Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Do you think it's possible ? I mean, it would be a very huge twist, especially since we have the next two solicits and all... but I guess they could be somewhat misleading...
    I don't remember what the solicits say, other than a vague recollection that the two dead members (trying to avoid too many spoilers here) are mentioned.

Is it possible? I dunno, maybe? Solicits either outright lie or are misleading or are flat-ass wrong all the time. And if the plan was to keep these guys dead because "unexpected" then mentioning them in the solicits would help maintain the surprise.

But do I find it likely they'll stay dead? No. Not at all. It'd just be a really fun twist if they did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well so far the solciits are :

"Ruthless Thanagarian dictator Onimarr Synn arrives on Earth with his army to pick the planet apart in search of the vibro-active Nth Metal. The Unexpected will have to collect themselves after the cataclysmic events of the first issue, discover their true connection to the Dark Multiverse and travel across the DC Universe to stop Synn’s rampage" for Issue #2

And

"Thanagarian demon Onimar Synn stands prepared to wipe out everyone on Earth to get his claws on the vibroactive Nth metal accidentally created by Neon the Unknown and the Unexpected. Is this new version of Nth metal the most powerful weapon in the galaxy? Or is it the fuel to bring about a new evolution and propel mankind into the future? Plus, get ready for a showdown of Jurassic proportions, as Synn locks horns with a rampaging Brontadon in Monster Valley!" for Issue #3

Having those two characters stay dead would sure something to set this series apart from even the other NAoH books however, and while one of them had a really cool look, I could be happy with the survivors having to find new members if it was done well
    Last edited by Korath; 06-10-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Okay, so they're not directly mentioned......maybe, just maybe, they're really dead. I doubt it, but I feel like the odds improved a little bit.

I'll be honest, even if something isn't the best move or the most well done, if I don't see it coming I'll still be happy. If this title can surprise me on a even semi-regular basis, it'll be a success in my book. I've become one of those grumpy old fans with the "seen it all before" attitude, and when I get blind-sided, I really enjoy it.

And of the two who died......I could see one of them (the one with the stronger visual) returning in a new host body, since (as I understand it) it's the item they carry that bestows the powers and personality. So that death would still "sorta" stick, even if a new host is found next issue. And the other guy.....he almost strikes me as canon fodder anyway. His visual isn't as intricate or interesting as the others, he didn't do very much in this issue......I could believe he was here just so he could die and surprise us all, and the "real" fourth member will be taking his place in the next issue or two.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Well, the Dark Multiverse is the result of fears and hopes and nightmares and dreams from the Normal Multiverse. I guess that somehow, this Version of the Dragon endured because of it.
    My theory is that's the newly resurrected Forger of Dark multiverse, the transformed Hawkman was shaped exactly like him by Barbatos as a mockery to his old master.

Some art for the Unexpected :

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It was a good issue but easier to digest on a second read. The team dynamic has potential even if the first issue was a bit thin.

I wanted them to team up with Hawkman down the road.
    I think the Underlord of Thanagar and the presence of exploding nth metal pretty much guarantees that. Just sayin '.

Mighty Member

A new Crisis is brewing, and they are the first line of defense... not exactly what you expected right ?

In the aftermath of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, the DC Universe has been forever changed as new heroes are called out of the shadows. Amid this all is Janet Fals...Firebrand! Once a paramedic dedicated to saving lives, she must now start a fight once every 24 hours to feed the Conflict Engine that’s replaced her heart. But Janet’s heart isn’t just a curse—it’s a beacon, drawing out both the mysterious Neon the Unknown and the seductive, malevolent Bad Samaritan. One of them wants to cut out her heart, the other wants to save it—but neither of them knows the true danger hidden within that will kick off a superhero manhunt ranging from Thanagar to the deepest heart of the Dark Multiverse!

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-...e-unexpected-1
    Thanks Korath. Awesome first issue. Remember characters that die in comics stay dead. It's the lone hold over from the Comics Code. Didn't you guys know that?

Some art for the Unexpected :

Was I the only one who saw that and thought "Macho Man Savage?"

Finally got around to reading issue 1. I wasn’t going to pick this book up but I’m glad I did. Very pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed it from start to finish. Sook designed some cool looking characters. I really hope the Viking Judge somehow gets resurrected. DC doesn’t have a lot of characters based in Norse mythology/culture. Same with the Bad Samaritan. His design reminded me of something out of Preacher or another Vertigo series. Would love to see him return somehow. Also very cool to get a reference to Mandrake.

As far as The Defenders comparison, I’d say Firebrand definitely has some elements of The Hulk. Fueled by anger and trying to hide the rage within while in her civilian guise.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-13-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Well I never read the Defenders ? What was the "goal/mandate" of the team and who were the memebrs exactly ?

Well I never read the Defenders ? What was the "goal/mandate" of the team and who were the memebrs exactly ?
    I guess they were a more proactive Avengers. They were the “outsiders” of Marvel heroes.

Original members were Hulk, Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, and Namor. Valkyrie and Luke Cage were two of the regular members later on.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-13-2018 at 11:24 PM.

So, issue 4 may be confirming that issue 1's big twist is sticking, after all. We shall see, i guess. Anyway, here's the solicit :

THE UNEXPECTED #4
    •GUEST STARRING THE HUNTRESS!
    •art by CARY NORD and WADE VON GRAWBADGER
    •written by STEVE ORLANDO
    •cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    •The Unexpected race to save Gotham City from exposure to the toxic Nth metal—and you don’t come to Gotham without meeting the Bat-Family! But who else besides Batman knows enough about the Dark Multiverse and the poisonous Nth metal to be of help? Enter the Huntress! And it all wraps up in Castle Frankenstein!
    •ON SALE 09.15.18
    •$2.99 US | 32 PAGES
    •FC | RATED T+

Invincible Member

There wasn't an in universe goal per se, but they were kind of a loose collection of heroes ( many of whom didn't fit into the Avengers) and would usually fight demons, other worldly threats, and off beat villains.

The original line up was Dr Strange, The Hulk, and the Submariner. The Silver Surfer would guest star and later Valkyrie joined. After that other B and C-List heroes drifted in and out.