Page 22 of 473 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Many of you probably have seen them before, but this is the first time I came across these unused Phoenix designs that Cockrum did for the OG Phoenix costume of Jean so I wanted to share my excitement she looks like Tigra in that purple one haha

Attachment 117141

Attachment 117142
    Yeah, I saw these many years ago. "Hated them", lol! And that hair....!

They used some of the looks for Oracle of the Shi'Ar.

The reason Jean "looked like Tigra" is that claremont was trying to make Jean have an "other-worldly" appearance when she turned into Phoenix.

This "other-worldly" look was dark skin, white eyes, super-long full hair and an energy glow around her. This "other-worldly look" was most notable in: Jean's Transformation issue, when she fought Firelord (red-faced vs tanned face), and in the 2 Shi'Ar issues.

Then, the look changed, as did Jean's powers as Phoenix. In these issues, Jean as Phoenix, had additional powers such as Flight, Space Flight, super-strength and durability and energy blasts---all which had nothing to do with her TP and TK powers, which were also boosted.

To me, after these issues, a change was decided and Jean not only looked differently, her powers were then all TP/TK related with these other powers all but forgotten and she was being led down the dark path towards destruction as Dark Phoenix.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-08-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Chile, no!
    Come on, imagine de-aged Famke wearing a golden version of this mask with flaming hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    You little rascal… How dare you?!
    Hey now, anyone wearing that mask for over two real life years non ironically can't possibly have good taste .

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    This is called a Wimple. =)
    Ah, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    No neck to be seen.

Though it does work a tiny bit better with colors then in a nun white outfit.

Shit man, we sure Wanda and Lorna ain't related? Lol.

Many of you probably have seen them before, but this is the first time I came across these unused Phoenix designs that Cockrum did for the OG Phoenix costume of Jean so I wanted to share my excitement she looks like Tigra in that purple one haha

Attachment 117141
    The cape from the fourth one reminds me of Captain Marvel's cape (The original, not Marvel's).

The last one looks kinda like a martial arts-like costume, maybe it's where Marvel got the random idea of making the Phoenix be related with K'un-Lun lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

The Scarlet Witch defeated Chthon and absorbed both him and the Darkhold.

Jean should use her link psionic powers to destroy that abomination Phoenix force Aaron writes, and absorb its power and reclaim
    the name Phoenix. I mean if Storm and the Scarlet Witch can become goddesses so can Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

Jean should use her link psionic powers to destroy that abomination Phoenix force Aaron writes, and absorb its power and reclaim
    the name Phoenix. I mean if Storm and the Scarlet Witch can become goddesses so can Jean.
    I know.

Jean could have chosen to keep the Phoenix Force, and keep it in reserve for when she needs it. It would not have "held her back" in any way. The Phoenix Resurrection story was horribly written as if we have no knowledge of Jean, the Phoenix Force or anythng that has happened in the past. The only good thing to come out of it was Jean.

Jean has always been a goddess to me! But I know what you mean and with Jean accessing her full potential, she is indeed a goddess.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

It makes me think of an early Morrison interview during New X-men where Morrison said something like "What if Jean really was a goddess". I think it was then most of us knew she was going to go Phoenix in Morrison's run. But alas that didn't stick and it may have alluded to Morrison's plan to send her off as White Phoenix into the afterlife at the end of their run but who knows.

Phoenix Resurrection would have been so much better as a destiny fulfilled story where Jean got to do something big - perhaps on Here Comes Tomorrow level - something that couldn't be easily taken away from the character (in my view our Jean went through the Here Comes Tomorrow stuff but many fans see it strictly alternate reality despite the nod in Endsong). Then Jean could have parted ways with the Phoenix force because she did the phoenix work she needed to complete (or was meant to do or whatever).

I never expected Jean to remain at cosmic Phoenix levels, but I wish she could have parted ways with the Phoenix in a nicer way that she could retain the codename and costume.

But... even without the Phoenix I'd settle for a Jean that is on Storm, Magneto, or Vulcan's level. Let's show her as the omega powerhouse she is just like we get from the other omega mutants. More importantly though let's give her some struggles to overcome. Let see her character be challenged so that she grows.

I love that she is an X-men leader and I love what Duggan is doing with her. I expect good things going forward. I definitely want to see Jean step up as a leader and I want to see more conflict between the X-men and the Quiet Council (which I expect we will get more of soon). I'd love to see more interaction with Xavier because we don't see them being close like we used to, and I want to see more team ups with Quire. I'd even like to see some conflict between Jean and Scott (not drama per se but perhaps disagreements on leadership).

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I know.

Jean could have chosen to keep the Phoenix Force, and keep it in reserve for when she needs it. It would not have "held her back" in any way. The Phoenix Resurrection story was horribly written as if we have no knowledge of Jean, the Phoenix Force or anythng that has happened in the past. The only good thing to come out of it was Jean.

