Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Default Should Captain Britain be considered a mutant?

You might recall how Brian Braddock was originally granted his powers by Merlyn's magic, first through the Amulet of Right, then through his costume, then eventually getting innate super-strength, flight, etc. It's also been established that his powers are linked to his confidence level. So nothing to suggest he's a mutant really.

But then again, Brian was later established being half-Otherworldian - in much the same way that Namor is half-Atlantean and considered a mutant. Plus there's also the fact that both his twin sister and his brother are mutants, which in itself wouldn't necessarily mean he also is, mind you.

So is Brian a mutant or not? Has he ever officially been established as a mutant in the comics? And if so, what would his mutant power be?

78072319-76F4-4C70-B6EB-7EC6D96E3A34.jpg

Does he have an x-gene? Isn’t that kinda the determining factor?
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

No. Namor is not mutant because he is half-Atlantean, it is because his human half is mutant and has X-Gene. That's why he has wings on his feet and he can fly.

Brian doesn't have X-Gene

Brian and Betsy share a psychic rapport, but that's more from her powers

brian should be considered daddy
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wonder if he has a dormant X-Gene. It's fairly rare in the X-Verse for one sibling to have powers and the others to not. Every Summers brother, all four Frost siblings, all of the Guthries.

Yeah, Betsy didn't have her powers when Captain Britain debuted. She was just his twin sister. So maybe Brian getting powers from elsewhere suppressed it, and it would trigger were he to get depowered somehow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Betsy is a mutant, Jamie is a mutant, I think maybe Brian's innate powers were shaped and molded to make him Captain Britain, but at the very least his siblings are Omega Class Mutants.

When Mojo maturedKarma's siblings into Template they in turn regressed CB into childhood but he still retained his powers soooo??

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Brian is an empowered human like Nova. C'mon.
    "Cable was right!"

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I don't believe that Brian was ever considered to be a mutant. Just because someone has mutant siblings that doesn't make them a mutant. Both of Graydon Creed's parents were mutants (Mystique and Sabertooth) yet he was not, rare but not unknown in the Marvel comic universe.
    Last edited by Indigo_Lady; 05-11-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Nah. And neither should Psylocke or older brother Jamie.

Retconning clairvoyant Betsy into another telepathic mutant was a mistake. They should be magical hybrids.

Meggan SHOULD be a mutant. An incredibly powerful proto-diety mutation, like Darwin and Random.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    No. Namor is not mutant because he is half-Atlantean, it is because his human half is mutant and has X-Gene. That's why he has wings on his feet and he can fly.
    This is interesting - has it been established in the comics that the X-gene comes from Namor's human half?

Also, I agree that having an X-gene should be the determining (X-)factor, although I think some comics tend to blur the line between mutate (ie children of super-powered, non-mutant parents) and actual mutants.

For example, Franklin Richards is considered a mutant, but would he have powers had his parents not been exposed to cosmic radiation?

No he is not but i wouldn't be against it.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    This is interesting - has it been established in the comics that the X-gene comes from Namor's human half?

Also, I agree that having an X-gene should be the determining (X-)factor, although I think some comics tend to blur the line between mutate (ie children of super-powered, non-mutant parents) and actual mutants.

For example, Franklin Richards is considered a mutant, but would he have powers had his parents not been exposed to cosmic radiation?
    Namor has been established to be hybrid between Homo superior and Homo mermanus. I doubt that it is their Atlantean side that has X-Gene.

I guess adding the mutant to the mix was to explain why not all hybrids of Atlantean and human are ridiculously strong, if not in a mixture generation you would have an unstoppable army.

Regarding Franklin, I understand that cosmic radiation boosted his mutation. He probably would have had powers if his parents were normal but not so powerful but he has a X-Gene.