Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthem Gameplay

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Most of the reviews I have seen have been pretty fair. They point out the ridiculous load screen times which every reviewer mentions. Angry Joe actually times out one of the missions. In the one mission there was more time used up in load screens than what it actually took to complete the mission. Seriously.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Dude No those aren't the problems that plague it and those issues don't exist lol. I've played for hours no bugs,no insane load times. And guess what? there was an update just yesterday and it wasn't monetized-why would it be?. But this is what I'm talking about you're going off of what you've got from youtube and it's bullshit. And wtf is endgame content anyway? How much do you expect to get out of a game that's finished. Like I said bullshit.
    Your antidotal experience doesn't invalidate the problems people had with the game. There more than enough evidence to show that it is there and not an isolated occurrence.

The game is a loot shooter. There should be content available after your done with the story. Borderlands had new game+ that significantly changes the game with different enemy variants and weapons, Destiny had raids.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Your antidotal experience doesn't invalidate the problems people had with the game. There more than enough evidence to show that it is there and not an isolated occurrence.

The game is a loot shooter. There should be content available after your done with the story. Borderlands had new game+ that significantly changes the game with different enemy variants and weapons, Destiny had raids.
    Been skimming through a bunch of reviews/let's-plays and, yeah, the currently anaemic endgame is a problem. Freeplay wandering, limited story mission replays plus a total of 3 strongholds (equivalent to Destiny strikes), 2 of which you'll have already run through the campaign...not nearly enough for the kind of long-term engagement a looter shooter needs. They can/will add more stuff, of course, but to launch with so little was a mistake.

Other observations:
    - Needs better loot. There's a generous drop ratio but what you're given isn't exciting. Example: there's currently 3 named varieties of assault rifle with (I assume) differing base stats. Instead of each progressive level of rarity dropping a different gun, you just get a slightly better version of the one below. Sure, it's an improvement, but there's no feeling of pleasant surprise or shock of the new. What makes it even worse, though, is that all 3 rifle types LOOK THE SAME. Defender, Hammerhead, Warden. Supposedly 3 different guns. But if they look the same and sound the same, are they different enough to make you care? Meanwhile, there's practically no option to alter your Javelin's looks outside of decals, with the main extra parts locked behind microtransactions.
    - Shooting overall lacks true 'punch' regardless of what gun you're using. How much that detracts from the experience depends on how often you can rely on your Javelin's innate abilities instead, most of which are way more exciting...though that does beg the question why they even bothered with guns in the first place. Just make the fireball hands cool down faster.
    - The 'tether' keeping a squad together - that forces stragglers to sit through another loading screen until they get teleported to wherever the one ******* that flew on ahead wound up - is WAY too restrictive. And I'd have far less of a problem with that if...
    - The campaign should be playable solo. Like Destiny or Borderlands or, hell, even non-shooter equivalents like Diablo, Anthem's story treats you like a one-of-a-kind hero, conveniently leaving out how there's thousands if not millions of people in the same boat as you. That's...dumb when you think about it for too long, but it's how these things have worked for years so what the hell. Point is, if the game's not gonna acknowledge your having help as part of its core narrative, why force you into matchmaking for every mission? Rebalancing difficulty for a single player would be easy (difficulty here generally effects nothing except damage scaling w/r/t enemies) and you'd be able to both enjoy the story AND get comfortable with the expanding mechanics if you weren't being yanked around by teammates you didn't ask for. Keep the co-op optional throughout for people who wanna play with friends or think they'll have trouble, sure, and it's important for the higher-difficulty endgame stuff like Strongholds, but having it mandatory throughout hurts more than it helps.
    - It's pretty obvious that the enemy AI was not programmed to deal with airborne opposition, which is baffling since any-time flight is the key thing separating Anthem from its peers and is easy to implement within combat encounters. I don't know how tough that'd be to fix - I guess 'very' - but I think it matters.

Just so I'm not coming off like a 'hater' or whatever, I think the game looks utterly breathtaking, the story (what parts of it I've seen) is interesting enough and buoyed by good character writing, the flying seems awesome and playing as a Storm looks like how I wish playing Warlock in Destiny worked. Just hovering imperiously around vomiting magic at people. There's potential here but it'll take a lot of work to translate that into something worthy of the time it asks.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Been skimming through a bunch of reviews/let's-plays and, yeah, the currently anaemic endgame is a problem. Freeplay wandering, limited story mission replays plus a total of 3 strongholds (equivalent to Destiny strikes), 2 of which you'll have already run through the campaign...not nearly enough for the kind of long-term engagement a looter shooter needs. They can/will add more stuff, of course, but to launch with so little was a mistake.

