Page 67 of 88 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1313
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    LOL, that is very white artwork. And I love it because it 100% fits the Namor I had always envisioned for decades of knowing the character. To me it makes sense, it is the main character from a very white creator from a very white era. A Namor MCKENZIE that started as a red head is a VERY WHITE character IMO. I'm sorry if I'm dragging the elephant in the room by the hairs but it has to be discussed. Namor has been wishlisted mixed by many because he one time in his first appearances said that he had a war against the white men. Specially on those times, white men equaled civilization for people in Europe and North America and I think that is what Bill Everett meant, that Namor was fighting the civilized world of the surface and not a declaration of the character as a POC fighting against the white race as it wants to be interpreted by some today.

People don't realize that these race swaps into POC don't work ever as good as when the character is undoubtedly created as a POC. Shang Chi is a good example, Black Panther is another and Miles Morales and Amadeus Cho are good more recent examples. Will I boycott a POC Namor? Hell no, but the part of me that wants to see the character that Bill Everett, John Buscema, Gene Colan and so many of the artists of my era drew will be still waiting for its live action interpretation. Like Thesa Thompson is beautiful and sexy and awesome as the Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok but she is not the same tall blonde character with the white tresses I read about in the Defenders of my youth.
    You have said the word "white" several times in your post, I think we get the point that you believe Namor is a white character even though other people, such as myself, have other opinions and thoughts. Every fan has their own interpretation of Namor, and all of my past posts/metas/replies on this subject matter have been backed up with in canon references by the creator himself and other creators. Everett may have been a white man but that doesn't mean Namor is a white character, Namor's father Leonard is white we all know that, but Namor is mixed race, he is biracial, his mother is never stated to be a white/European woman because she isn't. Fen is literally a made up race that is ambiguous and not tied to any surface human race however I have made a case for and shown how coding works with the characters Everett has created.

Namor is Othered, Othering a character is an allegory for for them being Outside the "norm" which at the time is "straight white male", Namor's otherness comes in the form of his mother's side being non human, and since we literally do not have Atlanteans ready to cast, nor fish men, then we can find the references that were directly written into his character for what Namor could represent, such as others have pointed out "Native American or Indigenous" character with a white father. Othering is how a lot of writers/creators showcase People of Color in fiction, oftentimes this falls to these characters being the alien, or the strange creature.

Namor being showcased as a marginalized person of color, his people being shown harmed by the actions of outsiders aka in this case white men, is not too far fetched because it was literally written by Everett and spoken about not once but several times within the early comics, nor is it wrong for fans to theorize and speculate on what Namor and his people could represent. If you want your opinion then that's your choice.

So there isn't any race swapping going on here because Namor is not white, he may have been drawn with light skin or is "white passing" but not every person who has light or white skin is a white person. And personally I don't understand why it's an issue if Tenoch (who is rumored to play Namor) is Namor. I mean look at Aquaman, the character and most DC Atlanteans are literally white people, Arthur literally has blond hair and blue eyes, the whitest white character I have ever seen and yet he was played by Jason Momoa because in the end the movies are a different kettle of fish than the comics and trying to get all worked up over a character being played by an actor of color makes no sense. Everyone LOVED Momoa's Aquaman, no one cared he wasn't played by a white actor. It makes more sense that Namor is played by a POC than a white actor, not to mention the literal implication of what would happen and how non Namor fans would perceive this character if Namor was played by a white actor:

The enemy of Wakanda a white man who destroys their country? That's not a great narrative for Namor at all, in fact that's literally the opposite of who Namor is, and I am not happy he is going to be in Black Panther's movies, we already have comic fans call Namor a racist for drowning Wakanda while under the Phoenix's influence so I'm sorry to point this out very bluntly but that is exactly what would happen in the greater Marvel/MCU fandom if Namor was played by a white actor.

I'm sorry but when was Namor ever called Namor McKenzie in the early days? That was tacked on much later, and he doesn't even acknowledge his father's surname in his homeland/underwater because it means nothing to them down there, he is Namor Fen-Son. Fen, his mother is far more important of a character than Leonard McKenzie will ever be because Fen literally raised him on her own and shaped the kind of man he would be and I personally get sick of people putting any emphasis on Leonard's role when the character barely has 20 comic appearances in over 80 years. Namor's story is not about his father, it's about him being a mixed race child and heir to the throne along with many other layers.

Namor can be personified as a force of nature/the ocean, he can be the bogeyman all humans fear, he can be a hero, villain, anti-hero, his character is so versatile and trying to limit him to just one view because he was drawn with white skin makes no damn sense to me, and not to mention over the years he has been drawn with darker skin.

I believe every person should have their own interpretation of the character as we all approach things differently.

I made mention of Atlantis/Atlanteans being reimagined as a type of Mayan civilization way back in 2019ish, I am very interested to see how this would play out in the movies and will be supporting Tenoch as Namor. Namor's character is ignored if not butchered by Marvel most of the time, so I am hoping that a good showing in a movie will help boost comic appearances which honestly when it comes down to it, that is all I care about, sure the cartoons and movies are nice but I am here for comic Namor before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I know what you mean. For example, I loved the character we got from Tessa Thompson and she was definitely a Valkyrie of Asgard. But for me, she was not The Valkyrie of the Defenders! And we may yet see a Barbara Norriss/Brunhilde Valkyrie on screen.

For Namor I see it as you do with the statement. Most Atlanteans are blue so he meant it to mean he was fighting the surface Earthers, not the white race itself. For the movie it is different because the movie makers will have to choose a specific Namor look (as there is only one of him vs the Valkyrior). Namor's Father most presumably has a Northern European surname, and Namor could indeed have Red hair on screen as a youth which darkens with age (as his comic version did).
    Once again, Red Hair is another form of Othering within fiction, it shows Namor as outside the "normal" and something not quite human. Not to mention that the Valkyrie in the Thor movies was never said to be the comic Valkyrie, only that she was A Valkyrie, not THE Valkyrie.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So, of course, Aquaman (and his sidekick / legacy) is going to have a new ongoing next year.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...aquamen-comic/

Seriously??? So they are going to lift entirely the plot for Namor's Revolution 2007 mini-series? Can't wait for the "secret" reveal to be Aquaman's previously unknown kid. DC just LOVES Namor, don't they? I just wish Marvel loved Namor a tenth as much.
    I was LITERALLY about to post this, I just ranted about it in another place, and not to mention it's coming out on 2/22/2022 Namor's fictional birthday where is he turning 100. *sigh* Marvel needs to step up their game, all of Namor's stuff is used by DC and it's so obvious but Marvel does nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The topic of Namor's ethnic makeup and identity is always an interesting one, and due to the nature of the character, it's integral to understanding Namor on a deeper level. That being said, the subject can easily devolve into unnecessarily heated arguments, which make people less willing to explore it.

Namor is a mixed race character. His father was a European, a "white" man. His mother, an Atlantean. What Atlantean means is, in and of itself, up for debate. On top of this, he was born different from both, a unique hybrid (which later was retconned into being a mutant) and wholly different from both of his parent's lineages. Namor is not supposed to just look like an Atlantean with European features, nor a European with Atlantean features, he was meant to look, for lack of a better term: weird. He doesn't look like anyone. Which was kind of the point. He does not fit in anywhere.

The Atlanteans themselves cause more confusion with this issue than not. Are they the strange froglike "sub-mariners" that, in some aspect, were to represent "native" or "aboriginal" peoples coming into contact with Western Civilization, or "white" people? In this sense, playing up the "Cowboys vs Indians" trope with the "sub-mariner" tribe being accosted, or even decimated, by an either aggressive or ignorantly destructive "white man". In these early Golden Age stories, it's certainly meant to evoke this familiar idea of the "Cowboys vs Indians" story, with Namor being the adopted outsider for the reader to follow into their world, yet somehow still represent them. Namor is essentially a white adopted or mixed child born into an "Indian" tribe meant to be a window into a foreign culture. His mother being the daughter of the tribal elder or "Chief", herself an "Indian Princess". Namor, seeing their mistreatment, can then rage against his "original" people, Western or "white men" and become a mirror of sorts, showing them their own faults and ignorance.

Where this becomes interesting, and messy, is when you then take those ideas and lay the myth of Atlantis and Atlanteans over top of it. The Atlantis story is essentially the direct opposite of idea of aboriginal peoples and their contact with Western Civilization. Atlantis is wrapped up in the very center and origins of Western Civilization itself. Atlantis in myth is an ancient civilization that is either Mediterranean in origin, or at least related enough that the ancient Greeks had knowledge of them. Atlantis in the Marvel Universe, is one of the most ancient and advanced societies in human history. Not only in pre-Cataclysm times, but after the "fall" the sea-faring Atlantis once again becomes one of the most spectacular and advanced civilizations on earth. The fish or froglike "Sub-Mariners" transform into the beautiful blue-skinned descendants of classical antiquity. They live in a wondrous undersea kingdom, oozing with ancient Roman influence and stereotypes. A powerful and advanced people with undersea equivalents of cars and planes, educated people and a powerful dynastic royalty.

Not only does this civilization contrast directly with the Golden Age "Sub-Mariners", it contrasts even with the Western Powers of the 20th century. It's never clear how the Atlanteans, being this marvel of civilization, could be threatened by clunky human technology of the early 20th century. Not only are they no longer representative of some oppressed and overwhelmed aboriginal people, it makes no sense why they didn't just rise from the sea to defend themselves with their impressive flying fighter ships and advanced technology to destroy any human aggression.

Marvel has never been able to come to terms with all these conflicting ideas, other than to outright ignore them.

So yes, Namor is a mixed race character. This gets us to the tiresome debate of his ethnicity and what people feel he is, isn't or should represent. While Namor superficially looks like the classic Western "white" hero, it's only skin deep. He is unquestionably half European, but that pesky other half, that's where is issue raised in my earlier comments come up. People may want Namor to represent or feel he is "coded" to be one thing or another, which is fine, he's a fictional character, but I'm usually more interested in what his background is in-universe. That's where the mess of the Atlanteans rears it's head. Marvel is unable or unwilling to put any creative thought into the Sub-Mariner mythos, so we may never know. As for the dreaded "asian vs white" debate, it's usually, at it's core, about how people want to see Namor played in media. Whatever you feel Namor might represent or stand-in for, in-universe there is nothing to suggest he has any asian ancestry whatsoever. Making arguments based on Namor's eye-shape is very strange to me, as if people all over the world, in every ethnicity, don't also have individuals with almond shaped eyes. Besides stereotyping his eye shape, there isn't a whole lot to go on in that aspect aside from some cringeworthy Golden Age panels. The Golden Age also has the Atlanteans as frog people, so you have to consider what we're dealing with here.

As I said earlier, in my opinion, Namor isn't supposed to look like anyone. At quick glance he may look European, but a longer look gets you a being with very strange and unique features that make him stand out from humanity and his own people. It's not just his skin. He is meant to look strange and be estranged. The ultimate outsider.

I'm convinced the actual design of Namor was influenced by earlier art of sprites, faeries and elves. Non-human supernatural beings, not of human ethnicities. There are many of these type of beings in early 20th and late 19th century illustrations that look surprisingly like Namor. But that's a whole other bag of cats.

Phew, I need a nap.
    Very well thought out post, and I agree with a lot of it, just looking at how many different artists have drawn Namor over the years one would not believe it was even the same character due to how so many people perceive him differently in their minds. Once again, I pointed out the Asian ancestory theory/looks has panels alluding to Atlaneans having Asian like culture/references by Namorita in New Warriors once, and other panels, however as I stated many times before Namor doesn't need to be played by an Asian actor, a Native or Inuit actor would be my some of my other choices, I was merely pointed out in canon references that a fan can read Namor's comics and come away with the theory that Namor is not a white man (even if he is half white). That was my whole point when this subject came up before.

However I much prefer when Namor is shown as some otherworldly being who has a foot in the human world but isn't wholly human. Perhaps that is why Sub-Mariner: The Depths is one of my all time favorite Namor interpretations.

For Namor Bingo 2021 Fan Event, (trying to get this finished before the end of the year!) The prompt was "Three" so I made a little edit:

Namor & his three lost loves; Lady Dorma, Betty Dean, Marrina Smallwood + A Softer World Quotes

I commissioned this Super Villain Team Up Pin Set of Namor & Doom, and the artist is selling it on their site so if you would like some it's being sold for a very good price $9 each: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Optyck?ref=profile_header

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

Once again, Red Hair is another form of Othering within fiction, it shows Namor as outside the "normal" and something not quite human. Not to mention that the Valkyrie in the Thor movies was never said to be the comic Valkyrie, only that she was A Valkyrie, not THE Valkyrie.
    Agreed. And while any of the Valkyrior could have appeared, as Tessa's Valkyrie did, I wanted to see the comics Valkyrie.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Mighty Member

You have said the word "white" several times in your post, I think we get the point that you believe Namor is a white character even though other people, such as myself, have other opinions and thoughts.
    Sure, I have my opinion, as you have yours. And I don't think Namor is white of course. I am not new to the character and you know that. I'm just stating Namor should "look" white as "white passing" is essential to who he is.

Every fan has their own interpretation of Namor, and all of my past posts/metas/replies on this subject matter have been backed up with in canon references by the creator himself and other creators. Everett may have been a white man but that doesn't mean Namor is a white character, Namor's father Leonard is white we all know that, but Namor is mixed race, he is biracial, his mother is never stated to be a white/European woman because she isn't. Fen is literally a made up race that is ambiguous and not tied to any surface human race however I have made a case for and shown how coding works with the characters Everett has created.
    Fen is chosen to contact McKenzie because of how much she looked like the surface men, she was portrayed with white skin on her first appearances, only her eyes and ears look alien. So even Fen is known to have had white ancestry heavily implied by Everett in the golden age so Namor should look more European as his mother was meant to look "white passing" too.

Namor is Othered, Othering a character is an allegory for for them being Outside the "norm" which at the time is "straight white male", Namor's otherness comes in the form of his mother's side being non human, and since we literally do not have Atlanteans ready to cast, nor fish men, then we can find the references that were directly written into his character for what Namor could represent, such as others have pointed out "Native American or Indigenous" character with a white father. Othering is how a lot of writers/creators showcase People of Color in fiction, oftentimes this falls to these characters being the alien, or the strange creature.

Namor being showcased as a marginalized person of color, his people being shown harmed by the actions of outsiders aka in this case white men, is not too far fetched because it was literally written by Everett and spoken about not once but several times within the early comics, nor is it wrong for fans to theorize and speculate on what Namor and his people could represent. If you want your opinion then that's your choice.
    I'm not against any of that. Of course all that can be implied in the narrative but the character of Namor looking "white passing" or Caucasian is essential to who Namor as a character is to me. A character that looks like your avatar for example and most of the images you post is not "white passing" is very much straight POC. If you want to change "white passing" to "human passing" so it includes all the races then that is not "white passing". Namor was never a straight POC character like Black Panther, Shang-Chi, Luke Cage, etc. His ancestral connection to the Caucasian race as protagonists of World War 2 was essential in his origin and essence.

So there isn't any race swapping going on here because Namor is not white, he may have been drawn with light skin or is "white passing" but not every person who has light or white skin is a white person. And personally I don't understand why it's an issue if Tenoch (who is rumored to play Namor) is Namor. I mean look at Aquaman, the character and most DC Atlanteans are literally white people, Arthur literally has blond hair and blue eyes, the whitest white character I have ever seen and yet he was played by Jason Momoa because in the end the movies are a different kettle of fish than the comics and trying to get all worked up over a character being played by an actor of color makes no sense. Everyone LOVED Momoa's Aquaman, no one cared he wasn't played by a white actor. It makes more sense that Namor is played by a POC than a white actor, not to mention the literal implication of what would happen and how non Namor fans would perceive this character if Namor was played by a white actor:

The enemy of Wakanda a white man who destroys their country? That's not a great narrative for Namor at all, in fact that's literally the opposite of who Namor is, and I am not happy he is going to be in Black Panther's movies, we already have comic fans call Namor a racist for drowning Wakanda while under the Phoenix's influence so I'm sorry to point this out very bluntly but that is exactly what would happen in the greater Marvel/MCU fandom if Namor was played by a white actor.
    At least we agree that Namor in Black Panther is not the best way to introduce the character. I never said I was opposed to Tenoch playing Namor, I may even love his portrayal of the character if there are enough elements of what makes Namor cool in his portrayal. His Namor will lack the "white passing" that defined the character to me because Namor always looked caucasian but I will support the actor and be excited that a Namor is finally put on the big screen. But there is indeed race swap when you have a character that looks like Namor in the comics and cast an actor that doesn't looks anything like him, its almost like an alternate reality character.

