Page 70 of 613 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170570 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 9194
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

So generally speaking, I LOVE everything he has to say here.

* When's the last time someone interviewed about Supeeman gave, like, actual opinions about the character besides "he's good and I like him", guaranteed to piss people off? Saying the recent movies got it wrong, noting that if you don't like Lois you're missing the point, recentering Superman's narrative around making unashamedly leftie superhero comics (just like Mom, Pop, Jerry, Joe, Grant, and Greg used to make!).

* The High Concept is amazing, and I'm looking forward to what Superlad has to say. God willing that's the kind of cosmic scope Superman proper will stay on (and the suggestion ramifications will play out with Lois investigating it in Action or her own title basically confirmed here is tantalizing as hell too), and it might explain spoilers:
    the seeming partial image of Earth-Two Superman Doc Shaner posted on Instagram.
    end of spoilers Not at all in Bendis's usual wheelhouse either, which makes me think this is an idea he's been sitting on for a good long time rather than a spur-of-the-moment pitch.

*spoilers:
    For the elephant in the room: if Lois and Clark do temporarily separate (we know it's temporary since they're together in Doomsday Clock), there's a right and wrong way. If one of them is like "I love you, we'll figure this out, but this is some wild shit to wrap our heads around and given the implications maybe it'd be better if we did it on our own for a bit" I'm good. If it's a weepy "Was our love...A LIE?!" thing punctuated with a teary reunion, while I wouldn't say it'd be impossible to sell me, it'd take a LOT. I assume if this is true the idea from a Marvel book he's applying here is how Jessica Jones and Luke Cage briefly separated in her book.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 03-15-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    Buh-bye

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

* When's the last time someone interviewed about Supeeman gave, like, actual opinions about the character besides "he's good and I like him", guaranteed to piss people off? Saying the recent movies got it wrong, noting that if you don't like Lois you're missing the point, recentering Superman's narrative around making unashamedly leftie superhero comics (just like Mom, Pop, Jerry, Joe, Grant, and Greg used to make!).

* The High Concept is amazing, and I'm looking forward to what Superlad has to say. God willing that's the kind of cosmic scope Superman proper will stay on (and the suggestion ramifications will play out with Lois investigating it in Action or her own title basically confirmed here is tantalizing as hell too), and it might explain spoilers:
    end of spoilers Not at all in Bendis's usual wheelhouse either, which makes me think this is an idea he's been sitting on for a good long time rather than a spur-of-the-moment pitch.

*spoilers:
    For the elephant in the room: if Lois and Clark do temporarily separate (we know it's temporary since they're together in Doomsday Clock), there's a right and wrong way. If one of them is like "I love you, we'll figure this out, but this is some wild shit to wrap our heads around and given the implications maybe it'd be better if we did it on our own for a bit" I'm good. If it's a weepy "Was our love...A LIE?!" thing punctuated with a teary reunion, while I wouldn't say it'd be impossible to sell me, it'd take a LOT. I assume if this is true the idea from a Marvel book he's applying here is how Jessica Jones and Luke Cage briefly separated in her book.
    end of spoilers
    S where did you get this?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    S where did you get this?
    The interview two pages ago, the one you relinked to when I asked about the original source.
    Buh-bye

The interview two pages ago, the one you relinked to when I asked about the original source.
    Ah thanks but for some reason ican't get to it.

BANNED

*spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Bendis is a family man himself, so he knows what it's like to keep the love in the room even if there's also an elephant in there. He's also really good at writing reconcilations. He recently put Miles Morales' parents through a brief separation and, well, he did kind of reunite them in a "teary reunion" kind of way, which you're sort of fearing with this. He did that a lot with Peter and MJ in Ultimate Spider-Man too
    end of spoilers

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This whole " Pre- destination" talk makes me think that Bendis and DC are at last going to embrace the idea Superman has lived many parallel lives in story. Of course it's been danced around and hinted at, and of course we the readers know this, but it sounds like through this new villain Supes is going to discover his existence keeps repeating and has happened before and will happen again. Learning that sort of information would be enough to make anyone question himself and his very existence. Thus opening the door to what a lot of people here like Myskin, Ascended etc. Have hoped for, which is a reconsideration of the core aspects of the character and asking questions about those aspects and more importantly , answering those questions. Why of all the jobs in the world, in the 21st century would Clark Kent be a newspaper reporter? Why even live as Clark Kent? Why is Lois so important to him? Why that costume?" Etc.

