Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Depends, how worried are you about spoilers? Because, honestly, the answer is sort of. I really wonder if the show will deviate from the books in this way, and I kind of expect them to. But, sort of.
    I think we should stick with what happens on the TV show and put things from the book in spoiler blocks.

No problem with your post though.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You can really appreciate the slow burn approach of Season 1 so much more now with how balls to the wall Season 2 has been so far. You can see now why they took so much time setting up the universe so well in Season 1 with the way so much is paying off in Season 2.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The last episode was so good. I love how Julie has merged with the Protomolecule. That was really cool.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You can really appreciate the slow burn approach of Season 1 so much more now with how balls to the wall Season 2 has been so far. You can see now why they took so much time setting up the universe so well in Season 1 with the way so much is paying off in Season 2.
    True, i almost lost interest in Season 1, so glad I stuck around.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    True, i almost lost interest in Season 1, so glad I stuck around.

I thought season 1 started slow as well. But it picked up for me. I am getting a firefly vibe from the show now though, it's extremely engaging and well done, but is not a monster in the ratings based on what little we know.

https://moviepilot.com/p/the-expanse...umbers/4213517

Season 2 was greenlit relatively quickly, no word on season 3 so far, and I am worried. Even looking at this board I looked around to see what the chatter was on the latest episode and it was a mini necro when I posted. Again, not good. This show and legion are literally top tier, and this cannot be allowed to fall, but it might if I keep getting these firefly vibes.

PS, I've started watching it on amazon video with the HD episode streaming, and it is one of the most crystal clear and fantastic looking series I've seen so far. It looks better than any tv series that is not released in 4k. I think it's partly because the film directors did not go near that hideous film grain effect like the walking dead. It is EXTREMELY crisp, so if you are able I recommend seeing it that way. Though I wonder if syfy gets a cut of that or if that goes directly to some production company.
    Last edited by Sammael; 02-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Ultimate Member

I really dunno why everyone keeps comparing this series to Firefly.

Don't get me wrong, both are/were excellent series, but the dynamics are entirely different.

Firefly was about the fringes, living and scraping by.

But everyone in the Expanse is in the thick of it, in some manner no matter where they are. Hell, there's not even an evil government in Expanse (just douche bags).

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Don't get me wrong, both are/were excellent series, but the dynamics are entirely different.

But everyone in the Expanse is in the thick of it, in some manner no matter where they are. Hell, there's not even an evil government in Expanse (just douche bags).
    It reminds me more of BSG
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    It reminds me more of BSG
    I agree, I don't see the Firefly comparison. Dark matter is more like Firefly (another cool scyfy show no one talks about)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

I should clarify, I don't think the expanse is tonally like firefly at all. My worry stems from the fact that so few people seem to be into this show. The ratings are fairly low, and the production costs are higher than some low rent show that just has shots of people around. I won't ever watch commercial television again for these types of shows, only streaming and downloads for me. But because I realize this show needs better numbers, I've actually been buying the episodes on amazon (should have gotten the season pass). On a side note, the HD quality is THE most superb I've seen at 1080p, and there is swearing. I am going to take it upon myself to trying and get more people onto the show, because almost no one knows about it.

To bring this back to firefly, the expanse is already ahead there with season 2, but what about the rest of the seasons? The show could die well before its time if it does not get more buzz and support. I want it to NOT be like firefly in that respect but I fear it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    yeah, season 1 dragged in certain areas but this season is moving along at good clip.

BANNED

I read a review about this show and decided to check it out, primarily based on the politics. But four episodes in I don't get the appeal. I find that it has too much of the re-tread that's been shown in the past. Consisting mostly of misfits-losers-trying to survive in Space. With heavy dose of Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Blade Runner. Society is gone to seed and the poor suffer. I can see the earthers being sort of like left wing in Europe and the Martians being along the lines of the far right nationalists in the US/Russia/China. And the people breaking rocks (forget their name) are the poor down trodden.

I checked out some of the trailers on Youtube for season 2 and I am not seeing anything deeper. But I just want to know is there anything more interesting than 'down with the man' and the losers become the winners and yes fight for resources.
    Last edited by Mia; 03-27-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I read a review about this show and decided to check it out, primarily based on the politics. But four episodes in I don't get the appeal. I find that it has too much of the re-tread that's been shown in the past. Consisting mostly of misfits-losers-trying to survive in Space. With heavy dose of Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Blade Runner. Society is gone to seed and the poor suffer. I can see the earthers being sort of like left wing in Europe and the Martians being along the lines of the far right nationalists in the US/Russia/China. And the people breaking rocks (forget their name) are the poor down trodden.

I checked out some of the trailers on Youtube for season 2 and I am not seeing anything deeper. But I just want to know is there anything more interesting than 'down with the man' and the losers become the winners and yes fight for resources.

It might not be the show for you. But if you can hold on through season 1, there is so much more going on. It did start slow and took time to build the Universe, but it becomes captivating.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

More. People. Need. To. See. This !

I mean I can't understand why this show still isn't getting the hype it deserves. Other shows, mediocre shows have it, why not the Expanse?!

Firefly was a good show, yes, but to compare it to the Expanse is way over the top. The Expanse is by now so much better than Firefly...
    I've seen all episodes until now and I would really describe it as "Game of Thrones meets BSG". Why Game of Thrones? Because of the story. You watch the Expanse with the 3 subplots it has right now (episode 11 in season 2) and you are so damn interested in all of them! They are all connected to each other but they play in totally different places in our solarsystem! While you are watching these episodes you can't really decide which subplot you want to see moving forward or on which one you want to focus on because they are all so damn exciting! And the political struggles, spys, the deceving and such, it's similar to Game of Thrones.

What I also love about this show is how "realistic" they try to make it. This is not Star Wars, it is not even Star Trek or Stargate. It has a BSG-feel to it but it is also much more realistic than BSG. How they handle gravity and ships which are moving around in space, or how they treat weapons in space or communication. It is just incredible.

The writing, the acting, the story and oh my god the special effects... Sorry but we have not seen any show like the Expanse on TV in literally EVER!

I can't understand why there is no hype for this show, people need to realize how amazing this show is and it deserves to run for another 6 season at least. I read that they would have enough material because of the books. I never read one but god I am such a huge fan of this universe, the effects and of this phenomenal story! I prey it will stay on forever but for that to happen people must realize how good this show is!
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER

I know, right?! This show is amazing. I can't believe more people are not watching it.

It very much has a BSG feel to it, but it's different. And it's only going to get better

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    It very much has a BSG feel to it, but it's different. And it's only going to get better

Do you say that because you've read the books? I was thinking about reading them but I don't have the time right now and I don't know if it would be a good read when you've seen the first 2 seasons on TV first.

But I can imagine that they have to cut a few plots short because books are always much more in detail and because each TV-episode is only 42 minutes. But damn those 42 minutes are over so fast every week... It would so great if the shows would be 55 minutes or even 1 hour. And every week when the episode ends you are just like "omg noooo, what happens next??!! I NEED TO KNOW, NOW!"
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER