Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Are people forgetting that Damian was introduced before Flashpoint and the New 52?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Are people forgetting that Damian was introduced before Flashpoint and the New 52?
    No. A lot of folks were introduced before those events and many got screwed over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    nothing, I don't wanna see a reboot anytime soon and if they reboot, it should be new ideas none of this "reset it to what I liked x amount of years ago" nonsense.
    I concur with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Very easy:

Go back to Pre-Flashpoint and only keep Crush,Teen Lantern,Damian and the YOUNG Jonathan Samuel Kent as new characters...

Bring Martha and Jonathan Kent back, Arsenal with Lian, Red Tornado with Traya.....

Tim,Cassie,Conner,Bart.... are the TT and they are 22-25 years old...moved in another town and Cassie/Conner and Tim/Steph are preparing their marriage...

Wally and Barry are the flash...

So Simply just one year after Conners Resurrection and bring Jonathan Kent back and keep Crush,Teen Lantern and YOUNG Samuel Kent...
    Damian existed pre-FP, so don't worry there. A question, though: why are the TEEN Titans in their 20s?
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Astonishing Member

Okay, here's the idea for a new take on Hawkman. Katar and Shayera Hol are peacekeepers on the planet Thanagar, a desert planet with Egypt-like architecture. The peacekeepers are the equivalent of both soldiers and police officers. Most crimes on Thanagar occur because of base greed or the desire for thrills, usually by outsiders but not always. Crimes committed out of desperation are rare, not because hunger is unheard of but because the notion of "Thanagarian honor" is so strong that it's actually considered preferable to die of hunger than to steal food (okay, I can see problems with this one. I'm not married to it). There are all sorts of esoteric cultural rules like that on Thanagar. It's why Thanagarian peacekeepers don't use guns. It's considered the ultimate dishonor to deny an enemy the right of hand-to-hand combat. Unlike Hawkworld, which played up this whole corrupt '80s sci-fi society thing, the new one is meant to feel more like pulp sci-fi. Like Burroughs's Barsoom with some of Star Trek's Klingon warrior ethos added to it. Less focus on society, more on culture (the '60s Hawkman had all sorts of fun little Thangarian cultural bits in it). So, ultimately when they get to Earth it becomes about a couple of warriors from a truly alien culture trying to adapt to Earth by playing the roles of superheroes.

Also, I'd like to keep the whole pseudo-fantasy vibe that Hawkman's enemies had. Hawkman's rogues often looked like some kind of mythical or fantastical creature but had a super-science basis. The Man-Hawks looked like Harpies. Shadow Thief looked like some kind of shadow demon. Matter Master looked like a wizard. The only one I can think of that didn't quite match up was I.Q., who dressed more like a pilot from a pulp adventuire novel.

1. Bring back Earth-Two for JSA and the rest of the multiverse as well
    2. Take an "it all happened" approach to continuity

To me, CoIE was DC's original sin. In trying to simplify things, it wound up complicating them further. Worse, it virtually wiped out almost 50 years of incredibly rich history. Bring it all back, please. Resurrect the dead. And make room for the great characters and history that came after CoIE.

Publish a new History of the DCU to help new readers. But please stop erasing the past in order to accommodate the future. It's subtractive, not additive.

Have a Justice League that has Robin and the Wonder Twins as members.

Recreate an Earth 2 that's a more classic version and features the JSA, Infinity Inc, and their various villains.

Create an Earth 3 title that explores the Crime Syndicate, their histories, their world.

Produce a Year One maxiseries about the founding of the Justice League, that removes Cyborg from the line up/origin, but includes Zatanna, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Vixen, Black Lightning, Shazam, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Plastic Man as founders.

Bring back and invest in the Key, Queen Bee, Doctor Destiny, Despero, The Royal Flush Gang, Queen of Fables, and Starbreaker as major, powerful foes.

Relaunch Birds of Prey with Batgirl, Huntress, Black Canary, Flamebird, and Onyx.

Relaunch the Secret Six with Scandal Savage, Catman, Deadshot, Jeannette, Ragdoll, and Bane.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The way I see it, there are only two ways to go:

1) Hard reboot ala the Earth One line. Everyone starts at zero. New Superman. New Batman. New Wonder Woman. No sidekicks. We get to see everything from the beginning. In a way I could see the EO line becoming a sort of new continuity unto itself. This might be kind of a hard sell. New 52 was a hard enough sell and it still tried to keep some of the old history.

2) Go back to the pre-COIE continuity by having some big event where the heroes go back and prevent the Crisis from ever happening in the first place and then incorporate some of the modern elements into the "old" continuity. Like the Super-marriage or the birth of Damien. Even then it might be a little hard to incorporate some elements like Jessica Cruz or what to do with Wally.
    Assassinate Putin!

