Page 248 of 440 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 6586

i always thought parler is a French word meaning "To speak".

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    i always thought parler is a French word meaning "To speak".
    “Parler” is a French word meaning “to speak”.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Because we had Christian wackos then as we do now, and they just heard it as John boasting that they were "bigger than Jesus". They are ready to take anything as an insult to their religion. So of course they went out and burned Beatle records.
    The phrase they like to use is blasphemy. Of course it doesn't apply to the case of John Lennon, but that never made a zealot think twice.

Extraordinary Member

Here’s one: the problem with an unpopular wish-fulfillment character is never going to be them being overpowered.

The actual problem is failure to make the character interesting outside of their power set, failing to come up with a convincing conflict for them, or anyone of a thousand different details and nuances.

Aang in Avatar uncovers a literal last-arc plot-solving power that no other Avatar discovers, and in his final fight, has basically three moments of having Ozai at his mercy... but because it’s executed well, it works.

Silver Age Superman has plenty of good and clever stories... but sometimes the stories botch the dramatic conflict by lazily trying to o escape their own conundrums (see: turning back time).

Wonder Woman’s movie has a bad final villain, all things considered and basically has Diana become unbeatable in this climax... but it makes her internal conflict and character growth good enough it’s not that bad and ends up good in the end. Captain Marvel likewise has a debatable strength in its villains, but also manages the personal drama well enough to overcome that problem.

Rey in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy was still pretty exciting and popular after TFA, even though she was suspiciously quick in developing skills and defeated Kylo, because the external and internal conflict was good enough there to get away with it... but when you decide the best usage for power fantasy character is to make her a Neo-Nazi School Shooter’s Abused Girlfriend, like TLJ did, that’s going to make her less interesting and much less popular.

Don’t get me wrong; if you struggle as a writer to write compelling conflicts for über-powerful characaters, you’re better off either explicitly scaling them down or acting like they are for the purposes of your story. But the character’s not overpowered if the conflict and drama gets killed - your too lazy or unimaginative instead.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fawcett's Captain Marvel was once more popular than Superman. Captain Marvel book not only sold more copies than Superman comics, but was the highest selling superhero comic book. Only Disney comics sold more than Captain Marvel

But as a character, was Captain Marvel better than Superman? Captain Marvel was too perfect. He can only be vulnerable when he's switched back to Billy Batson. Kids could relate to Billy Batson/Captain Marvel but perhaps they realized Captain Marvel never saw himself as a kid. Maybe that's why the sales dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    1. Comics should not be conflated with superheroes.

2. Fifties Atlas comics are more interesting than sixties Marvel superhero comics.

3. Marvel zombies are annoying people.

1. Cape comics for the most part suck, bigly. Not buying SJW rubbish.

2. Got some examples to share about 50's Atlas compared to Marvel 60's? Genuine question, not trying to be an ass. Interesting old comics is better that whatever the Old 2 are putting out now.

3. I noticed that they seem to get the most shittiest artists to draw those books. I think they're' having interns write that marvel zombie books.

Boisterously Confused

Fawcett's Captain Marvel was once more popular than Superman. Captain Marvel book not only sold more copies than Superman comics, but was the highest selling superhero comic book. Only Disney comics sold more than Captain Marvel

But as a character, was Captain Marvel better than Superman? Captain Marvel was too perfect. He can only be vulnerable when he's switched back to Billy Batson. Kids could relate to Billy Batson/Captain Marvel but perhaps they realized Captain Marvel never saw himself as a kid. Maybe that's why the sales dropped.
    I haven't looked at sales numbers, but I don't think that it was kids abandoning the dual persona character. All superhero comics were tanking at the time Fawcett laid the captain to rest. Probably more a case of the revenue no longer being worth parrying National Comic's relentless lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So of course they went out and burned Beatle records.
    Good lord. This is the first I have heard of this reaction. Apparently they also planned to present the dust remains of the records in a box when they arrived in Memphis.

