Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Would you read a Mary Jane/Black Cat ongoing?

Well, the one shot is doing well enough that it trended on twitter for a bit. Any interest in this becoming an ongoing?

If it was written by Jed McKay and drawn by CF Villa and of the same quality as the one-shot? Definitely.

Considering it seems like they might not get much page-time in Zeb Wells' ASM run since Peter is going to be isolated from everybody and he and MJ might be separated, it might be a good chance to keep both of them in the public eye and tell stories with them.

We still haven't found any follow up to that redhead and white-haired girl in Spidey/Black Panther costumes in the Timeless one-shot...

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Well, the one shot is doing well enough that it trended on twitter for a bit. Any interest in this becoming an ongoing?

or just a new MJ series with Spidey in it would be enough

Extraordinary Member

No. MJ needs to stay out of the super hero side of things unless necessary like this. I would not mind the occasional (every 7-10 years) 'fling' with them.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It could be like the Betty & Veronica series from Archie Comics, but in the Marvel Universe. Make it a miniseries, though, or maybe something similar to Peter David's Symbiote Spider-Man and Maestro ongoing miniseries.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Not for me. I just don't care for either character. Sign me up for a Gwen Stacy/Silver Sable book anytime though.

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Not for me. I just don't care for either character. Sign me up for a Gwen Stacy/Silver Sable book anytime though.
    That would be a bizarre team-up, by the time Sable showed up, Gwen had been dead for a long time lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Definitely, as long as MacKay is writing. Take my money, Marvel.

That was a really good one-shot, but I don't know if there's a way to keep them working together for an extended amount of time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Nope, it's a great one shot but that novelty would run out FAST.

1)MJ being pushed into superheroics is a terrible idea and might push her over from civilian which is a big part of her character

2)The PIS in this issue was through the roof.MJ pulling that Black Cat stunt, the bat w/ shocker, Count being a movie/MJ buff etc. may fly for an issue but it's terribly convenient writing.

3)Peter will be back in the swing of things, and ASM will go back from the padding/Beyond arc so MJ at the very least would be back.

The writing is very fan-fiction-y, works well for a one off but not for an ongoing.

Also Jed's portrayal of Peter isn't smth I'm sold on(specially w/ that last Jest, which is def. just a joke but I don't have much to go on), since he would be a part directly or indirectly related to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Nope, it's a great one shot but that novelty would run out FAST.

1)MJ being pushed into superheroics is a terrible idea and might push her over from civilian which is a big part of her character

2)The PIS in this issue was through the roof.MJ pulling that Black Cat stunt, the bat w/ shocker, Count being a movie/MJ buff etc. may fly for an issue but it's terribly convenient writing.
    MJ pulling those kind of stunts only makes ASM#87's treatment of Peter's crap web swinging look even dumber too, and it's already very, very dumb.

3)Peter will be back in the swing of things, and ASM will go back from the padding/Beyond arc so MJ at the very least would be back.
    And hopefully not being written poorly by Wells lol.

The writing is very fan-fiction-y, works well for a one off but not for an ongoing.

Also Jed's portrayal of Peter isn't smth I'm sold on(specially w/ that last Jest, which is def. just a joke but I don't have much to go on), since he would be a part directly or indirectly related to this.
    Also worth pointing out how much this sidelined Felicia's own crew because of MJ's presence, an on-going could likely make them stop existing because of how much star power MJ would have.

But yeah, this kind of idea is fine in short bursts, as an on-going it'd be weird, like if ASM had Spidey staying in space teaming up with Silver Surfer for long periods of time, just weird for the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I really liked seeing MJ and Felicia together, but I don't want MJ crime fighting on the regular. Particularly since it would likely mean more Spider-Man supervillains jobbing to "regular strength woman with baseball bat." A hero is only as good as the opponents they fight, I don't want anymore classic Spider foes to end up as laughing stocks like poor ol' Shocker here.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I just want MJ and Felicia hanging out and being besties. Going to lunch, shopping, talking about life, getting in a hot tub, snuggling up on the sofa, getting a quick shower in together, you know... normal every day stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    No. MJ needs to stay out of the super hero side of things unless necessary like this. I would not mind the occasional (every 7-10 years) 'fling' with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I really liked seeing MJ and Felicia together, but I don't want MJ crime fighting on the regular. Particularly since it would likely mean more Spider-Man supervillains jobbing to "regular strength woman with baseball bat." A hero is only as good as the opponents they fight, I don't want anymore classic Spider foes to end up as laughing stocks like poor ol' Shocker here.
    I wouldn't call it Superheroics or fighting crime but I think MJ could work with Felicia in a way that plays to her strengths without going full Superhero.
    Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Which Gwen, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I think you're underestimating MJ's charisma and ingenuity .
    Seems like Wells is writing MJ out.
    The characterization felt generally on-point and true to character so I didn't feel it was that fan-faction-y.
    I mean, it's not an unreasonable joke to make...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Also worth pointing out how much this sidelined Felicia's own crew because of MJ's presence, an on-going could likely make them stop existing because of how much star power MJ would have.
    I mean, it's a one-shot, so there's only so much paneltime, but Felicia's crew were always supporting cast.
    But yeah, this kind of idea is fine in short bursts, as an on-going it'd be weird, like if ASM had Spidey staying in space teaming up with Silver Surfer for long periods of time, just weird for the characters.
    I don't think an ongoing featuring both characters would be inherently weird, it would just be a book focusing on them and their daily adventures (together).

Especially we aren't likely to see much of them in ASM moving forward.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    This, the stuff they pulled off w/ her in Amazing Mary Jane was the height of PIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I just want MJ and Felicia hanging out and being besties. Going to lunch, shopping, talking about life, getting in a hot tub, snuggling up on the sofa, getting a quick shower in together, you know... normal every day stuff.
    This, like the stuff we got in Marvel Knights.And similar to what Carlie and MJ talked about in Spencer's early issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't call it Superheroics or fighting crime but I think MJ could work with Felicia in a way that plays to her strengths without going full Superhero.
    Everything she did in the one shot is def. superheroics.Just because they play it off as a gag doesn't mean it doesn't take place

I think you're underestimating MJ's charisma and ingenuity .
    Yeah I get the gag, but still doesn't change the fact she still performed all those feats

I don't think an ongoing featuring both characters would be inherently weird, it would just be a book focusing on them and their daily adventures (together).
    Them having daily adventures is inherently weird, MJ alone having daily adventures is weird.

Especially we aren't likely to see much of them in ASM moving forward.
    That's not a good thing, but doesn't change what an ongoing would mean
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 01-27-2022 at 01:21 AM.