Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And for some reason, Reload's abilities sort of remind me of another failed DC character:

Does anybody even remember him these days?
    You are a living DC encyclopedia!

I agree about Reload. Pretty lame idea.
    WHO DAT?!!

Actually, Reload needs a weapon. He can't transform anything into a weapon, he can just rewind time locally, if I understand his powers correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Actually, Reload needs a weapon. He can't transform anything into a weapon, he can just rewind time locally, if I understand his powers correctly.
    You would be correct, and now that I think about it, it's really not a lame idea but something that could be really something in certain situations. It's really his look that is lame to me.

It's not like he can rewind time for anything lengthy, but I think it's only a few seconds, or minutes.

Anyway, I like this book a lot.
    WHO DAT?!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    What was his powers exactly?
    Even though it's been a couple of months, I can recall enough to know it was implicitly shown and explained in the issue itself.

The Hunt is an Immortal who, it seems, gains power from being around blood (he wasn't shown consuming it, though, I don't think). He also has a keen sense of smell for blood and can ascertain details about people from their blood, up to their entire histories depending on proximity. This was shown as he was/as he slayed a rival immortal who apparently got "burned" by the words of The Immortal Man (who, I recall, seemed to suffer from immortality sans youth). The Hunt also seemed to show some passing regret, or at least passing sympathy/empathy, towards the Immortal he slew. It was passing, though, since he's with one of the "evil" Immortal Houses, and works under the woman who attacks Caden at the end of the issue.

I know this is a late reply, but I wanted to try and give you something better than MajorHoy's. The book is more nuanced than he implies. I hope it was helpful to you.

So, the second issue is out, and I find it a lot better than the first, because it's starting expanding on the Immortal's backgrounds, and all. While the art was a little messy at time, I still liked it a lot. There may be too much narration bubbles however. But overall, great issue. reload's powers are sick, and I can't see to understand why Caden is so important.
    I must say however ta I think that Tynion should town down a bit the narrator cases, especially here in the last preview, but otherwise, the voices of the characters seems great and I like the little tidbits showing us Immortals may think, such as Ghost Fist saying that he is 126 years young, and not old.
    While I still need to read the issues past the 1st, the narration bubbles were one of the things I loved about that first issue that got me hooked, because it reminded me of an epic adventure story, which I love, and really got me hyped and in the mood to see things unveil. It's fitting for the ambiance the story is trying to build.

It's one of the reasons why Caden hooked me (I'm happy that the preview for issue #1 happened at the end, and the majority of the issue was spent setting up Caden as a viewpoint and some of the world building). I recall really savoring things because of the style, and I intend to re-read #1 when I finally find time to read the following issues.

So I've read the third issue, and it was really cool ! Spoilers ahead.

spoilers:
    We learn a bit more about all the main characters and why they were chosen but also the Hunt and why he and Reloard are now enemies when they were apparently friends before. Immortal Man finally steps in to talk with Caden and while we don't know yet why he is so important to him, we stand at the brink of those revelations. We also learn that Kill is several centuries old, having fought in the Hundred Years War.

Infinite Woman is also fleshed out, and she turns out to be mostly DCAu Vandal Savage : she thinks that for humans to keep evolving and progressing, they need war, and is afraid that if a massive one doesn't happen now, the next one -the natural one in her eyes, I guess- would kill all mortals. It's cliché, sure, but I actually like the idea behind it, she is a little bit less of a uni-dimensional character in my eyes now. Oviously, she is being misled by the BWL, but after the events of Metal she isn't totally in the wrong in her vision. Speaking of the BWL...

That one is as creepy as ever. I don't know what he wants to create with the blood of the Immortals he has killed but it can't be good at all. I wonder what Tynion has in mind, it seems to involve quite a lot of magic, or so it seemed to me, so perhaps it'll tie in into his JLD book? In any case, the issue end with the Immortal Men in a really bad situation, so I Wonder what'll happen next.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Default Immortal Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    You are a living DC encyclopedia!

I agree about Reload. Pretty lame idea.
    The heck with Reload just bring this guy back in honor of Wein. And the woman too.

THE IMMORTAL MEN #6
    •art and cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
    •written by JAMES TYNION IV
    •The Immortal Men are supposed to be a secret world-saving organization. But that cat will be out of the bag if they can’t stop the Infinite Woman and her brood of Bloodless soldiers, commanded by the Kill! And as the fight spills out into the greater DC Universe, which classic DC hero will rise to seek the answer to the unanswerable question: Who are the Immortal Men? (Of course, being dead is a lot worse than going public.)
    •ON SALE 09.12.18
    •$2.99 US | 32 PAGES
    •FC | RATED T

I can't post the cover from work, but it's gorgeous, if the insides are as good, the art itself will be Worth the price of the issue !

Issue 4 is out, and we got some reveal :

spoilers:

The Immortal Man and the other leaders of the House of Immortals are all siblings, and were changed by the same meteor than Vandal Savage, all from the Bear Clan
    Timber's story is behind a legend about a giant with a blue axe among the Menominee, which rose when she felled hundred of trees to from a colonizer's concession built on her tribe's lands
    Caden can learn moves.fighting styles if he touchs someone with such knowledge who thinks about it at that moment
    The Immortal Man was a deadly fighter, but he got killed by his sister, who planted a sword in his back, made of the blood of his dead students; he probably tried to transfer his nature/knowledge to Caden but it isn't sure that he succeeded
    end of spoilers

Overall, I liked this issue and the art was simply wonderful.

Fantastic Member

Sadly, the series will end with issue 6. https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...85335199916033

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Sadly, the series will end with issue 6. https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...85335199916033
    Yep. That is indeed a bummer. Had feeling, but still.

Issue 5 was pretty good. Even though this series is ending, I really hope some of these characters are used in other areas of the DCU. Ghost Fist is super cool and I’ve really started to like Timber. Having her be the actual Paul Bunyan is kinda clever. Plus it’s also a call back to Apache Chief.
    Caden’s Immortal Man look is great. DC (and comics in general) really lacks Asian superheroes. Would be nice if they gave him a prominent role in the DCU.