Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

@aja- God his lines are beautiful!!

I have always heard complaints from artist regarding time constraints. I know Bachalo and Mad used to really have trouble with getting issues out on time and from what I remember I think that is why they tried to go off on their own with Cliffhanger. Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo and Joe Kelley all started Cliffhanger and their own books but to my personal dismay Mad got caught up in art for video games and released like maybe 6 of his comics and then the rest slowly followed suit. So I want to say the problem why we don't see a lot of great artist stick around is because of time constraints and not enough creative freedom is my guess. Though you do see Bachalo do every four issues of Uncanny then another artist takes over. That is too give him enough time to regroup and do the next four. I believe he used to do that on Gen X later into his run. I think his work has suffered in that he uses more simple quick lines then he used to.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 08-02-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    @aja- God his lines are beautiful!!

I have always heard complaints from artist regarding time constraints. I know Bachalo and Mad used to really have trouble with getting issues out on time and from what I remember I think that is why they tried to go off on their own with Cliffhanger. Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo and Joe Kelley all started Cliffhanger and their own books but to my personal dismay Mad got caught up in art for video games and released like maybe 6 of his comics and then the rest slowly followed suit. So I want to say the problem why we don't see a lot of great artist stick around is because of time constraints and not enough creative freedom is my guess. Though you do see Bachalo do every four issues of Uncanny then another artist takes over. That is too give him enough time to regroup and do the next four. I believe he used to do that on Gen X later into his run. I think his work has suffered in that he uses more simple quick lines then he used to.
    I know the feeling regarding time constraints. Rick Leonardi inspired me to draw with his design and dynamic poses while Arthur Adams made me focus more on detail. Seinkiewicz (and old school Vertigo Bachalo) inspired me to be a little more experimental in my work (which resulted in me creating my Kerouac Black line) but it was Charest who really showed me what you can do if you completely devote yourself to creating a "perfect" comic book.

The problem with this, of course, is that there is no way you can maintain that kind of quality on a monthly basis -- well, not to my knowledge at least. I found Middleton's more "minimalistic" approach to my liking and I'm still trying to get to the point where I can create that "watercolor" effect that he utilizes in most of his illustrations. A bigger issue for me personally is that I'm so busy composing music and writing books on the side that I just don't have the time to draw as much as I'd like to. The other option is just to stick to "black and white" illustration, which is faster, but a little less personally fulfilling overall.

I think a "graphic novel" approach is what works best for some of these artists (and myself) -- a run of four or five issues just like you said and then a "break" to recharge and refresh your creativity. But artists like Kirby, Davis and Byrne seemed to be pretty consistent in creating great works on a monthly basis so I have to wonder whether what the difference is between now and then -- work ethic or just more attention to detail than ever before?
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post
    He's like something in between Phil Jimenez and William Tucci, don't you think?
    YES! I love him all the more for it too! Great comparison.

@aja- I can't say I personally say that I have drawn a comic. So I can't profess to know. I can guess that some artist don't want to edit the quality of their work to something less than. Like I said with Bachalo his artwork got less and less quality and more sketchy. I could draw one of his faces in a very short amount of time. Though he will take the time on splash pages and when he feels there need to be a lot of detail. Though you can clearly see the same love doesn't go into every panel, it does very.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 08-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ryp kinda reminds me of Scott Kolins, who kicked serious ass the one time they let him draw Wolverine. Always wished he got more X-work.

BANNED

foddy reminded me that Charlie Huston writes fantastic Emma and is one of possible candidates for her ongoing with JJR.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    foddy reminded me that Charlie Huston writes fantastic Emma and is one of possible candidates for her ongoing with JJR.
    I love Huston's Emma and I love when Ryp draws her.
    RypX-Men.jpg
    NO3some.jpg

BANNED

I hope that's the gun she shot Adrienne with, Xavier (Cassie) shot Charlie (in Cassie's body), and Scott shot all the projections in Torn arc.
    I love how she brought the gun to the X-Men when she joined and all X-honchos used it in cases of emergency.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    I hope that's the gun she shot Adrienne with, Xavier (Cassie) shot Charlie (in Cassie's body), and Scott shot all the projections in Torn arc.
    I love how she brought the gun to the X-Men when she joined and all X-honchos used it in cases of emergency.
    I like to think so. In my head canon it is. I dubbed it the "X-Gun" several years ago, but it never caught on. I tried to make that same correlation you made in regards to that gun.

There is "The Brick" and the "X-Gun."

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Chris Bachalo is good in some things not perfect but I like it.
    Adam Kubert
    Andy Kubert
    Leinil Francis Yu
    CLAY Mann
    Salvador Larrocca
    X-Men Forever

Anka
    Immonen
    Asray
    Madureira
    Bachalo
    Coipel

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Marc Silvestri!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenetik View Post
    MARC SILVESTRI (his 80s work is the best I ever saw. His take on the X-Men are my ultimate X-Men!)
    Agreed http://blog.gocollect.com/artist-spo...arc-silvestri/
    WATCH: Marc Silvestri Draw Wolverine

BANNED

Mine are probably

John Byrne
    Jim Lee
    Kubert
    Opena
    Jimenez
    Paul Smith
    Windsor Smith
    Marc Silvestri
    Clayton Crain
    Mark Brooks
    Coipel
    Alex Ross
    Bachalo
    Mc Niven
    Francis Yu
    Phil Noto
    Finch
    Dillion
    Buscema
    Cockrum
    Sorrentino

Given how much Bachalo has done in X-Men, I included him. Otherwise, I am not too fond of his cartoony style but his indie comics are truly aesthetic.
    Finch and Silvestri are great but their art gets wonky. But I guess Silvestri's style degraded mostly because of his colorist during New X-Men or Messiah War.
    Smith's style has grown on me, the more I read his run. Buscema's art is truly unique.
    Jimenez is also cool.
    Might as well include Capullo, Choi and Winn from their X-Force and Wolverine runs respectively but I haven't given much thought about it.
    Billy Tan and Ribic are also good
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-29-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Neal Adams:

Silva, Dauterman & Larraz are my current MUST BUY TRIFECTA.

But additional powerhouses, just off the top of my head, include but are not limited to: Immonen, Adams, Cassaday, To, Cockrum, Smith, Davis, Opena, Coipel, the list goes on and on and I'm likely to feel deep crippling regret over any names I remember later and neglected to include.