For a long time the blanket answer to those questions have been " well, it's the way it's always been. That's what Superman always been and we best not question it. " That answer doesn't fly anymore.

That doesn't mean you just then undo all of that and say, Make Clark Kent a blogger, erase any relationship with Lois and put him with someone else for the sake of it and then put him in different costumes because you feel these things are outdated and it's easier to replace those things , because those aspects are important ones to the character and have defined him and should remain. However it's been long past due to reexamine all of the above, clarify and in some ways redefine the purpose of those aspects and make sure they work as smoothly as they can.

So....The Bendis using this as a vehicle to do such work to the character is very interesting. The real question though is if Bendis' conclusions will :A) be seen as satisfactory, and B) actually will be things that stick and be utilized by future writers. If the answers are " Yes"...Then we could finally see Superman get the type of top to bottom overhaul that Batman got with both The Dark Knight Returns and Year One and how those reexaminations of Batman informed the character over the last 30 years, all without radically changing the pillars and conventions of the character where he is still recognizably Batman. Superman has long needed that. Not altering his continuity endlessly or putting him in armored suit redesigns, but doing the hard work of getting down to the nuts and bolts of the character and embracing what always made the character great while making sure those aspects work as best as they can.

If not....Well...In a couple years Dan Jurgens will be called back in to wipe the slate clean again and Bendis will join so many other runs before him in the dust bins of history.

I hope it's the former.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    Bendis is a family man himself, so he knows what it's like to keep the love in the room even if there's also an elephant in there. He's also really good at writing reconcilations. He recently put Miles Morales' parents through a brief separation and, well, he did kind of reunite them in a "teary reunion" kind of way, which you're sort of fearing with this. He did that a lot with Peter and MJ in Ultimate Spider-Man too
    end of spoilers
    It's a very impressive idea I admit destiny versus free will tha tmust have been one of the concepts that got Dan Didio to put him on Superman.

The new villian feels meta like the SuperDoom character in Morrison's action comics or Milk Wars in Young Animal.

I'm not too fond of Superman getting both Action and Superman as I rather Action be used for someone else.

I'm not against Bendis touching upon the themes he's talked about as they are themes that should be touched upon in a Superman Comic. I just rather Priest be the one whose doing it because I saw him do something similar in Deathstroke/JL and loved it. Tbf Deathstroke gives him alot more freedom to touch upon these things because deathstroke is trapped in less amber than Supes generally is.

I like Bendis but alot of his recent marvel work is rather spotty. Hopefully he knocks it out of the park.

I am loving what i am reading so far. If only Bendis can do this in a proper manner this might be one of the most important Superman runs in recent times. Not only is it going a bit deeper into his character and his world, but also on what he is doing apart from punching Darkseid in the face.

That he has some ideas like this is encouraging enough. I think the villain becoming aware of the reason of Krypton's destruction is inspired. And who is this writer who made a recent debut at Image? It looks like a dream is coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This whole " Pre- destination" talk makes me think that Bendis and DC are at last going to embrace the idea Superman has lived many parallel lives in story. Of course it's been danced around and hinted at, and of course we the readers know this, but it sounds like through this new villain Supes is going to discover his existence keeps repeating and has happened before and will happen again. Learning that sort of information would be enough to make anyone question himself and his very existence. Thus opening the door to what a lot of people here like Myskin, Ascended etc. Have hoped for, which is a reconsideration of the core aspects of the character and asking questions about those aspects and more importantly , answering those questions. Why of all the jobs in the world, in the 21st century would Clark Kent be a newspaper reporter? Why even live as Clark Kent? Why is Lois so important to him? Why that costume?" Etc.

