Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any plans to do anything with Scott Lang / Ant-Man?

Kinda thought about it and realized that Scott hasn't had an ongoing since Astonishing Ant-Man back in 2015/2016 (released just in time for the movie). The last thing of note that he did was a miniseries with Nadia last year. And... I really can't think of any recent thing he did of note other than making an appearance in Fantastic Four where all members who had been affiliated with the family were summoned to fight the Griever.

It's weird because Marvel has made Scott the face of the Ant-Man identity, and yet in the comics he's still a minor player. That's awfully funny, since on the movie front, he was one of the most important people in Endgame. If it weren't for him, Thanos would've completely succeeded at his goal forever. You would think that with Endgame giving Scott exposure to an innumerably large audience, that Marvel would capitalize and give Scott another series. But no. It's especially weird given the common tactic of launching a new series in time for an adaptation. Him being core the biggest movie ever, you'd think Scott would get something.

The least they could do is put him in another team book. Have him join the Avengers, or help out the Fantastic Four as a supporting character, or be part of another team. Just do something with him.

What gives?

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

The only other recent thing he was in was the War of the Realms Giant-Man mini.

But yeah, it sucks that his movie popularity has not translated to the comics at all. He is my favorite character and I honestly don't know if we will ever see him get another series again unless they make an Ant-Man 3.
    Baby Thanos

A big MCU Avenger in print limbo? Say whaaaaaaat???
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Scarlet Witch, Bucky, Falcon also say join the club. I'm sure putting out 6 Spider Man books was worth it.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Also it seems like he should be one of the easiest characters to write since you can just shrink him to infiltrate somewhere, grow him to make him fight someone big, etc.

He could make any team a little more interesting.
    Baby Thanos

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Also it seems like he should be one of the easiest characters to write since you can just shrink him to infiltrate somewhere, grow him to make him fight someone big, etc.

He could make any team a little more interesting.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Scarlet Witch, Bucky, Falcon also say join the club. I'm sure putting out 6 Spider Man books was worth it.
    Bucky's in that new Strikeforce comic that launches this week.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I love the character...and while I enjoyed the last couple Ant Man series...I was kind of disappointed in the whole 'walking around in the costume all the time' thing.

I would love a new series with him and his supporting cast. Scott back in Miami with a PI license and making good money doing insurance recovery...and helping out the little guy between paying jobs. Kind of like the Marvel Comics version of Burn Notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I love the character...and while I enjoyed the last couple Ant Man series...I was kind of disappointed in the whole 'walking around in the costume all the time' thing.

I would love a new series with him and his supporting cast. Scott back in Miami with a PI license and making good money doing insurance recovery...and helping out the little guy between paying jobs. Kind of like the Marvel Comics version of Burn Notice.
    What do you mean by that? Are you referring to him needing a suit for his powers? I think if you're going to be relying on tech to be awesome, you best be wearing it a great deal. Doctor Doom has the right idea.

I always liked that Scott doesn't have innate powers and gets them from a suit, makes him feel more relatable for his Average Joe angle.

On another side note, thanks to Scott's lack of focus, I think it's impacted Cassie as well. Has she done anything as of late? It's odd because when she became a superhero after Scott's death, Stature was pretty prominent as a Young Avenger, participating in multiple events, and also helping out the main Avengers. Now she comes off as rather forgotten.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    What do you mean by that? Are you referring to him needing a suit for his powers? I think if you're going to be relying on tech to be awesome, you best be wearing it a great deal. Doctor Doom has the right idea.

I always liked that Scott doesn't have innate powers and gets them from a suit, makes him feel more relatable for his Average Joe angle.

On another side note, thanks to Scott's lack of focus, I think it's impacted Cassie as well. Has she done anything as of late? It's odd because when she became a superhero after Scott's death, Stature was pretty prominent as a Young Avenger, participating in multiple events, and also helping out the main Avengers. Now she comes off as rather forgotten.
    I mean he was in his costume the whole time except at the end of the series after Battleworld when he was in jail. There was no Scott walking around in civvies having a normal life.

IIRC...he has been permeated with Pym Particles long enough he can shrink and grow without the suit.

Cassie was in the Giant Man WoTR limited.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 09-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.

When was that? I don't recall ever hearing that, and the wiki sites all say he's a human who uses Pym Particles through his suit. I know they're not always reliable, but this is literally the first time hearing about it ever.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Hank? Because as you say, he wouldn't be in his suit all the time if he could shrink without I bet.

Also, I'm gonna look into that series based on your recommendation, thanks.

Extraordinary Member

When was that? I don't recall ever hearing that, and the wiki sites all say he's a human who uses Pym Particles through his suit. I know they're not always reliable, but this is literally the first time hearing about it ever.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Hank? Because as you say, he wouldn't be in his suit all the time if he could shrink without I bet.

Also, I'm gonna look into that series based on your recommendation, thanks.
    I think it is mostly implied. Most characters who have prolonged, repeated exposure to Pym Particles gain the ability to produce them https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Pym_Particles. And Cassie's entry says her power are the same as her father's and others https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Cassa...ng_(Earth-616). It would be weird to say it happens to everyone but him.

I don't think she meant it that way. Her powers being the same refers to the effect, not the means. I believe it's an important distinction that Cassie has innate powers but Scott doesn't. Not sure how it works, but I guess Scott never tried exposing himself directly to them and only regulated them through his suit, because that sounds rather dangerous. If it isn't, why aren't more people doing it?

But you do have a point, it is weird that Hank, Janet and Cassie are able to shrink and grow naturally, as well as various other characters, but not Scott. To be fair, I think Eric had to use a suit as well. So there's a theory: maybe it's selective. Idk, but as it stands I haven't seen anything to suggest he doesn't need a suit.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Personally I think it’s annoying that Marvel has forcibly villainised two of the three Ant Men and not utilised the distinctive father-daughter relationship between Scott and Cassie to full effect. Hank could have embraced elements of his MCU incarnation and finally been allowed to move forward from his two faults, and Eric could have remained the jerk would be hero, but them becoming full on villains robbed them of their most interesting qualities. And Scott and Janet are left in relative limbo and Nadia is and isn’t the Hope they want in the comics.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think she meant it that way. Her powers being the same refers to the effect, not the means. I believe it's an important distinction that Cassie has innate powers but Scott doesn't. Not sure how it works, but I guess Scott never tried exposing himself directly to them and only regulated them through his suit, because that sounds rather dangerous. If it isn't, why aren't more people doing it?

But you do have a point, it is weird that Hank, Janet and Cassie are able to shrink and grow naturally, as well as various other characters, but not Scott. To be fair, I think Eric had to use a suit as well. So there's a theory: maybe it's selective. Idk, but as it stands I haven't seen anything to suggest he doesn't need a suit.
    From Marvel's official site...https://www.marvel.com/characters/an...comics/profile. If Marvel says so it must be so.

Scott Lang has internalized this ability, allowing him to change size with the power of his mind.
    And Eric was relatively new at it...might not have had enough exposure before he got shwacked.