Jean has always been a goddess to me! But I know what you mean and with Jean accessing her full potential, she is indeed a goddess.
    Rosenberg confused me. His Jean was saying that she doesn’t know what the Phoenix is and what it does, and... girl you were the Phoenix of the Crown? how can you not know? lol as you said it was written as if we didn’t know anything about Jean past with the Phoenix. And her seeing it as an abusive and toxic force is contradictory. Before her death, Jean wasn’t in denial nor ashamed of being Phoenix. Back in the Seagle and Kelly story she was done with being haunted by this part of herself and she decided to reclaim the identity. She literally said to Hank that she know this time she will do fine, in Morrison. But I guess that the bad stories made about Phoenix when Jean was dead (like AvX) produced a Mandela Effect, and maybe that’s why Rosenberg had that idea that Phoenix was nothing but toxicity for Jean?

Rosenberg confused me. His Jean was saying that she doesn’t know what the Phoenix is and what it does, and... girl you were the Phoenix of the Crown? how can you not know? lol as you said it was written as if we didn’t know anything about Jean past with the Phoenix. And her seeing it as an abusive and toxic force is contradictory. Before her death, Jean wasn’t in denial nor ashamed of being Phoenix. Back in the Seagle and Kelly story she was done with being haunted by this part of herself and she decided to reclaim the identity. She literally said to Hank that she know this time she will do fine, in Morrison. But I guess that the bad stories made about Phoenix when Jean was dead (like AvX) produced a Mandela Effect, and maybe that’s why Rosenberg had that idea that Phoenix was nothing but toxicity for Jean?
    You are correct. In the past, Jean was not sorry that the Phoenix saved her and the X-Men nor was she ashamed. Of course, Jean would have preferred the Aspargas People ( ) did not die, but that was the DP spun out of control. Jean says to Beast that this time is different because it was "me, not just a part of me" meaning a whole, complete Jean not a mental fragment of Jean as before. Plus, Jean knows what happened in the past and learned from it. In addition, Jean was much more powerful in the Morrison run as she was coming into her Omega Level Powers at that point.

I do not know why rosenberg and other writers and fans dislike the Phoenix and only see it as "toxic" instead of seeing it as a "great idea with bad writing surrounding it" these days!

Rosenberg having Jean say she didn't know what the destiny of the Phoenix was (or however she said it) still ticks me off. I agree with you. She was the White Phoenix of the Crown. Maybe Rosenberg got that because in HCT Jean was a little confused on what to do and she kind of had a verbal push from Quire. I just don't think Rosenberg understood the Phoenix at all because he just didn't prefer Jean with it. He saw that it overshadowed her but it was always the other way around. He just didn't like her as the Phoenix because she existed as a character before it.

While most of us probably saw Jean and the Phoenix having this beautiful mutual bond he saw it as something negative, manipulative, and abusive. Yikes, because that puts the New X-men Jean era in a different context. For all we know Rosenberg may have viewed The White Hot Room and what Jean did in Here Comes Tomorrow as some elaborate illusion created by the Phoenix to trick Jean. The Phoenix went from burning through lies to being a master of lies. Ah, well. Every writer puts a new spin on the Phoenix and that is why it is so convoluted and you really can't make sense of it anymore.

BANNED

Rosenberg sees Jean primarily in her shipping role, which is why it was important for him to strip away her Phoenix stories. It is why she pretty much didn't appear in her return story. She is a way to express his fandom for a different character that he actually likes.

He didn't want her leading and he didn't want her happy to be alive once she was back because some other character wasn't around at the time. I don't like his writing, his tastes are abhorrent, and I hope he is never near the X-Men again.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Rosenberg sees Jean primarily in her shipping role, which is why it was important for him to strip away her Phoenix stories. It is why she pretty much didn't appear in her return story. She is a way to express his fandom for a different character that he actually likes.

He didn't want her leading and he didn't want her happy to be alive once she was back because some other character wasn't around at the time. I don't like his writing, his tastes are abhorrent, and I hope he is never near the X-Men again.
    I’m with you 200 percent on that.

His writing was so awful they could have just waited for the Krakoa era to bring back adult Jean. Ugh.

I am optimistic that WandaVision, Captain Marvel, etc force a portrayal of a strong Jean/Phoenix in X-Men 97 and forward.

Sophie Turner’s Jean Grey will reportedly be an advisor to Professor Xavier in the illuminati in #DoctorStrangeInTheMultiverseOfMadness. She will also comes from the 90s X-Men Universe. Her fight with Wanda is the reason Professor Xavier intervenes.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/XMenAcces...47846983708676
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

If this rumor is true, I hope this fight doesn't have a winner... Because the hate between the two fandos will be greater

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    If this rumor is true, I hope this fight doesn't have a winner... Because the hate between the two fandos will be greater
    Let them hate. They’re still going to watch the movies, tv shows, and read the comics.