Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Happy Days after season five. The Fonz in Hollywood/jumping the shark and meeting Mork. I thought this show has had it's best days. Apparently it actually got more popular for a season or two but whenever I looked in it seemed cringeworthy. Perhaps I was too close to childhood to enjoy it's childishness. Half the cast seemed to get a cheer upon entry, everyone was a love interest, then some of the cast started wearing Seventies clothes! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Happy Days after season five. The Fonz in Hollywood/jumping the shark and meeting Mork. I thought this show has had it's best days. Apparently it actually got more popular for a season or two but whenever I looked in it seemed cringeworthy. Perhaps I was too close to childhood to enjoy it's childishness. Half the cast seemed to get a cheer upon entry, everyone was a love interest, then some of the cast started wearing Seventies clothes! LOL
    Ah, the laugh track. Never noticed the clothes.

That's one of those ironies. The very term "Jumping the shark" comes from Happy Days but, apparently, that episode and season were among the highest ratings in the show's history.

I know it's frustrating when you're a fan of a show and it's original precise and then pandering and cheap tricks make it even more popular.

At least with Buffy, I have the warped satisfaction of knowing that, by the end of season 7, it had lost the entire audience it built up and that the last season was essentially tied with the first as the lowest ratings of the show.
    Power with Girl is better.

About Jumping the Shark. Henry Winkler talks about it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/henry...fonz_n_7236098
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

All the CW shows as the plots got so convoluted and acting became unbearable, so very early on.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

So while they weren't my favorite I did watch all of the Vampire Diaries and its spinoff The Originals. So of course I gave Legacies a try because I actually liked Hope, the character it was going to be set around, and Alaric, the other returning character from the first two series. But the rest of the new characters are just awful - utterly unlikeable and unwatchable due to blandness. Klaus from the Originals wasn't a likeable character but he was always interesting unlike all the new characters on Legacies. I gave up after about six episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    At least with Buffy, I have the warped satisfaction of knowing that, by the end of season 7, it had lost the entire audience it built up and that the last season was essentially tied with the first as the lowest ratings of the show.
    Its ratings were a product of going to a new network starting with season 6 that much of the country didn't get. As I recall it was UPN and it was up to your local networks if they wanted to run syndicated shows from UPN or not and when they ran them. For my area, they played Buffy Saturday nights at 11:30 pm. And even then they didn't show all the episodes.

In a reverse of this premise. I watch all the Arroweverse shows (except Supergirl) but I gave up on Legends early in season 2 because it just sucked. It ends up on Netflix so a year or so later I end up binging the rest of season 2 and yep it still sucked. So I didn't watch season 3 or 4 at all. Then about 3 months ago in need of something to watch I decide what the hell lets torture myself with season 3 and a funny thing happened - the show got great. It utterly changed tone and instead of trying to be boringly serious it embraced its goofiness and became fun. I ended up binging all of seasons 3 and 4 in under two weeks as I loved them.

Being Human (US): When the vampire, werewolf, and ghost pretty much gave up trying to (heh) be human, giving into their monstrous impulses, I gave up on the show. I was watching to see them be better than what they were, not to see them become monsters.

Doctor Who: After the wonderful Doctor/River Song Christmas special (which was an excellent jumping off point), I was pretty much done with it. Clara was annoying and overstayed her welcome, I didn't like the previews for the Doctor's new companions, and I haven't watched since.

Star Trek Discovery: After a horrible 1/2 half of the first season, I just didn't watch the 2nd 1/2 except for the finale. It was filled with rape, cannibalism, and horror... and that's not what Star Trek should be about. I started again with the 2nd season when the writing staff changed and the show became more hopeful and Trek-like again, though. I don't think I'll ever watch the 2nd half of season 1 with its Mirror Universe focus, and season 2 feels like an entirely different and far superior show!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    So while they weren't my favorite I did watch all of the Vampire Diaries and its spinoff The Originals. So of course I gave Legacies a try because I actually liked Hope, the character it was going to be set around, and Alaric, the other returning character from the first two series. But the rest of the new characters are just awful - utterly unlikeable and unwatchable due to blandness. Klaus from the Originals wasn't a likeable character but he was always interesting unlike all the new characters on Legacies. I gave up after about six episodes.
    Legends remains my favorite Arrowverse show.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

In the old days, when you gave up on a series that was it--unless it went into syndication and you might catch it later. Nowadays, you know that it's always there whenever you wish to pick it up again. So there are a lot of series that are on hiatus for me, but I know at some point I can go back and watch them to see what I missed.

I went on hiatus from GOTHAM during the first season, but I've always intended to binge the rest of the series someday. I checked out of ARROW after season 3, but then I had to binge it to be caught up for the crossovers--however, the series never felt as good for me as those first two seasons. I keep watching MODERN FAMILY out of habit, even though it stopped being good five seasons ago. I lost interest in ORPHAN BLACK during its final season, but it's one of those I will have to watch eventually. I'm currently on hiatus from DOCTOR WHO, I haven't watched any of this latest season (even though I've watched the rest of DW, some stories two or three times).

It's like with comics. I don't feel the need to buy comics, because I know I can always get them later in TPB form or else digitally. I haven't stopped--I'm just on pause.

Astonishing Member

X-Files: When Mulder left...

24: When Jack got addicted in season 3, I was out.

Arrow: Season 3 was my last, got too boring and cheap

I gave up on Star Trek Voyager shortly after Seven of Nine became a character.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Its ratings were a product of going to a new network starting with season 6 that much of the country didn't get. As I recall it was UPN and it was up to your local networks if they wanted to run syndicated shows from UPN or not and when they ran them. For my area, they played Buffy Saturday nights at 11:30 pm. And even then they didn't show all the episodes.
    That is true. I'm a bit surprised that UPN canceled it. By their standards, I thought it was highly rated. Or maybe it was that it was also too expensive and they wanted cheap so-called "reality" shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I gave up on Star Trek Voyager shortly after Seven of Nine became a character.
    I don't even remember exactly when I drifted away from Voyager. I caught up on some of what I missed by watching it on Netflix. But then, I drifted away yet again before finishing it. It's still there on Netflix, of course, so there's always the chance I'll finish it.

I was a huge fan of TNG and yet I drifted away from it at some point and came back for the finale. On Netflix, I had no trouble doing a re-watch of the original, DS9 and even Enterprise. But I couldn't get through Voyager and TNG. Why I couldn't get through Voyager is probably obvious. It was just that bad. With the NG, I think I reached an episode or three that I knew were going to be very depressing and I just couldn't slog through them. That's interesting because I'm right now doing a re-watch of all the Vic Fontaine episodes of DS9 and even ones where he's mentioned. "It's Only A Paper Moon" may be my all-time favorite Star Trek episode along with the "Siege" episode right before it and "The Empath" from the original Star Trek.

But I just could not get through Voyager despite liking some of the characters such as Tuvok and the Holographic Doctor.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    then some of the cast started wearing Seventies clothes! LOL
    It seemed to me that was the case almost from the beginning. One of those details that always bugged in movies and TV shows. Also the hair. Once I was in the navy, it bugged me that every military man on screen had hair touching his ears--that would never pass muster.

I guess that Leather Tuscadero was the worst anachronistic offender. But now I have such an appreciation for Suzi Quatro that I don't mind it. We should have just been thankful for her presence in our living rooms each week.