Boisterously Confused

Hard reboot in a new Earth 0.
    Keep the most classical elements of five of DC's "uncancelled 6":
    • Superman: Last survivor of Krypton, rocketed to Earth, raised by kindly farmers, seeking to do the most good and inspire others to do the same, the most powerful of the heroes, a reporter (or maybe blogger) with Lois, Perry and the Planet
    • Batman: the brilliant obsessed orphan determined to terrorize criminals of all forms, using his wealth and genius to keep himself equipped with just above state of the art technology, Alfred and Gordon remain
    • Robin: Richard Grayson (I'm with those that say the name "Dick" probably needs to go), Batman's orphaned partner (probably need to update Haley's Circus to something like Cirque du Soleil), Nightwing's not out of the question, but give it a bit of time
    • Aquaman: the hybrid king of the seas, with superhuman strength, speed, and durability, able to communicate with/command sea-life, no Mera to begin with, but let it happen over time
    • Green Arrow: the almost superhumanly accurate archer, transformed by his time marooned on an island, using his wealth, skills and technologies to level the playing field against those that prey upon others
    Wonder Woman: Give her a revision as heavy as the one Perez gave her in 1987, perhaps remove the literal interpretation of the Olympian deities, and frame The Amazons as something akin to Gruenwald's interpretation of Power Princess' Utopians, but keep all the classical beats like Trevor, an all-female civilization, the lasso, tiara, bracelets, and plane, and her mission to spread her people's philosophy.
    All Others: Give us as radical a revision as Barry/Hal/Ray/Katar were to Flash/Green Lantern/The Atom/Hawkman in the Silver Age.
    Apply a sliding scale of time to the future, the first of them appeared "a few years ago"

Restore Earth 1, but treat it the way Earth 2 was treated in the Silver Age, as a place where superheroes have largely retired, but occasionally dust off the tights over unfinished business, or pure nostalgia; the former Teen Titans are now the premiere heroes of the world. Its "now" is always roughly contemporary with Earth 0, and so the timeline slides, with Superman having first appeared "30 years ago", but never be specific about what year that was. Use sparingly

Restore Earth 2, but with the idea Inifinity, Inc. are the main, mature heroes, and perhaps even show casing a new generation that's coming up with no connection to the original. E2's Superman debuted in 1938, but time works differently there, moving more slowly relative to E0/E1; the date on first encounter is 30 year in the past, and gradually grows longer over time. Use even more sparingly.

A special case: Dr. Fate and The Phantom Stranger are the only ones that can cross the inter-dimensional divides with ease. The Tower of Fate, it turns out, has an almost infinite number of exterior walls, but only four tend to manifest in any given dimension, making uncertain of just which reality Dr. Fate is a native. Why the Phantom Stranger gets to cross planes so easily is just as enigmatic as everything else about him.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If we're going to have a multiverse, it should be a place where all the previous continuities reside. A pre-Crisis Earth 1. A pre-Crisis Earth 2. A post-Crisis Earth. A New 52 Earth. Everyone's favorite version still lives on somewhere out in the multiverse. THEN worry about things like the Elseworlds. The multiverse should be more than a place where we see nightmare versions of characters. Which seems to be the only thing DC uses it for anymore
    Assassinate Putin!

Hot take: Reboots are never necessary from a stroytelling standpoint. They are pure marketing. Just tell cool stories.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If we're going to have a multiverse, it should be a place where all the previous continuities reside. A pre-Crisis Earth 1. A pre-Crisis Earth 2. A post-Crisis Earth. A New 52 Earth. Everyone's favorite version still lives on somewhere out in the multiverse. THEN worry about things like the Elseworlds. The multiverse should be more than a place where we see nightmare versions of characters. Which seems to be the only thing DC uses it for anymore
    I love it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Hot take: Reboots are never necessary from a stroytelling standpoint. They are pure marketing. Just tell cool stories.
    I agree. Canon sometimes gets in the way of telling new, cool and interesting stories especially if the character the writer wants to write about is dead or screwed over.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'd flip it. Earth-0 would function like the pre-Crisis Earth Two functioned: older heroes, with families, with lots of legacy. The secondary continuity, a rebooted Earth 1, would be a lot like the pre-Crisis Earth One, younger first gen heroes by way of starting from scratch. Instead of a literal New 52 Earth, this would be kinda like that, with liberties to not be beholden to everything that line did, just in general concept.

Old verbatim continuities could have their own Earths, but with rebranded number designations further down the line, as those would be mostly for nostalgia purposes and not utilized that often.

But in general I agree with the notion that DC is just absolutely pathetic when it comes to utilizing the Multiverse. Either they're not using it at all, or its only for some event purpose, as right now with the craze with Metal and the DM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    nothing, I don't wanna see a reboot anytime soon and if they reboot, it should be new ideas none of this "reset it to what I liked x amount of years ago" nonsense.
    What lemonpeace said. Heck, I'd appreciate it if they'd stop "reset it to what i liked x amount of years ago" when they're NOT rebooting, too.