fantasy aspect of Wonder Woman more options.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Yes, he is. Always has been. And the movie’s success pretty much assures that he always will be.
    Didn't the movie take place during WWI? IIRC, in the Justice League movie Steve Trevor was long dead.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Didn't the movie take place during WWI? IIRC, in the Justice League movie Steve Trevor was long dead.
    Well, yeah but Steve so far has been a notable romantic interest now two of Diana’s solo outings (and also a well-liked part in the first film at least). Superhero adaptations tend influence status quos and other related things in the comics because of their larger audiences.

I’d say Catwoman and Batman being such a popular romantic pairing owes as much to stuff like the Adam West show and Burton films as anything from the comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    The setting of the first film doesn't really matter because audiences still liked him. I imagine it's partially why he's coming back for WW84.

Even if he's absent in for a third Jenkins WW film, this pretty much assured a new version of him will show up in whatever future Wonder Woman media we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’d say Catwoman and Batman being such a popular romantic pairing owes as much to stuff like the Adam West show and Burton films as anything from the comics.
    Yeah, this is she has always had the edge over someone like Talia and why some people acting like Tom King invented the pairing baffle me. Like, where have you all been the last 80 or so years?

Incredible Member

He *could* be. But, not until he’s treated similarly to Lois Lane, Selina Kyle / Catwoman, Mera, etc.

Until then, probably not. I wouldn’t be opposed to a new “true” love interest being introduced. But, I’m not sure it is necessary. And even if they did, DC would ditch her / him / them whenever they wanted because Wonder canon is extremely flexible / disposable to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That and Johns made Steve an A.R.G.U.S. soldier and later the leader of the government-sponsored Justice League of America, leading such prominent characters as Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Catwoman, and Hawkman. Steve also took down Cheetah and her Zoo Crew pretty much on his own. Those are some decent credentials IMO.
    That's great and all but, again, none of it involved him and Diana being in a relationship. With Lois and Clark for example, we've seen their relationship develop while equally being focused on as individual characters. Johns might have done some interesting things with Steve but he didn't actually show what a relationship between the two was like to get audiences invested. I even recall some romantic tension between him and Selina in JLA.

I also think it's unreasonable to say that just because Diana doesn't have Steve she should have no one but I imagine my personal choice wouldn't be popular with some people here nor would it be something DC would be willing to fully commit too.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Yeah, this is she has always had the edge over someone like Talia and why some people acting like Tom King invented the pairing baffle me. Like, where have you all been the last 80 or so years?
    I don't think people are under the impression King invented the pairing but rather have issues with how the writing around it has panned out.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-22-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    All three are better if you ask me, especially Rama.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's great and all but, again, none of it involved him and Diana being in a relationship. With Lois and Clark for example, we've seen their relationship develop while equally being focused on as individual characters. Johns might have done some interesting things with Steve but he didn't actually show what a relationship between the two was like to get audiences invested. I even recall some romantic tension between him and Selina in JLA.

I also think it's unreasonable to say that just because Diana doesn't have Steve she should have no one but I imagine my personal choice wouldn't be popular with some people here nor would it be something DC would be willing to fully commit too.

I don't think people are under the impression King invented the pairing but rather have issues with how the writing around it has panned out.

Just because Diana and Steve weren't shown as a couple in the New 52 doesn't mean that their feelings for each other were gone. As I recall, Diana broke things off with Steve to protect him, not because she lost her attraction to him. In Rebirth, they were definitely shown as a solid couple until their break-up about a year ago.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

He is her more well known love interest, so for now yeah. Time will tell if that would change or not, sadly his comic book version is very uneven.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona