Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default CBR Ranks Teen Titans Teams Through The Eras

I would definitely rank #10 higher. #9, 8, and 6 are definitely my least-favorite eras of the team.

And where the heck is Devon Grayson's Titans book (1999-2003)? It definitely should've made this list IMO.

https://www.cbr.com/teen-titans-eras-ranked/

10. Dan Jurgens Era (1996-1998)

9. Team Titans Era (1992-1994)

8. New 52 Era (2011-2016)

7. Post-Wildebeest Era (1992-1994)

6. Zero Hour Era (1994-1996)

5. 1970s Teen Titans Era (1976-1978)

4. Rebirth Era (2016-Onward)

3. Original Teen Titans Era (1966-1972)

2. Post-Young Justice Era (2003-2011)

1. New Teen Titans Era (1980-1990)

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    8. New 52 Era (2011-2016)

4. Rebirth Era (2016-Onward)

1. New Teen Titans Era (1980-1990)
    These dates are wrong. There were two volumes during New 52. They should be counted separately. The Rebirth era is FOUR separate runs. Titans and Teen Titans, before and after the No Justice mini-series. And as for New Teen Titans, that was renamed to New Titans in 1988, and Wolfman's run finally ended in 1996.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I want a split for NTT for Pérez and no Pérez.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Agree. There is no way that the Post Perez issues should even be in the top 5 much less ranked #1.

And the cut off point in that case is 1985. I don't know where they got 1990 from.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And the cut off point in that case is 1985. I don't know where they got 1990 from.
    Wash't there a pretty big lineup change at the end of 1990? Red Star, Pantha, Phantasm? I quit reading shortly after that. I binge-read back issues as my first exposure, and definitely noticed the decline in quality around the time of COIE, but not because of it (later I realized it was with Perez leaving), but it was shortly after the cast shakeup that I abandoned the title. Not that shortly. I mean, I stuck around at least two or three issues after Jericho died, even though I hated the storyline (him dying would have been okay, but not the way they villainized him and used Deathstroke to take him out). But there was just nothing left worth reading anymore to me. I know I didn't make it to Lord Chaos' appearance, but am not sure when I quit reading.

Extraordinary Member

Wash't there a pretty big lineup change at the end of 1990? Red Star, Pantha, Phantasm? I quit reading shortly after that. I binge-read back issues as my first exposure, and definitely noticed the decline in quality around the time of COIE, but not because of it (later I realized it was with Perez leaving), but it was shortly after the cast shakeup that I abandoned the title. Not that shortly. I mean, I stuck around at least two or three issues after Jericho died, even though I hated the storyline (him dying would have been okay, but not the way they villainized him and used Deathstroke to take him out). But there was just nothing left worth reading anymore to me. I know I didn't make it to Lord Chaos' appearance, but am not sure when I quit reading.
    I'm not sure of the year, but yeah there was an overhaul of the membership. Also, Wolfman stated in an interview I read years ago that even though he was credited as the writer, he had very little -if any - say in the direction of the book at this point.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, some of the issues after the Terror of Trigon are good. But there is a definite noticeable drop in quality as soon as Perez leaves.

I plan on getting the new trades up until Danny Chase appears, then I'm out lol.

I'm not sure of the year, but yeah there was an overhaul of the membership. Also, Wolfman stated in an interview I read years ago that even though he was credited as the writer, he had very little -if any - say in the direction of the book at this point.
    He suffered from an editorial mandate? That's strange considering he'd previously been both the writer AND the editor of the Teen Titans books.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Jurgen's Titans need more love. It was an underrated run.
    Great characterization, well written and enjoyable.

Argent is a charachter guitily forgotten in the limbo by DC, when we have now others much less interesting running wild in Titans and YJ titles.
    Risk and Joto (Hot Spot) have been sadly used for vile shocking moments by Johns and King.
    I can't even remeber the last time I've read about Prysm, maybe it's better for her.

Anyway I have great memories of this run and it's easily in my TT's top 5

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He suffered from an editorial mandate? That's strange considering he'd previously been both the writer AND the editor of the Teen Titans books.
    I located the interview (in a book called Titans Companion. I won't bore everyone with exact quotes but someone named Jonathan Peterson took over as editor and even though Marv contributed some ideas to the story, he had no final say in the decision making.

Titans Hunt was only supposed to be three or four issues but Peterson kept extending it. Wolfman hated killing off Jericho and making him evil. It was a stunt to give Deathstroke more depth. Cyborg was only supposed to be out of commission for two or three issues but the decision was made to keep him the way he was. Team Titans were only supposed to be a one-shot instead of receiving their own book. He didn't care for the characters or their book at all. Wolfman absolutely hated bringing Terra back. He felt the character was dead and should've stayed that way. He never cared for Speedy so was not excited about Arsenal leading the team.

In a nutshell, Wolfman throws the word 'stupid' around a lot in the interview concerning this period of time. He either didn't like what was done or has very little memory of certain details. I believe he only stayed around because he loved the idea of the book and 'his' characters but didn't like the direction it took during this time period.

Astonishing Member

I located the interview (in a book called Titans Companion. I won't bore everyone with exact quotes but someone named Jonathan Peterson took over as editor and even though Marv contributed some ideas to the story, he had no final say in the decision making.

Titans Hunt was only supposed to be three or four issues but Peterson kept extending it. Wolfman hated killing off Jericho and making him evil. It was a stunt to give Deathstroke more depth. Cyborg was only supposed to be out of commission for two or three issues but the decision was made to keep him the way he was. Team Titans were only supposed to be a one-shot instead of receiving their own book. He didn't care for the characters or their book at all. Wolfman absolutely hated bringing Terra back. He felt the character was dead and should've stayed that way. He never cared for Speedy so was not excited about Arsenal leading the team.

In a nutshell, Wolfman throws the word 'stupid' around a lot in the interview concerning this period of time. He either didn't like what was done or has very little memory of certain details. I believe he only stayed around because he loved the idea of the book and 'his' characters but didn't like the direction it took during this time period.
    Wolfman is a man of strange tastes.He gave Deathstroke a free pass and had his self insert marry Donna.

That surprises me. Most writers would've walked away in that situation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Jurgen's Titans need more love. It was an underrated run.
    Great characterization, well written and enjoyable.
    I would put it at least at 7th place of all the listed, it is kind of an odd run since the were only new original members on the team with no connection to the original members, but it were no problems with the writing opposed to "Team Titans Era", "New 52 Era", "Post-Wildebeest Era" and "Zero Hour Era" which are imo all pretty crappy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I would put it at least at 7th place of all the listed, it is kind of an odd run since the were only new original members on the team with no connection to the original members, but it were no problems with the writing opposed to "Team Titans Era", "New 52 Era", "Post-Wildebeest Era" and "Zero Hour Era" which are imo all pretty crappy.
    True, no original member is around, but Lilith had been around for quite a bit. And I like how Jurgens finally gave her an identity other than her name (Omen).