I'm sorry but when was Namor ever called Namor McKenzie in the early days? That was tacked on much later, and he doesn't even acknowledge his father's surname in his homeland/underwater because it means nothing to them down there, he is Namor Fen-Son. Fen, his mother is far more important of a character than Leonard McKenzie will ever be because Fen literally raised him on her own and shaped the kind of man he would be and I personally get sick of people putting any emphasis on Leonard's role when the character barely has 20 comic appearances in over 80 years. Namor's story is not about his father, it's about him being a mixed race child and heir to the throne along with many other layers.

Namor can be personified as a force of nature/the ocean, he can be the bogeyman all humans fear, he can be a hero, villain, anti-hero, his character is so versatile and trying to limit him to just one view because he was drawn with white skin makes no damn sense to me, and not to mention over the years he has been drawn with darker skin.

I believe every person should have their own interpretation of the character as we all approach things differently.
    Of course every person should have their own interpretation. To me Namor as a WW2 hero of the occidental world makes his father a very important figure even though not present in his upbringing. That is why his meeting with the occidental world is so chaotic. He is in a journey to discover his other cultural half that he deems evil out of his ignorance until he starts befriending some of them. And Fen seemed cold, calculating and plain villainous at times on many of Everett's stories while McKenzie seemed to be always a step behind. Fen raised Namor on her own because she decided so, while Namor's father was robbed of the opportunity of being part of his son's life. Stan Lee changed that story to a more romantic stark crossed lovers.

But all that story is probably going to be set aside in the MCU or probably changed and the McKenzie name will not even be used.

I made mention of Atlantis/Atlanteans being reimagined as a type of Mayan civilization way back in 2019ish, I am very interested to see how this would play out in the movies and will be supporting Tenoch as Namor. Namor's character is ignored if not butchered by Marvel most of the time, so I am hoping that a good showing in a movie will help boost comic appearances which honestly when it comes down to it, that is all I care about, sure the cartoons and movies are nice but I am here for comic Namor before anything else.
    And I said I will support Tenoch too if he indeed was cast as Namor.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 11-18-2021 at 07:35 AM.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

What a great post! Thanks for writing it.

Of course, the othering of Namor and that basis as he intersects with the surface race, informs so many aspects.
    I've long believed that Sue, like Betty before her and perhaps Dianne Arliss and others afterwards (and Sue as default more or less) is more about the idea that as half human, why aren't human women also available to him? Because he is always 'other'.
    These dialogs are about "us" and our encounter with "the other" in certain ways.

So it is meant to be that intersectionality in a romantic way. Who is really there for Namor, that doesn't end up not so well? He is a Byronic type person, but he also exudes Valentino -esque qualitiies, that whole exotic thing.

So it would be better if his MCU looks were exotic to some degree.
    The best thing in my mind would be if the cgi would be used to give the Namor a light blue cast to his skin, to indicate his biracial nature.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Very well thought out post, and I agree with a lot of it, just looking at how many different artists have drawn Namor over the years one would not believe it was even the same character due to how so many people perceive him differently in their minds. Once again, I pointed out the Asian ancestory theory/looks has panels alluding to Atlaneans having Asian like culture/references by Namorita in New Warriors once, and other panels, however as I stated many times before Namor doesn't need to be played by an Asian actor, a Native or Inuit actor would be my some of my other choices, I was merely pointed out in canon references that a fan can read Namor's comics and come away with the theory that Namor is not a white man (even if he is half white). That was my whole point when this subject came up before.

However I much prefer when Namor is shown as some otherworldly being who has a foot in the human world but isn't wholly human. Perhaps that is why Sub-Mariner: The Depths is one of my all time favorite Namor interpretations.
    I know the New Warriors panel you're referencing, but I mean.. it's New Warriors, it's not even in a Namor book and it was mentioned once and never again. Nothing anywhere else, on panel or even implied, has any suggestion of asian influence. Plus it just doesn't make any sense, Atlantis, both the original island and the undersea kingdom couldn't possibly be further away from asian civilizations. What would make more sense to me, was if Lemuria had asian influences, being in the pacific, both the ancient island and undersea kingdom.

As for being portrayed in media, for the most part I don't care, I know I won't like whoever they choose. Lol. Namor to me is too specific and unique looking that Hollywood just won't get it.

That being said lol, this is the only person I've come across that has the look I see in my head for Namor. (At least a young Namor, he's obviously too young and slim currently.) Is a model named Aaron Bernards (who himself is biracial)

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Sure, I have my opinion, as you have yours. And I don't think Namor is white of course. I am not new to the character and you know that. I'm just stating Namor should "look" white as "white passing" is essential to who he is.

Fen is chosen to contact McKenzie because of how much she looked like the surface men, she was portrayed with white skin on her first appearances, only her eyes and ears look alien. So even Fen is known to have had white ancestry heavily implied by Everett in the golden age so Namor should look more European as his mother was meant to look "white passing" too.

I'm not against any of that. Of course all that can be implied in the narrative but the character of Namor looking "white passing" or Caucasian is essential to who Namor as a character is to me. A character that looks like your avatar for example and most of the images you post is not "white passing" is very much straight POC. If you want to change "white passing" to "human passing" so it includes all the races then that is not "white passing". Namor was never a straight POC character like Black Panther, Shang-Chi, Luke Cage, etc. His ancestral connection to the Caucasian race as protagonists of World War 2 was essential in his origin and essence.

At least we agree that Namor in Black Panther is not the best way to introduce the character. I never said I was opposed to Tenoch playing Namor, I may even love his portrayal of the character if there are enough elements of what makes Namor cool in his portrayal. His Namor will lack the "white passing" that defined the character to me because Namor always looked caucasian but I will support the actor and be excited that a Namor is finally put on the big screen. But there is indeed race swap when you have a character that looks like Namor in the comics and cast an actor that doesn't looks anything like him, its almost like an alternate reality character.

Of course every person should have their own interpretation. To me Namor as a WW2 hero of the occidental world makes his father a very important figure even though not present in his upbringing. That is why his meeting with the occidental world is so chaotic. He is in a journey to discover his other cultural half that he deems evil out of his ignorance until he starts befriending some of them. And Fen seemed cold, calculating and plain villainous at times on many of Everett's stories while McKenzie seemed to be always a step behind. Fen raised Namor on her own because she decided so, while Namor's father was robbed of the opportunity of being part of his son's life. Stan Lee changed that story to a more romantic stark crossed lovers.

But all that story is probably going to be set aside in the MCU or probably changed and the McKenzie name will not even be used.

And I said I will support Tenoch too if he indeed was cast as Namor.
    My way of looking at the "Fen looks like a white woman" is that the old Atlanteans literally looked like fish people and Fen bore a passing resemblance to humans, we can't count on the colors of that age because we all know the printing was wonky there is even that article about it. Fen is never stated to be a european/white woman ever because she isn't, she isn't even human, she is of a different fictional made up race and if we were to choose how she looked as a human then it would be different for everyone, not to mention Fen had no clue (in later interpretations not counting the golden age stories) that Leo was alive so she didn't choose to withhold Namor from seeing/knowing his father.

As before Thor-El, we have to agree to disagree, we simply are not going to convince each other of accepting our fan theories/ideals. I am not here to convince you or anyone else of my own personal interpretation of the character, I just state my thoughts and if you or others dislike it then that is fine since each fan comes from a different point of view.

I do not wish to turn this forum into some back and forth ranting, nor make others uncomfortable with my comments and I was not the one who reopened this topic but if the topic comes up again then I will continue to stand by my personal comments however others are free to ignore them as they wish.

