Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I liked the trailer thought it looked interesting. Who is this aimed at though? Like it doesn’t seem like it’s made for kids but not quite adult either. Maybe it will be one those kids movies with adult jokes sprinkled in. Im I’m though. I’ll give this a shot

Looks cute, I like the gags about creepy "realistic" cgi and Dale getting some work done. I miss the original voices, but maybe the high pitch squeaky sounds were too much for a feature length film? It's on Disney + (which I already have) so it's not like I am out $20 or more if it sucks.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

No idea what I've just watched with that trailer, but I will give it a shot. Kinda wish it was just a straightforward retelling of the series rather than some kind of meta spoof a la Ralph Breaks the Internet.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Invincible Member

I wonder if what's throwing some people is the fact that it's a revival of a Disney property rather than Looney Tunes/Warner Bros IP. In most of those Disney shows you're supposed by into the world of the characters, however Looney Tunes have always exploited the fact that the characters know that they're cartoon characters on a TV show.

If this was the new Tiny Toons movie, I don't think anyone would be phased.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-15-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I liked the trailer thought it looked interesting. Who is this aimed at though? Like it doesn’t seem like it’s made for kids but not quite adult either. Maybe it will be one those kids movies with adult jokes sprinkled in. Im I’m though. I’ll give this a shot
    I think it'll be a family/kid's movie, but they're definitely using adult nostalgia to sell it. What 10 year old cares about MC Scat Kat?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The fact it is not a proper revival makes me happier. I am kind of sick of revivals and reboots. I love that they went another way with this.
    Me and you fella. Going on Roger Rabbit route(and this seem to be set in same world) seem a good idea. A revival could work only for an animated series not for a movie, at least when it comes to Rescue Rangers.(and about DT cameo being a template....do people realise that strictly technically the RR where the only sapient rodents around? It would make hard make it work...either somehow they go full NIHM or they would have very limited stories to tell. )

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it'll be a family/kid's movie, but they're definitely using adult nostalgia to sell it. What 10 year old cares about MC Scat Kat?
    I think is kind on the lines of Roger Rabbit, after all who at the time cared about Betty Boop?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Looks cute, I like the gags about creepy "realistic" cgi and Dale getting some work done. I miss the original voices, but maybe the high pitch squeaky sounds were too much for a feature length film? It's on Disney + (which I already have) so it's not like I am out $20 or more if it sucks.
    Yeah I thought the same, that high pitched tone is ice for shorts but full length.. you end up like Alvin and the chipmunks....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I feel like they saw Matrix Resurrections and thought they could do the same thing with 90’s Disney cartoons?

Also nice burn on all Robert Zemeckis CGI films there? XD
    Is more an attempt to modern versions of who framed Roger Rabbit. They quite literally said it I the teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wonder if what's throwing some people is the fact that it's a revival of a Disney property rather than Looney Tunes/Warner Bros IP. In most of those Disney shows you're supposed by into the world of the characters, however Looney Tunes have always exploited the fact that the characters know that they're cartoon characters on a TV show.

If this was the new Tiny Toons movie, I don't think anyone would be phased.
    I can get behind this. in looney Tunes they broke the 4th wall all the time. it got to where is was a normal thing.

I cant think really of any Disney show that has done that.

Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Duck Tales, Even the Rescue Rangers were all in their world. They were characters in that world and they all had a place in it. But they never said they knew they were characters in a show or movie. And the few times that Mickey or Donald made reference to being actors it was for a show in their world not in our world.

I think that old Disney Digest Comic where they all go to Disney World may have been the closest they got to something like that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Hmm, well the only reason the show-within-the-movie approach is working for me thus far is the implication that this takes place in the same world as Roger Rabbit. I wonder if the film will have any references that make it more than an implication though, like actually mentioning Toon Town or Valiant & Valiant.

The idea that toons can get "CGI surgery" is a neat idea for explaining the mixture of animation styles in a modern Roger Rabbit verse, although I would be more impressed if the toons who haven't had the surgery looked traditional instead of the still-cgi but shaded look like the recent Tom and Jerry movie.

Not much Gadget in the trailer, but Tress is apparently in the cast. I wonder if her screentime is small enough that they just went with the original VA instead of forcing a celebrity into the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Hmm, well the only reason the show-within-the-movie approach is working for me thus far is the implication that this takes place in the same world as Roger Rabbit. I wonder if the film will have any references that make it more than an implication though, like actually mentioning Toon Town or Valiant & Valiant.

The idea that toons can get "CGI surgery" is a neat idea for explaining the mixture of animation styles in a modern Roger Rabbit verse, although I would be more impressed if the toons who haven't had the surgery looked traditional instead of the still-cgi but shaded look like the recent Tom and Jerry movie.

Not much Gadget in the trailer, but Tress is apparently in the cast. I wonder if her screentime is small enough that they just went with the original VA instead of forcing a celebrity into the role.
    The plot synopsis said that chip and Dale will have to find a missing friend, and considering the only one we did not saw after the time skip is Gadget we can assume she was the one missing.

I can get behind this. in looney Tunes they broke the 4th wall all the time. it got to where is was a normal thing.

Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Duck Tales, Even the Rescue Rangers were all in their world. They were characters in that world and they all had a place in it. But they never said they knew they were characters in a show or movie. And the few times that Mickey or Donald made reference to being actors it was for a show in their world not in our world.

I think that old Disney Digest Comic where they all go to Disney World may have been the closest they got to something like that.
    Disney has done it in the past. The Black and white "A Day in the Life of Donald Duck" shows him going to work at the studio, opening fan mail and arguing with his voice actor, Clarence Nash. "The Autograph Hound" was a short where he is continually kicked out of a film studio, until he is recognized by Shirley Temple and several other classic celebrities as the famous star Donald Duck.

Darkwing Duck had an episode where DW was being replaced on his own TV show with Bushroot. ("A Star is Scorned.") Darkwing has to sneak onto the studio lot dressed as Donald.

The Lion King 1/2 has Timon and Pumbaa watching the original Lion King in a theater, and then fast forwarding to their appearance in the film.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Disney has done it in the past. The Black and white "A Day in the Life of Donald Duck" shows him going to work at the studio, opening fan mail and arguing with his voice actor, Clarence Nash. "The Autograph Hound" was a short where he is continually kicked out of a film studio, until he is recognized by Shirley Temple and several other classic celebrities as the famous star Donald Duck.

Darkwing Duck had an episode where DW was being replaced on his own TV show with Bushroot. ("A Star is Scorned.") Darkwing has to sneak onto the studio lot dressed as Donald.

The Lion King 1/2 has Timon and Pumbaa watching the original Lion King in a theater, and then fast forwarding to their appearance in the film.
    This is good to know. Thank you
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Oh, yeah...Those 90's Disney shows Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers etc were on pretty much at same time that Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Freakazoid ( folks forget about that one) and the Warners cartoons were self aware spoofs. The theme songs of Tiny Toons reference they've been at it since 1933 and the new kids are cracking up the TV censors. Animainics have "pay for play" contracts. And they not only goof on pop culture but literally make fun of the people who work on the show. Both Animaniacs and TT Adventures have made jokes about how Steven Spielberg has his name on the show but has nothing to do with producing it. I'm not aware of Jeff Katzenberg jokes on Duck Tails at the same time...