BANNED

Believe they were also getting sued by DC because of perceived similarities to Superman. That, with the dropping sales, I think was the cause for them to just close up shop. I'd say he's at least as interesting as Superman as a character, has a much better Rogue's Gallery, and an equally strong supporting cast. But he was out of publication for a couple of decades, including the critical Silver Age, and was treated as a throwback character or joke character for most of the next couple of decades. He's never been pushed as a Main Eventer because DC probably doesn't want confusion (or competition) with their icon Superman. Then you have Marvel snatching up the name before DC bought the rights, and folks having to figure out what to call him (Shazam sounds silly as a hero name compared to Captain Marvel). Doubt he'd even have a movie if Dwayne Johnson hadn't helped produce it so they'd have the lore laid down for when he takes up the mantle of Black Adam (which I still look forward to). Actually thought the movie was pretty good, too.

My (possibly unpopular) opinion: What DC should have done (hard now with an established actor in the movie) was make Billy Batson and Captain Marvel/Shazam black. Just by doing that you can clearly visually never confuse him with Superman and you inject diversity into a pretty white lineup without having to force a C-lister like Cyborg (no offense to Cyborg fans).

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Believe they were also getting sued by DC because of perceived similarities to Superman. That, with the dropping sales, I think was the cause for them to just close up shop. I'd say he's at least as interesting as Superman as a character, has a much better Rogue's Gallery, and an equally strong supporting cast. But he was out of publication for a couple of decades, including the critical Silver Age, and was treated as a throwback character or joke character for most of the next couple of decades. He's never been pushed as a Main Eventer because DC probably doesn't want confusion (or competition) with their icon Superman. Then you have Marvel snatching up the name before DC bought the rights, and folks having to figure out what to call him (Shazam sounds silly as a hero name compared to Captain Marvel). Doubt he'd even have a movie if Dwayne Johnson hadn't helped produce it so they'd have the lore laid down for when he takes up the mantle of Black Adam (which I still look forward to). Actually thought the movie was pretty good, too.

My (possibly unpopular) opinion: What DC should have done (hard now with an established actor in the movie) was make Billy Batson and Captain Marvel/Shazam black. Just by doing that you can clearly visually never confuse him with Superman and you inject diversity into a pretty white lineup without having to force a C-lister like Cyborg (no offense to Cyborg fans).
    I think it's telling that every time the conversation about diversity in the League comes up, the solution is to replace one black guy with another. This one is especially hilarious because Cyborg has a much better standing than Shazam usually does, whether he's black or not. Shazam needs the League a lot more than they need him or even Cyborg needs the League.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I haven't looked at sales numbers, but I don't think that it was kids abandoning the dual persona character. All superhero comics were tanking at the time Fawcett laid the captain to rest. Probably more a case of the revenue no longer being worth parrying National Comic's relentless lawsuits.
    I think Fawcett's Captain Marvel comics sold at least 1.5 million copies a month.

They renamed him Captain Thunder. It didn't work out well.

They could have made Steamboat as Captain Marvel instead of making Billy Batson black. He was disused after the protests from African Americans concerned about him being stereotyped. Rather than disusing Steamboat, Fawcett could make him into a more positive character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboat_(comics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it's telling that every time the conversation about diversity in the League comes up, the solution is to replace one black guy with another. This one is especially hilarious because Cyborg has a much better standing than Shazam usually does, whether he's black or not. Shazam needs the League a lot more than they need him or even Cyborg needs the League.
    A few things. 1. I did say no offense Cyborg fans. 2. I never said replace Cyborg, just pointing out they had to reach to find a prominent (well, what passes for it in DC) non-white character. He's always been a character that bores me. Different strokes. 3. Shazam at this point is a side character who probably works best on his own, since DC will never let him have a real spotlight given the Superman situation. He doesn't need the League, nor does the League need him. But he could help.

Invincible Member

Part of the problem with Shazam/Capt Marvel is that when they did the CC Beck version in the 70's he didn't really connect with the modern audience, but in the 80's when they tried to blend him with the main universe he didn't seem to fit especially as that universe got more grim and serious. He probably really only works as a light hearted character in his own world/city. It's not impossible though to still have him team up with other heroes. Books like Deadpool and She-Hulk were complete satire comedy books, but when they were in other books they played by the rules of those other titles.

Most people actually prefer stable and happy relationships with little to no drama in fiction. Or at least less "will they, won't they" nonsense.

If a male character is respectful towards women and is being called a "cuck", "simp", "eunuch" or other terms you can find on an incel forum, chances are he's actually being written well.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-23-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Well, it's certainly unpopular with me. I hate it when developers so that.