Other observations:
    - Needs better loot. There's a generous drop ratio but what you're given isn't exciting. Example: there's currently 3 named varieties of assault rifle with (I assume) differing base stats. Instead of each progressive level of rarity dropping a different gun, you just get a slightly better version of the one below. Sure, it's an improvement, but there's no feeling of pleasant surprise or shock of the new. What makes it even worse, though, is that all 3 rifle types LOOK THE SAME. Defender, Hammerhead, Warden. Supposedly 3 different guns. But if they look the same and sound the same, are they different enough to make you care? Meanwhile, there's practically no option to alter your Javelin's looks outside of decals, with the main extra parts locked behind microtransactions.
    - Shooting overall lacks true 'punch' regardless of what gun you're using. How much that detracts from the experience depends on how often you can rely on your Javelin's innate abilities instead, most of which are way more exciting...though that does beg the question why they even bothered with guns in the first place. Just make the fireball hands cool down faster.
    - The 'tether' keeping a squad together - that forces stragglers to sit through another loading screen until they get teleported to wherever the one ******* that flew on ahead wound up - is WAY too restrictive. And I'd have far less of a problem with that if...
    - The campaign should be playable solo. Like Destiny or Borderlands or, hell, even non-shooter equivalents like Diablo, Anthem's story treats you like a one-of-a-kind hero, conveniently leaving out how there's thousands if not millions of people in the same boat as you. That's...dumb when you think about it for too long, but it's how these things have worked for years so what the hell. Point is, if the game's not gonna acknowledge your having help as part of its core narrative, why force you into matchmaking for every mission? Rebalancing difficulty for a single player would be easy (difficulty here generally effects nothing except damage scaling w/r/t enemies) and you'd be able to both enjoy the story AND get comfortable with the expanding mechanics if you weren't being yanked around by teammates you didn't ask for. Keep the co-op optional throughout for people who wanna play with friends or think they'll have trouble, sure, and it's important for the higher-difficulty endgame stuff like Strongholds, but having it mandatory throughout hurts more than it helps.
    - It's pretty obvious that the enemy AI was not programmed to deal with airborne opposition, which is baffling since any-time flight is the key thing separating Anthem from its peers and is easy to implement within combat encounters. I don't know how tough that'd be to fix - I guess 'very' - but I think it matters.

Just so I'm not coming off like a 'hater' or whatever, I think the game looks utterly breathtaking, the story (what parts of it I've seen) is interesting enough and buoyed by good character writing, the flying seems awesome and playing as a Storm looks like how I wish playing Warlock in Destiny worked. Just hovering imperiously around vomiting magic at people. There's potential here but it'll take a lot of work to translate that into something worthy of the time it asks.
    A lot of shooter games have slight improvements for grinding guns. You're not gonna see huge leaps without a long grind in any game. Also you can do solo missions in freeplay which is available after the 2nd mission. The loot you get you can use to craft new weapons on you're armor. There are flying a.i enemies too even tho I've seen them mostly in freeplay. The tether thing might be a little annoying but the world is so big on missions you can get separated other games have smaller or more closed off playing fields. But yeah I agree the graphics are breathtaking and the characters are good.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not saying those things didn't happen but I'm saying it was mostly in the early access and you got ppl posting vids like it's still happening. Either they're lying or the retail version is just different than the dlc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I'm having a lot of fun with the game
    Me too, that's the most important part if it's fun.

I'm not saying those things didn't happen but I'm saying it was mostly in the early access and you got ppl posting vids like it's still happening. Either they're lying or the retail version is just different than the dlc.
    There was no early access. The game would have been forgiven if it actually was as there would be an expectation you are playing something still in development. People are posting videos of how the game was when they played it. That's all I can expect someone to do.

A lot of shooter games have slight improvements for grinding guns. You're not gonna see huge leaps without a long grind in any game. Also you can do solo missions in freeplay which is available after the 2nd mission. The loot you get you can use to craft new weapons on you're armor. There are flying a.i enemies too even tho I've seen them mostly in freeplay. The tether thing might be a little annoying but the world is so big on missions you can get separated other games have smaller or more closed off playing fields. But yeah I agree the graphics are breathtaking and the characters are good.
    It's less a matter of improvements and more a matter of variety. Like, if I'm playing Destiny 2 with a Protostar (blue-grade SMG) and pick up a Philippis-B (also blue-grade SMG), it's not necessarily an 'upgrade' since they're both the same rarity but they look different, sound different AND have different baseline stats so maybe the new one will agree with me more. Whereas right now in Anthem, if I get a blue-grade (or equivalent) gun twice and it's the same kind of gun as the thing I'm using, there's little sense of change. It could be a few degrees better in some direction, but not enough to really make a difference or excite me.

That's nice about solo missions, though. Are they the actual story campaign missions? Because that's not what I've been led to believe, and it would make me consider buying the thing now.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member

There was no early access. The game would have been forgiven if it actually was as there would be an expectation you are playing something still in development. People are posting videos of how the game was when they played it. That's all I can expect someone to do.
    This is just my opinion but I think if you buy a game before it's released on console you should expect some problems.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    It's less a matter of improvements and more a matter of variety. Like, if I'm playing Destiny 2 with a Protostar (blue-grade SMG) and pick up a Philippis-B (also blue-grade SMG), it's not necessarily an 'upgrade' since they're both the same rarity but they look different, sound different AND have different baseline stats so maybe the new one will agree with me more. Whereas right now in Anthem, if I get a blue-grade (or equivalent) gun twice and it's the same kind of gun as the thing I'm using, there's little sense of change. It could be a few degrees better in some direction, but not enough to really make a difference or excite me.

That's nice about solo missions, though. Are they the actual story campaign missions? Because that's not what I've been led to believe, and it would make me consider buying the thing now.
    The freeplay missions aren't directly part of the story . But the themes are the same and you can still take contracts get lots of xp and loot, to level up and craft weapons.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-24-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

This is just my opinion but I think if you buy a game before it's released on console you should expect some problems.
    Name a multiplayer game didn't launch with problems in the last few years? It's not like console game launches are issue free.

Extraordinary Member

Name a multiplayer game didn't launch with problems in the last few years? It's not like console game launches are issue free.
    They all have issues but by the time the game reaches console they usually have major glitches patched. RDR2 was the worst online mp I've seen. And that was after console launch so yeah you gotta point.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

YoungYea dismantles the game in a review of the main missions and claims its a game with "No soul".

The release of the game became a comedy of errors as well as EA and Bioware was more about $$$ and did a confusing chart of the release and more of it. Rich from Reviewtech mocked the entire chart of how it was released .

I mean when the release itself is a confusing mess of **** , no wonder the game is getting mid reviews.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.