As for my avatar and other artwork I create or commission, it's fanwork, it can be however the fan wants it to be, I don't get all upset when I see Namor with white/pale skin in fanwork. However I decide to have Namor drawn/interpreted as, is my own personal choice and you can of course make your own or enjoy other works. Just because I choose to portray Namor in fan work as a man of color/looking more asian/polynesian/etc. doesn't mean I am wrong for doing so since this is fan created content.

I know the New Warriors panel you're referencing, but I mean.. it's New Warriors, it's not even in a Namor book and it was mentioned once and never again. Nothing anywhere else, on panel or even implied, has any suggestion of asian influence. Plus it just doesn't make any sense, Atlantis, both the original island and the undersea kingdom couldn't possibly be further away from asian civilizations. What would make more sense to me, was if Lemuria had asian influences, being in the pacific, both the ancient island and undersea kingdom.

As for being portrayed in media, for the most part I don't care, I know I won't like whoever they choose. Lol. Namor to me is too specific and unique looking that Hollywood just won't get it.
    Of course, but I just meant that the idea of an Asian Actor for Namor didn't come out of nowhere, that there was some reference in comics in general that informed that fancasting within fandom, and for the record I was not the first person to fan cast as Asian Actor for Namor, I saw many others do so before I did. Kris Anka even fan casted Hideo Muraoka for Namor in this post, the model that Anka draws inspiration from for Namor is Half Japanese/Half Brazilian.

hideo muraoka

no idea if he can act, but thats why this is comics! just gotta draw him. but this is who i sort of draw inspiration from for namor.

For my part at least (if) Tenoch as Namor will ensure we might get a serious interpretation of the character, one of my biggest fears is they turn Namor into some snarky quippy tony stark type of character which I would hate but at least I feel Tenoch would play Namor as a serious King. I've already misplaced my trust in the movies and MCU before and they failed me so horribly with the Maximoff Twins that my expectations are very low. I just hope for more Namor comics since that is the medium in which I enjoy the character the most.

That being said lol, this is the only person I've come across that has the look I see in my head for Namor. (At least a young Namor, he's obviously too young and slim currently.) Is a model named Aaron Bernards (who himself is biracial)

I have never heard of this guy but he definitely gives off young Namor vibes!

I do not wish to turn this forum into some back and forth ranting, nor make others uncomfortable with my comments and I was not the one who reopened this topic but if the topic comes up again then I will continue to stand by my personal comments however others are free to ignore them as they wish.

Of course, but I just meant that the idea of an Asian Actor for Namor didn't come out of nowhere, that there was some reference in comics in general that informed that fancasting within fandom, and for the record I was not the first person to fan cast as Asian Actor for Namor, I saw many others do so before I did. Kris Anka even fan casted Hideo Muraoka for Namor in this post, the model that Anka draws inspiration from for Namor is Half Japanese/Half Brazilian.
    I genuinely find this to be an interesting and worthwhile topic, I hope nothing I've said has been taken as hostile or made you feel you need to defend anything you've said or any opinions we may not share. This topic tends to get sticky, unnecessarily in my opinion, but unfortunately understandable. I like reading and discussing people's opinions on this topic and all topics related to Namor and his world. There simply isn't enough of that anywhere.

I genuinely find this to be an interesting and worthwhile topic, I hope nothing I've said has been taken as hostile or made you feel you need to defend anything you've said or any opinions we may not share. This topic tends to get sticky, unnecessarily in my opinion, but unfortunately understandable. I like reading and discussing people's opinions on this topic and all topics related to Namor and his world. There simply isn't enough of that anywhere.
    I do love to talk in depth about interpretations of Namor!!! However I come from a very tumblr/twitter mindset where I have had fans argue hostilely with me before and I've defended my opinions so I don't want to come off as overly hostile or make others feel that they HAVE to accept my rendition of Namor. Everyone is free to their own thoughts of course.

I personally love to go super in depth and explore/pick apart what makes character as they are and Namor is my favorite subject because I find him so interesting, just like how I loved reading your "how you would write namor/fix things" post a while back where you explained your ideas. I have my own passion project for Namor in the works for quite some time but it's my own little fanfiction that I work on from time to time exploring his character/events in his life. I am currently commissioning an art that encompasses the gist of that project with several heroes/villains that I will share here once it's finished.