Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

"To me, my X-People" just doesn't roll off the tongue

X-men is iconic, and it refers to man as in mankind, not male. I see no need to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What about the word origin of "actor" indicates one gender or another?
    There are female actors, there are male actors, they perform the same functions of portraying characters? There aren't male actresses.
    All early actors were men tho.
    Oxford dictionary weighs in on the subject.But they can't perform the same function for any character...Male actors can't convincingly portray a female role.
    Liiiike matter how good you thought Heath ledger vwas an actor his portayal of Maya Angelou wouldn't be very strong
    So why create separate words? Firefighter vs FireMan, Police Officer vs PoliceMAN, that kind of thing...
    pageantry?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's a popular brand name, it will never change. Sorry bout it.
    20th Century Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't push these things to the point of absurdity or cartoonishness, so believe me when I tell you that the word "actress" is really dumb. It's akin to calling a female medical pro "doctress".
    so does son or daughter prince or princess brother and sister Aunt and Uncle
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Those are to note the sex of the person for whenever that sex happens to matter. "I have a daughter" vs "I have a child that is female".

No need for sexes to be encoded in professions and actress is particularly silly.

I must think weird. I never thought of x-men in terms of gender I thought it was a take on human. But instead of hu-man they went with x-men and the men was because it pluralized it rather than it being x-man.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I vote for X-Nation if there’s a name change. In fact, I kind of like it better. Especially in the current era with Dawn and now Reign of X. Makes sense. I mean, everything else could stay the same (X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, etc.), but X-men could become X-Nation and that would be kind of cool IMO.

Spectacular Member

IMO, the alias of the X-Men: "Children of the Atom" is a great candidate to replace the standard name. I would prefer Marvel rebrand it with X+something like we have with X-Force/X-Factor/X-Calibur because the X is their symbol. It's what I thought when Hickman gave a event with X in this new era. X-Men is too generic like New Mutants and also from another period the 60's.

Children of the Atom is cool, but at the same time not really accurate since they’re technically Children of the Genome, right?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"X-Men is too generic"

Compared to what?
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't push these things to the point of absurdity or cartoonishness, so believe me when I tell you that the word "actress" is really dumb. It's akin to calling a female medical pro "doctress".
    Lmfao! This made me spit out my water.

Agreed lol.

It’s an iconic name and not offensive in any way. They’ve had a women in their ranks since day 1 and she is arguably the most powerful character for the majority of the teams existence. It’s read as genderless and trying to assign it gender is counterproductive to the argument at hand. This thread pops up about once or twice a year and I always see this same circle of conversation.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It’s an iconic name and not offensive in any way. They’ve had a women in their ranks since day 1 and she is arguably the most powerful character for the majority of the teams existence. It’s read as genderless and trying to assign it gender is counterproductive to the argument at hand. This thread pops up about once or twice a year and I always see this same circle of conversation.
    The new graphic branding lends it self to a change with the books being visually recognizable by just the X. We never saw this treatment before, so given that and the gender concepts moment in time, it revives speculation that there is an inching towards some form of change.

Thats part of my curiosity about the status of the Dark Horse "X" copyright/trademark...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 11-26-2020 at 01:08 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That branding was used in House of X/Powers of X due to the symbolism of the number 10 in Hickman's story which is represented by the Roman numeral 'X'
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Or.......the X is the flag of Krakoa and Hickman branding.

It will go away, when Hickman is done.

The new graphic branding lends it self to a change with the books being visually recognizable by just the X.
    i don t think so

The new graphic branding lends it self to a change with the books being visually recognizable by just the X. We never saw this treatment before, so given that and the gender concepts moment in time, it revives speculation that there is an inching towards some form of change.

Thats part of my curiosity about the status of the Dark Horse "X" copyright/trademark...
    That X is only recognizable to people that read the comics. X-Men has transcended its original media and is know fairly commonly thanks to TV and Movie. The new design is brilliant and I believe has actually won awards but I think it’s unlikely that it is significant in a transition away from the much more popular X-Men branding. Just this last Wednesday there was a frank discussion between Cyke and the QC about the X-Men being the heroes of Krakoa in the actual book. As far as the copyright for just an X I’m guessing there isn’t an issue since we’ve seen over a year of that logo.

So yes it’s recognizable to us as regular readers since we were reading before the new trade debuted but if you show that logo without any context (read images of Wolverine, Cyclops etc) the vast majority of people aren’t going to know what it’s representative of. Even if you include the visual aspect of characters the average person will see it and say “oh it’s the X-Men.”
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.