Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Whatever happened to the rule that Marvel actors don't do DC movies and DC actors don't do Marvel movies (at least not contemporaneously)? Is that not a thing?

While I think Cavill did a good Superman with the material he had and I would like him to continue, the more they reference that version, the longer before we get another one that they really do anything with.

As the article said, SR and MoS just did not resonate with audiences as much as hoped. Granted, they need a Superman people expect and want more than a gimmick. But this could work well if they just present him as having the personality people expect from Superman. I can understand Jordan wanting the other identity to not be Clark Kent because I think the movie audience is largely still stuck in the comedy relief goofy Clark of Donner/ Reeve in terms of expectations.

I can already cue the "Get woke, go broke" (even though it seems more like get woke, make a billion dollars) by a certain segment of the audience that needs to time travel back to the 1930s where they belong.

The idea of Jordan as Superman could work but, as with everything else, it will all be in how well they present it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Whatever happened to the rule that Marvel actors don't do DC movies and DC actors don't do Marvel movies (at least not contemporaneously)? Is that not a thing?
    Zachary Levi was in Thor: Ragnarok.

And Killmonger is dead. Short of appearing T'Challa's dreamspace if he ever goes back there, I doubt we'll be seeing him again.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Killmonger is dead. Short of appearing T'Challa's dreamspace if he ever goes back there, I doubt we'll be seeing him again.
    He could be given a prequel Disney+ series leading up to the movie. Given the Black Widow movie, it's not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not sure if that's still on the books, though I'd bet it is, at least for the lead actors. But maybe with the amount of films these studios pump out now, actors aren't as willing to limit their potential projects. Especially when you can go a few years between films.

Marvel seems to have relaxed the "one role per actor" rule at least. Ali, the guy signed up for Blade, was in Netflix's Daredevil. And even if you don't count that as the MCU, the actress who played Minn-Erva (spelling?) in Captain Marvel is also going to be an Eternal. So if Marvel got rid of that rule, perhaps they also got rid of the other one?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Cavill's played Superman 3 times already.

He was working with bad scripts but he's also a bad actor. It's time to move on.
    So it was the Bad Script that cut all of his Screen time that Derailed his Characters Story in favor of Giving Batman more of a Spotlight. That's one Bad ass Script to be able to do all that. Just snuck into the editing booth and went to hacking. Scheduled pointless re-shoots that changed the whole tone of movies and everything, Damn that meddling script.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    While I think Cavill did a good Superman with the material he had and I would like him to continue, the more they reference that version, the longer before we get another one that they really do anything with.

As the article said, SR and MoS just did not resonate with audiences as much as hoped. Granted, they need a Superman people expect and want more than a gimmick. But this could work well if they just present him as having the personality people expect from Superman. I can understand Jordan wanting the other identity to not be Clark Kent because I think the movie audience is largely still stuck in the comedy relief goofy Clark of Donner/ Reeve in terms of expectations.

I can already cue the "Get woke, go broke" (even though it seems more like get woke, make a billion dollars) by a certain segment of the audience that needs to time travel back to the 1930s where they belong.

The idea of Jordan as Superman could work but, as with everything else, it will all be in how well they present it.
    Some movies need to build and the Snyder Franchise was doing that. All I know is that each movie made more then the last and would have made much more had the studio butted that hell out. People talk about how great the Thor movies are yet I fell Asleep during the first two And still haven't seen the last cuz I gave up on Marvel around the time Disney started shitting on the X-Men franchise (Probably the only guy in the world who hasn't seen all of phase 3.).

Personally I think we as a people are too broken to truly get Superman anymore. Most people think he's a joke of a flying brick yet if you show him with any genuine human frailties that result from being a flying brick they reject him for that too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I know the Purest want Supes to give Speeches like the River Speech But in my eyes he don't got time for that cause while he's Speechifying Someone Somewhere in dying. Plus you know goddamn well Corporate Media and the Religious Right would be o his back None Stop just like BvS showed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Cavill is actually a competent actor when he’s working with the right people. He was amazing in the last mission impossible movie.
    He can be a good action star and be charming but he can't act. His acting ranges from looking bored to looking constipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    So it was the Bad Script that cut all of his Screen time that Derailed his Characters Story in favor of Giving Batman more of a Spotlight. That's one Bad ass Script to be able to do all that. Just snuck into the editing booth and went to hacking. Scheduled pointless re-shoots that changed the whole tone of movies and everything, Damn that meddling script.
    The movies had bad editing too. There was nothing good about them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    He can be a good action star and be charming but he can't act. His acting ranges from looking bored to looking constipated.
    Heh, so I'm not the only one who thought that very last bit...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I posted this on another thread over at the DC boards but it seems to me with Affleck out as Batman, they may go in another direction with the DCEU altogether. In other words, soft reboot. There's no way they're going to do a DC movie-verse without a Batman. So we may be seeing a soft reboot in either WW84 like predicted or somewhere soon down the line. Which would be the perfect opportunity to ditch Cavill. I don't think they know what they want to do next. But my guess is, either a soft reboot or slowly phasing out the DCEU after a couple of sequels to hits like Aquaman and WW.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I posted this on another thread over at the DC boards but it seems to me with Affleck out as Batman, they may go in another direction with the DCEU altogether. In other words, soft reboot. There's no way they're going to do a DC movie-verse without a Batman. So we may be seeing a soft reboot in either WW84 like predicted or somewhere soon down the line. Which would be the perfect opportunity to ditch Cavill. I don't think they know what they want to do next. But my guess is, either a soft reboot or slowly phasing out the DCEU after a couple of sequels to hits like Aquaman and WW.
    I doubt they’d phase out Gadot and Maoma and start over again with reboots so soon for all the JL. More likely they’d just bring the new Batman and Superman together with the successful members of the previous DCEU. I can’t believe Flash hasn’t been recast though, Ezra is in no way a big star and the last FB flopped. What do they see in him?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I doubt they’d phase out Gadot and Maoma and start over again with reboots so soon for all the JL. More likely they’d just bring the new Batman and Superman together with the successful members of the previous DCEU. I can’t believe Flash hasn’t been recast though, Ezra is in no way a big star and the last FB flopped. What do they see in him?
    Dance with who brung ya, I guess. If they are going to consider a soft reboot, we may get that Flashpoint movie after all. So they may have a reason to keep him around. At least until then.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They don't want to show weakness.