View Poll Results: What is your favourite story from Daken's solo series?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • THE PRINCE #75-77

11 22.92%
  • MY HERO #78-80

1 2.08%
  • A Cautionary Tale #81

1 2.08%
  • GODLIKE #82-84

1 2.08%
  • RECKONING #85-86 [Wolverine crossover]

2 4.17%
  • Idle Hands #87

1 2.08%
  • PUNISHMENT #88-89 [Punisher crossover]

3 6.25%
  • EMPIRE #90/1-3

0 0%
  • EMPIRE: ACT II #4-7

2 4.17%
  • COLLISION #8-9 [X-23 crossover]

24 50.00%
  • BIG BREAK #10-12

0 0%
  • MOONWALK #13-15

1 2.08%
  • PRIDE COMES… #16-19

1 2.08%
  • A Love Story? #20

0 0%
  • LOST WEEKEND #21-23

0 0%
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool Watching the World Burn; DAKEN APPRECIATION THREAD

“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
    ― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

A thread dedicated to appreciating the incredible DAKEN AKIHIRO; a man who just wants to watch the world burn. He is monstrous, intelligent, wonderful and Marvel's second ever LGBT on-going solo star.
    He had two solo series:
    (2009) Dark Wolverine #75-90
    (2010) Daken: Dark Wolverine #1-23

[from wiki] In 1946 as Wolverine [James 'Logan' Howlett] is living in Jasmine Falls, Japan with his pregnant wife Itsu, Romulus sends the Winter Soldier [James 'Bucky' Barnes] to kill Itsu. After Itsu's death, a mysterious man cuts baby Daken from his mother's womb leaving her body lying on the floor. Daken survives this incident due to inherent healing factor.

Sometime in the year 1946, Daken is placed at the doorstep of Akihira and Natsumi, a wealthy young and traditional Japanese couple. They take his presence as an answer to their prayers and raise him as their own. Though he is named Akihiro by his father, the servants and other families of the province secretly refer to him as Daken (駄犬, "bastard dog" or "mongrel"), a slur on his obvious mixed heritage. As Akihiro grows, he is often teased by the other boys of the village. His harsh treatment over the years causes Akihiro to develop a very cold personality, directed at everyone except his father.

One night, Natsumi confesses to Akihira that she does not love their adopted son and that, after long years of trying, she is pregnant. Akihiro overhears the talk and begins plotting. Within a year, after the birth of the baby, Akihiro confronts his mother and tells her that he has killed her son. Upon learning this, Akihira is furious and disowns Akihiro, who angrily responds that "Akihiro" is not his true name anyway. Natsumi suddenly appears and tries to run him through, triggering the unsheathing of his mutant claws. He waves his arm, accidentally slashing Natsumi. Akihira, unable to force himself to harm his son, commits suicide. Romulus then appears to the boy for the first time and tells him that he is what the boy will someday become.

Arguably his greatest achievement is killing the unkillable man: the Punisher [Frank Castle]

[from wiki] In the present, Daken disguises himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and infiltrates a facility where his father is imprisoned. He stabs Dum Dum Dugan and confronts his father for the first time. He slashes Logan across the stomach and leaves him to bleed on the floor, just as his mother was left many years before. He is next seen in Berlin at the home of a woman with whom he has been cruelly, and romantically, toying. He allowed her to witness him kissing another man on a date, although unbeknownst to her, he later murdered the man to acquire a passport. Knowing that she would drink an entire bottle of burgundy, he secretly poisons it, resulting in her death. He had to end the relationship and her life so that no loose ends could be left to tie him to his crimes.

While still in Germany, Daken is then contacted by an anonymous messenger who reminds him of his displeased master's "ultimate goal". Daken then dispatches the messenger to again make sure no trace of his presence is left. Later he appears on a train to Brussels, watching his father in a nearby stolen car. He then receives a phone call from an unknown "friend" (who is actually the resurrected Cyber), confirming his father's destination.

Shadowing his father into a bank vault in Brussels that contains the carbonadium synthesizer, Daken engages Wolverine in a bloody battle with Daken demonstrating great fighting prowess and similar speed and agility to his father. As Wolverine is hampered in the feud by his lack of desire to kill his son and his fading belief that Daken can be redeemed, he quickly loses the upper hand despite his greater experience and training. Their fight is interrupted when Cyber breaks into the vault and challenges Daken. It is then revealed that Daken trained under Cyber in the past. Cyber mentions that Daken is a better and faster fighter than he is, and was his finest student. However, Cyber's imperviousness and greater strength make that a moot point, as he later explains to Wolverine. Daken refuses to lead Cyber to his master and flees the fight, leaving his father and his mentor to deal with each other.

