Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Why doesn't DC just put a label on their covers, "For the love of god do not let your children read this!"
    They strait up say it everywhere else. I'm not even kidding, they've done interviews saying they don't want kids reading their books
    Cyclops was right

Why doesn't DC just put a label on their covers, "For the love of god do not let your children read this!"
    So....I dropped Outlaws after Death of the Family....what's the drug addiction thing all about?

And comics have dealt with topics like addiction for over forty years. It all boils down to execution. Is there a proper cautionary tale and lesson subtlety embedded in the comic, or is it done just for shock value? Roy Harper's addiction and recovery became a huge, enriching part of his character. Young Justice's Superboy had a similar subplot, though it had all the subtlety of a freight truck. Since I havent read Outlaws in a while, I cant speak for how Kori's was handled of course. But there's nothing wrong with the subject matter itself, just in how its presented.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So....I dropped Outlaws after Death of the Family....what's the drug addiction thing all about?

And comics have dealt with topics like addiction for over forty years. It all boils down to execution. Is there a proper cautionary tale and lesson subtlety embedded in the comic, or is it done just for shock value? Roy Harper's addiction and recovery became a huge, enriching part of his character. Young Justice's Superboy had a similar subplot, though it had all the subtlety of a freight truck. Since I havent read Outlaws in a while, I cant speak for how Kori's was handled of course. But there's nothing wrong with the subject matter itself, just in how its presented.
    I'm not against heroes doing drugs, but the problem with Starfire is a lot of fans of the character came from the tv show that is (more or less) still running.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I'm not against heroes doing drugs, but the problem with Starfire is a lot of fans of the character came from the tv show that is (more or less) still running.
    Couldn't that be said for almost all superheroes? I mean, how many people became Batman fans because of the cartoons?

I hear what you're saying though, and with Kori there's a really big divide between her cartoon version and her print version. And finding a balance between that seems to be one of the bigger concerns/issues the character has faced over the last ten years (or however long its been since that show started).

Personally, Im not thrilled by the idea of Kori succumbing to addiction; but I cant really judge since I didnt read the issues. Who did that? Was it Lobdell or was that started while he was off the book?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    They strait up say it everywhere else. I'm not even kidding, they've done interviews saying they don't want kids reading their books
    It's one way to say it in interviews, but it's another way to say it in the comics. This is why the Comic COde was made for a reason.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

They kinda do haha. They labeled it T for teen :P. But I get what you are saying.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post

Ya they could go right ahead and ignore this crap.
    I really hope this aspect of DCnU 52 Starfire gets ignored ASAP. I don't want her to be a drug addict in any way, shape, or form. Hopefully her new series will take her in a completely different direction.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I assume, for the upcoming new series, DC will attempt to portray Starfire in a sort of middle-ground way ie she won't be quite as controversial as she's been in Red Hood, but she won't be quite as overly passive as in Teen Titans Go

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Emanuela Lupacchino is drawing the series.
    This is what her Starfire looks like:

That is some good looking art. This is books is for sure going on my list I just hope that with Starfire looking like Barbie on the cover isnt how she is drawn in the interiors.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

BANNED

I am quite pleased Starfire is getting her own book, since hopefully that means the remaining NTT members without one also have a shot.

But I really do hope Lobdell's work on her is completely ignored... especially that drug addiction bit, it's stuff that gets my blood boiling and Lobdell has already managed to do that several times over the past three years. Which is why it pleases me to to no end knowing Starfire is leaving Bad Company, so Lobdell can do any more damage to her.

As for the coming book, it's Jimmy and Amanda, it's going to be great, so I am open to anything they want to try (except rehab... that would be sad). What I do hope is that they use that new-granted freedom and connect her back to Raven and maybe even Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    That is some good looking art. This is books is for sure going on my list I just hope that with Starfire looking like Barbie on the cover isnt how she is drawn in the interiors.
    I dont think thats going to be the case since the cover is Amanda Conner, who always seems to draw women as overly 'cutsie' compared to everyone else (see PG and Quinn under her pen and compare them to others).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Emanuela Lupacchino is drawing the series.
    This is what her Starfire looks like:

That design is really good. However I much prefer the costume that she has in the Connor promo image. This one is just, bleh. Also, I like her eyes in the promo image as well. I'm a sucker for SF's green eyes in the show, and that seems to be what Connor was inspired by.

Ultimate Member

Well you CAN do drug addiction storylines in comics well. For example, the classic Roy Harper heroin storyline was quite good. And Saga is doing an addiction subplot right now with one of their main characters, and it's good to. The one in RHATO, on the other hand, isn't really working all that well. There's no nuance of subtlety to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Male Starfire:
    I'll bet HE'S from Earth-11.

Can someone tell me which comic/issue this is from:

One thing I liked about Lobdell's storyline was the subplot between his RHatO and his Superman titles involving Helspont. I wonder of the Superman series will revisit this or if it will be ignored.

I also liked seeing Starfire and Superman team up. I think the two of them have good chemistry. I always liked that Kryptonians and Tamaraneans both can absorb the energies of the stars. I would like to see more stories of these two working together. Especially now that Superman stole Starfire's solar energy blast as his "new" power lol.

Last edited by nj06; 11-08-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Emanuela Lupacchino really seems to like mixing her unique designs with those of the animated versions of characters I love the cover!
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