For a long time the blanket answer to those questions have been " well, it's the way it's always been. That's what Superman always been and we best not question it. " That answer doesn't fly anymore.

That doesn't mean you just then undo all of that and say, Make Clark Kent a blogger, erase any relationship with Lois and put him with someone else for the sake of it and then put him in different costumes because you feel these things are outdated and it's easier to replace those things , because those aspects are important ones to the character and have defined him and should remain. However it's been long past due to reexamine all of the above, clarify and in some ways redefine the purpose of those aspects and make sure they work as smoothly as they can.

So....The Bendis using this as a vehicle to do such work to the character is very interesting. The real question though is if Bendis' conclusions will :A) be seen as satisfactory, and B) actually will be things that stick and be utilized by future writers. If the answers are " Yes"...Then we could finally see Superman get the type of top to bottom overhaul that Batman got with both The Dark Knight Returns and Year One and how those reexaminations of Batman informed the character over the last 30 years, all without radically changing the pillars and conventions of the character where he is still recognizably Batman. Superman has long needed that. Not altering his continuity endlessly or putting him in armored suit redesigns, but doing the hard work of getting down to the nuts and bolts of the character and embracing what always made the character great while making sure those aspects work as best as they can.

If not....Well...In a couple years Dan Jurgens will be called back in to wipe the slate clean again and Bendis will join so many other runs before him in the dust bins of history.

I hope it's the former.
    Nice post. Kind of like my thoughts. Those two books have influenced Batman so much that he is the numero uno in comics, not only DC Comics. They kind of make the framework for Batman while being true to his roots. If we speak about something similar for Superman what can we name? Death of Superman? The one where the most important thing he does is he dies. All Star Superman is great work. But it has not influenced Superman as those two have on Batman. This kind of framework is weak which shows in other media.

He becomes a reporter at the end of Man of Steel because? He falls in love with Lois because? He was in that desert in the beginning of BvS because? These are important things which they kind of skim over because a number of times that's what we expect Superman is supposed to be. But look at Batman Begins. Why is his batarang shaped like a Bat? So, that his enemies can share his fear. Almost as if we know who Batman is better then he knows himself.

On that level i am really excited with what Bendis is saying. I hope he nails it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-15-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

I honestly liked what I read. If he can properly/skillfully translate his ideas on to paper, this has huge potential for Superman as a whole. I'm still hopeful about the relationship, it may be challenging but certainly not an end or a massive shift as we saw only a few years ago. Crossing fingers and toes this doesn't disappoint.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Very nice find, lots to unpack in that interview. Also, he practically confirms a Lois Lane book is coming with a female writer who just got a Image book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Very nice find, lots to unpack in that interview. Also, he practically confirms a Lois Lane book is coming with a female writer who just got a Image book.
    It's a great time for Lois to have another go at a solo considering the times we live in. I want this to happen.

Bendis said he joked with Didio about doing something to Superman that he did to a marvel character he wrote that got a lot of attention and Didio actually was ok with him doing it. He says it has to do with diversity also... Biggest things I can think of him doing at marvel is replacing Ultimate Peter with Miles & Tony with Riri. Anything else that could relate to Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis said he joked with Didio about doing something to Superman that he did to a marvel character he wrote that got a lot of attention and Didio actually was ok with him doing it. He says it has to do with diversity also... Biggest things I can think of him doing at marvel is replacing Ultimate Peter with Miles & Tony with Riri. Anything else that could relate to Superman?
    If it was joke doesn't necessarily mean he would actually do it though i mean. And if there is a replacement in mind there are plenty of diversity replacements in Superman's stable, Supergirl and Steel. As long he uses one of them well it should lessen the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If it was joke doesn't necessarily mean he would actually do it though i mean. And if there is a replacement in mind there are plenty of diversity replacements in Superman's stable, Supergirl and Steel. As long he uses one of them well it should lessen the blow.
    I think it is happening based on how he immediately says after that answer is that it's going to be a big deal for people and for diversity.