[from Wiki] Daken is then seen in the presence of Wild Child, and a scarred, expressionless torturer who whips him with a gasoline soaked length of rope. He pleads for mercy, but receives only a warning from his "master" to stay away from his father. Daken had spent the last couple of months being tortured under observation by Wild Child, who is acting on orders from their mutual master, Romulus.

Daken returns and fights Deadpool [Wade Wilson] and Wolverine, managing to knock Deadpool unconscious after a long fight. Daken is then confronted by Wolverine, only to be shot in the back of the head by Winter Soldier. Wolverine explains that he set up the entire scenario and leaves with the unconscious Daken, later revealed to have amnesia due to the bullet.

During "Manifest Destiny", Daken is tracked down by Sebastian Shaw and Mister Sinister [Nathaniel Essex] to help Daken regain his memories. In the finale of "Original Sin", Daken finally learns the truth behind Itsu's death and has joined Wolverine in seeking revenge against Romulus. However, Daken seemingly betrays Wolverine to Cyber afterward. It was later revealed it was all a plan to get to Cyber's secrets. After learning them, Daken apparently kills Cyber, leaving his body to Wolverine.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-13-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I'll put other links, and a "definitive reading list" here once I've finished the OP

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Please, Dark Wolverine Daken pix !!!!!!
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Good work Kieran, nice thread.

Last we saw of Daken was in uncanny avengers, Logan decided to spare him instead of killing him this time, which indicates marvel still have plans for the man.

Can't wait to see where he ends up next.

Below is one of my faverioute daken moments
    image.jpg

The infamous beating he gives Skaar

More of dakens feats:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Don't know why the pics come out so small...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Please, Dark Wolverine Daken pix !!!!!!
    From Issue #1 in which Daken is a walking crowning moment of awesome:

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DakenGirl View Post

Yes >: D (10 Char)
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

BANNED

This needs to happen again.

I especially loved their running philosophical battle while they were tearing apart Colcord's installation, which makes them very interesting foils for one another. Laura was able to get into his head in a way that no one else seemed able to do, and walked away one of the few people that Daken actually has a functional level of respect and, if not affection, at least understanding for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

This needs to happen again.

I especially loved their running philosophical battle while they were tearing apart Colcord's installation, which makes them very interesting foils for one another. Laura was able to get into his head in a way that no one else seemed able to do, and walked away one of the few people that Daken actually has a functional level of respect and, if not affection, at least understanding for.
    These 2 bounce off each other really well. I thing an ongoing starring the 2 of them would hold up really well. In a strange way, they kind of remind me of wanda and pietro from the ultimate universe.

If daken got some kind of an ongoing, here's the things I'd want to see:
    -daken hunting the winter soldier for killing his mother.
    -daken getting revenge on sabertooth by having sex with mystique and attempting to take back Madripoor.
    -daken explore his origins a little more, (tattoo, Romulus etc.)
    -daken make some strong alliances like he did with the fantastic 4, which was on done for no good reason at all,
    -daken move past the daddy issues and start fresh, the same way he tried to in DDW.
    -daken interact with the following: x23, gambit, Skaar, cyclops, magneto, scarlet spider, bullseye, Osborne, fantastic 4...

Also love that line above: "the only way to have it all, is to make sure no one else has anything"

http://****-yeah-daken.tumblr.com/page/2

**** Yes, Dakens Back Baby!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    http://****-yeah-daken.tumblr.com/page/2

**** Yes, Dakens Back Baby!!!
    There MUST be a X-23 and Daken teamup to take down whoever it is who kills Logan. And just in general, I want to see their relationship explored in more detail. Laura is about the only person Daken showed GENUINE respect and...dare I say it...affection for.

BANNED

Family picture time!

Thinking about it, while I'd love to see a Laura/Daken team-up to go after whoever kills Logan, the sheer awesome of the WHOLE FAMILY banding together could not be contained on those pages.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 07-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DakenGirl View Post

Beautiful words by daken, Man this is the darken we need back!!!

There MUST be a X-23 and Daken teamup to take down whoever it is who kills Logan. And just in general, I want to see their relationship explored in more detail. Laura is about the only person Daken showed GENUINE respect and...dare I say it...affection for.
    I wouldn't want to see anyone else but margorie liu take the reigns of daken/X23....

Family picture time!

Thinking about it, while I'd love to see a Laura/Daken team-up to go after whoever kills Logan, the sheer awesome of the WHOLE FAMILY banding together could not be contained on those pages.
    Oh Yeah, That would make a real x force right there.....

I wonder what they do with daken now that he's free from remender