Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The reboot that they won't call a reboot.
    Bingo. Marvel has gone out of their for the last 30 years to make fun of reboots (even though they do retcons all the time) that they can not use the word reboot now without looking like idiots.

I think I may just drop everything except Moon Knight(which I'll continue until it's canceled or until secret wars catches up with it and starts to tie in), but other then that I guess I'll maybe just try the main series and possibly amazing spider-man: renew your vows. I've really been enjoying a lot of of the new stuff marvel has been doing like Spider-Gwen, Spider-woman(which i'm just gonna consider a new title this year since those first 4 spiderverse issues were terrible), Ant Man, and Howard the Duck....but the enjoyment comes with dread that every new solicit day i'm gonna see either CANCELLED or LAST DAYS OF ____. It feels like none of the stories going on outside of I guess the avengers books, since they are the ones driving this big event, have time to breath and really explore there characters.

I guess i'll just keep on catching up with classic iron man while i wait to get some new good iron man again(preeeettty sick of superior iron man at this point, and SW armor wars doesn't interest me at all) and for that new doctor strange book to finally happen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Except we can't read much about b through d list anymore...
    Every Guardian of the Galaxy but Drax has their own solo title. And there are two team books.

GUARDIANS

OF

THE

GALAXY

That's like, bottom of the barrel, guys. Or does a movie make them "a-list"? Can anyone define what that even means? Will people overlook all the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones stuff we'll see in a couple years? "Oh, they're a-list!" Well, they weren't yesterday. So now they're bad! Just that quickly!
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    If you were looking for substantial character growth through out any period of marvel's history I gotta question what you're doing here. Most characters in the universe maintain particular status quo for decades. Marvel's one of the least optimal choices for character development sagas in comics.

Events and character defining or reinforcing moments? Sure?

Character development? Man, you chose wrong publisher.
    Funny you mention that because I do question what I'm doing here I must be a masochist.
    Here's the thing: I can accept non-existent character growth for media targeted at children. I don't expect the Smurfs or Mickey Mouse to ever change because ultimately their personalities and motivations are very simple. Marvel is targeted at teens and young adults, and so characterization have to become more complex for the audience. More complex characters should lead to less static characters. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you want to tell good stories, character growth is inevitable. If a character remains the same through their existence, what's the point of following their adventures?
    I can accept that characters go through cycles, but I've been feeling like those cycles haven't been executed well...at least for my favorite character it hasn't.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Nope because they are being drowned out mostly by the A crowd of the Hand Me Downs of the A crowd.
    Every time a publisher tries to push a B or lower list, it winds up failing. Look at Storm, Iron Patriot, Vibe, Katana, Blue Beetle, She-Hulk, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Loki, etc. They all had a lot of potential but most wound up not finding a big enough audience to justify a monthly title. The buying audience rewards A-list characters, people who keep A-list mantles warm and teams composed of mostly A-list characters and/or people who keep A-list mantles warm.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Every time a publisher tries to push a B or lower list, it winds up failing.
    GUARDIANS

OF

THE

GALAXY

Regularly Marvel's third-highest selling ongoing title.

Astonishing Member

Remember that Alonzo is part of the DC Comics fabric. So for him it makes perfect sense to outdo whatever DC Comics is doing. I think that Marvel needs to Hire someone for the position of EiC who has not worked over at DC Comics as everything are now similar to both companies. It's sort of like when Marvel hired Joe Quesada from Events Comics. For awhile, Marvel was quite different from DC Comics. But once Quesada left the chair to Alonzo, he wanted to go head to head with DC Comics by making Marvel into his own personal DC Comics brand.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-23-2015 at 11:19 AM.

If you were looking for substantial character growth through out any period of marvel's history I gotta question what you're doing here. Most characters in the universe maintain particular status quo for decades. Marvel's one of the least optimal choices for character development sagas in comics.

Events and character defining or reinforcing moments? Sure?

Character development? Man, you chose wrong publisher.
    There used to be character development but they decided to completely abandon it in the late eighties and focus solely on "the illusion of change." I'm currently not reading Marvel titles so I've chosen not to support what they're publishing. Hate-reading or hate-buying is a self-defeating concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    GUARDIANS

OF

THE

GALAXY

Throw enough scat at the wall and something is bound to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopliss View Post
    It's not like Johnny Blaze was replaced, he still exists and still has the same powers.
    Depends what you mean by replaced. He'll always be Johnny Blaze, but if you're giving the main title and focus to someone else, in this case Alejandra (which flopped) and then Robbie (which also flopped) then yes, you're replacing him as the flagship Ghost Rider, at least for the time being and forseeable future.

That's like, bottom of the barrel, guys. Or does a movie make them "a-list"? Can anyone define what that even means? Will people overlook all the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones stuff we'll see in a couple years? "Oh, they're a-list!" Well, they weren't yesterday. So now they're bad! Just that quickly!
    A successful movie generally makes the characters a household name, especially paired with Marvel Entertainment's reputation. So yes. Doesn't hurt that they got an A-list creative team on the book either, and a massive push in marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Every time a publisher tries to push a B or lower list, it winds up failing. Look at Storm, Iron Patriot, Vibe, Katana, Blue Beetle, She-Hulk, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Loki, etc. They all had a lot of potential but most wound up not finding a big enough audience to justify a monthly title. The buying audience rewards A-list characters, people who keep A-list mantles warm and teams composed of mostly A-list characters and/or people who keep A-list mantles warm.
    To be fair, none of those books have ever gotten the marketing push GotG or Spider-Gwen have gotten for example. And Scarlet Spider and Venom were both relatively successful.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 04-23-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    There used to be character development but they decided to completely abandon it in the late eighties and focus solely on "the illusion of change." I'm currently not reading Marvel titles so I've chosen not to support what they're publishing. Hate-reading or hate-buying is a self-defeating concept.
    eh...

I really wouldn't call the kirby, ditko era the marker of staunch or superlative growth in characters. I feel it's always been largely restrictive to minis and short runs which can focus on more character centric aspects of the marvel heroes than any headlining on going

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Depends what you mean by replaced. He'll always be Johnny Blaze, but if you're giving the main title and focus to someone else, in this case Alejandra (which flopped) and then Robbie (which also flopped) then yes, you're replacing him as the flagship Ghost Rider, at least for the time being and forseeable future.
    Does denny not count for some reason?

Seriously? Does he exist in some weird noncount zone.

Every Guardian of the Galaxy but Drax has their own solo title. And there are two team books.

GUARDIANS

OF

THE

GALAXY

They aren't bottom of the barrel. They are A list cause of movie and even then, they got rid of Mantis, Jack Flag and many others. I mean, the movie five were far from solo book material and it looks like Star lord's book was an excuse to write I love Kitty.

GUARDIANS

OF

THE

GALAXY

Paul Blart got a sequel. Just saying

Does denny not count for some reason?

Seriously? Does he exist in some weird noncount zone.
    Count for what? As a replacement? Sure, but his title in the 90s eventually had them team up, as did Aaron's Ghost Rider. I'd preferably like to see them in a team-up title. I love them both.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    They aren't bottom of the barrel. They are A list cause of movie ...
    They were Z-list before the movie. Now they suck because they're popular? What happens when every character is in a movie or TV show? Will every character be "A list"? And then what? Will we complain that no one writes about Jack of Hearts?