Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

The movie isn't even out yet, it's a little soon to clutch those pearls.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I do agree that they need to move beyond the OT-era (just not in the dismissive way the sequel trilogy went about it) but if Old Republic era Star Wars (or EU/Legends in general) taught me anything, is that there are plenty of great stories you can tell in this universe without having to constantly mine the OT.

The Nolan trilogy was good, but that doesn't mean that I never want another Batman-related thing ever again.

I'd say that KOTOR and some of the mid 2000's EU started to lean more on OT tropes. the LEGACY comic series for instance isn't all that different from the direction of the sequel trilogy, with a new Empire/dark side ascendant, the Jedi Order extinct once again etc. The LEGACY OF THE FORCE novels likewise had Han's son become a Sith Lord.

The KOTOR games likewise seemed to use a lot of stuff from the OT with some PT elements. There's a droid practically identical to R2, a Millenium Falcon style ship, and a giant superweapon. The designs are also more heavily OT style, as oppossed to the "ancient" Egyptian/Babylonian/Rome style look of the previous comics set in that era...and having the heroes face off against alien invaders is sort of making it like every other Sci-fi.

Although they tried a different direction with stuff like the New Jedi Order, Swarm War and parts of the Fate of the Jedi they sort of were given a mixed reaction from fans.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'd say that KOTOR and some of the mid 2000's EU started to lean more on OT tropes. the LEGACY comic series for instance isn't all that different from the direction of the sequel trilogy, with a new Empire/dark side ascendant, the Jedi Order extinct once again etc. The LEGACY OF THE FORCE novels likewise had Han's son become a Sith Lord.

The KOTOR games likewise seemed to use a lot of stuff from the OT with some PT elements. There's a droid practically identical to R2, a Millenium Falcon style ship, and a giant superweapon. The designs are also more heavily OT style, as oppossed to the "ancient" Egyptian/Babylonian/Rome style look of the previous comics set in that era...and having the heroes face off against alien invaders is sort of making it like every other Sci-fi.

Although they tried a different direction with stuff like the New Jedi Order, Swarm War and parts of the Fate of the Jedi they sort of were given a mixed reaction from fans.
    Legends also seemed to copy itself quite a bit. How many people did Luke train only to have them go to the dark side? Is the number of ones that didn't smaller?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Kyp was the first one although eventually he turned back. Funny thing there's even a bit with him digging up Vader's helmet on Endor. Then there was the two from the New Rebellion, one of which wound up in the young Jedi knights novels, the ones from Jedi Outcast...Jacen sort of counts. Probably a few more I'm missing.

Lot of them got killed off too. The Dark Empire sequels sort of give Luke a small "first class" of sorts, but the only survivor is Kam Solusar (A character originally intended to feature in a cancelled story).

Funny thing is in LEGACY, Cade's arc-initially refusing to take up the Skywalker mantle and fight the new Empire, despite being pushed by the force ghost of Luke (or his hallucinations) is kind of the inverse of THE LAST JEDI, although Luke wasn't a drugged-up smuggler but just a guy hanging out on an island.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-01-2019 at 02:43 PM.

kevin j. anderson must be the most horrible author i ever had the displeasure of reading his material. boy would i have bitched if there had been internet in the mid 90s.
    kyp durron! the rey of the 90s!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

KOTOR definitely had nods to the movies but never to the extent of something like TFA (I liked TFA, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    kevin j. anderson must be the most horrible author i ever had the displeasure of reading his material. boy would i have bitched if there had been internet in the mid 90s.
    kyp durron! the rey of the 90s!
    Yeah, the mid 90's Bantam era really went overboard with superweapons and fan-pandering, and KJA practically wrote almost everything it seems, including editing several anthology books. One book in particular-Darksaber-had Luke go on a tour of pretty much all the OT planets with his girlfriend while the Hutts built a lightsaber-shaped Death Star.

I think the X-wing novels and Zahn's return sort of corrected things for a while though shortly afterward. Plus it was pretty much the golden age of Star Wars PC games. (The prequels kind of ended that, although there are some pretty good prequel titles, such as the LEGO games, the original battlefront II, Republic Commando etc).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.

"Resistance Reborn" seems to have a few hints here and there about what's going to happen, or why things didn't happen in TLJ. For example, the Outer Rim allies? Looks like the First Order knew who they were and got to them first, and the novel's macguffin is a list of those allies.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

That’s unfortunate. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Help us Timothy Zahn, you're our only hope.

There's a new TV trailer with some new shots such as Rey in some village, what looks like the Falcon coming out of hyperspace near a desert planet (Tatooine? Jakku? That one from the Mandalorian?) some more of the Imperial Star Destroyer battle,some more shots of the scene with what looks like the Vader suit wreckage in the white room, and some context to that EMPIRE photo of Kylo in the hanger, showing Rey jumping from the hanger to the Falcon.

There's also a dolby poster showing a lone X-wing going up against the Star Destroyer fleet. Curiously they have a red trim on the sides, evocative of the prequel destroyers but also could be Sith.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.

There's a new TV trailer with some new shots such as Rey in some village, what looks like the Falcon coming out of hyperspace near a desert planet (Tatooine? Jakku? That one from the Mandalorian?) some more of the Imperial Star Destroyer battle,some more shots of the scene with what looks like the Vader suit wreckage in the white room, and some context to that EMPIRE photo of Kylo in the hanger, showing Rey jumping from the hanger to the Falcon.

There's also a dolby poster showing a lone X-wing going up against the Star Destroyer fleet. Curiously they have a red trim on the sides, evocative of the prequel destroyers but also could be Sith.
    The X-Wing is Poe's, BTW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The X-Wing is Poe's, BTW.
    The guy does love to take on Star Destroyer fleets by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The guy does love to take on Star Destroyer fleets by himself.
    Something tells me that either A) the Resistance fleet is right behind him or B) these are a hidden, slave-linked fleet.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Something tells me that either A) the Resistance fleet is right behind him or B) these are a hidden, slave-linked fleet.
    Probably. I think it's a great image that sells the idea of a rebel force against overwhelming odds. But it also made me think of his plan at the beginning of TLJ, where he actually was working virtually alone.