Page 47 of 222 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Wait, so is Hal on a planet of vampires or a planet of movie vampires? (I look forward to the annotations to see which ones I can't identify) Given this was Morrison, I initially thought the entire planet was one giant vampire. (like a blood-sucking Mogo)
    Marvel vampire too, you can see Morbius behind Lestat. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    DC is not keeping Hal out of the League. From the moment Johns brought Hal back, Hal has been a regularly occurring member of the League, with him and John swapping out during McDuffie's brief run because Robinson wanted to use Hal & Ollie for his disastrous Cry for Justice series. During the New 52, Johns included Hal quite prominently and hilariously in the Origin, but had him leave because Vendetti wanted him to be in space as the leader of the Corps (and, at that point, Johns had been writing Hal continuously for many years and had probably run out of things to say with him). Even then, Johns made sure to bring Hal back for his big final story on Justice League, where he was again featured quite prominently. Hal & Bruce's relationship is one of the clearest of the entire run, with Bats starting off hating Hal because he was as a headstrong hot shot cranked up to 11 and respecting him as one of the most heroic members of the team by the end.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kinda glad Hal was spared Bryan Hitch's dull as dishwater run, but your mileage may vary.

As for Snyder, I think he used Hal very well in Metal, but I understand why he wanted to use John because the character was still underdeveloped in the comics and allowed him to introduce the Ultraviolet Lantern mythos (which wouldn't have worked as well with Hal because guilt and regret aren't really his big hang ups).

Snyder isn't using Wally because King wanted to use him in Heroes in Crisis in order to torture fanboys That said, Barry's persona has evolved much more into the more quippy Flash we saw on the cartoon (who was Wally, but also incorporated elements of Barry's backstory similar to how their Kyle was very much like Hal)

I also enjoy seeing Hal with his old JLA buddies, and I still get to see that. Hal's weird relationship with Superman was handled beautifully by Bendis in Man of Steel (in which Hal is still a member of the League). Bendis is also teaming Hal and Batman up in his Walmart stories. Williamson gave us a nice Hal/Barry story a little while ago. Hal & Ollie had a nice team-up in Green Arrow during its Hard Travelling Hero arc and Morrison's got an Ollie/Hal story coming up in The Green Lantern.

Sorry, but there's no grand conspiracy to keep Hal off the League because he's still there, just as John and Jessica are. Now that Kyle's free again, Snyder's confirmed that he'll be showing up, too.
    Is that why he chose the name "Blackstar Parallax".

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Great review: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...world-of-vorr/

"I’ve fought armies of the dead, I’ve beaten down gods and cosmic tyrants. I was possessed by a monster called Parallax. I’ve lived, I’ve died, I’ve been reborn. I’ve relived my dad’s death and every betrayal a thousand times. I’m a founding member of the Justice League of Planet Earth, so let’s get serious…I don’t do inner demons and I don’t do regrets".

Last edited by Johnny; 03-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Not crazy about the "I live for the adrenaline" part though...

Interesting to compare this to Guy's speech to Dr Manhattan in "Doomsday Clock" this week...

DC is not keeping Hal out of the League. From the moment Johns brought Hal back, Hal has been a regularly occurring member of the League, with him and John swapping out during McDuffie's brief run because Robinson wanted to use Hal & Ollie for his disastrous Cry for Justice series. During the New 52, Johns included Hal quite prominently and hilariously in the Origin, but had him leave because Vendetti wanted him to be in space as the leader of the Corps (and, at that point, Johns had been writing Hal continuously for many years and had probably run out of things to say with him). Even then, Johns made sure to bring Hal back for his big final story on Justice League, where he was again featured quite prominently. Hal & Bruce's relationship is one of the clearest of the entire run, with Bats starting off hating Hal because he was as a headstrong hot shot cranked up to 11 and respecting him as one of the most heroic members of the team by the end.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kinda glad Hal was spared Bryan Hitch's dull as dishwater run, but your mileage may vary.

As for Snyder, I think he used Hal very well in Metal, but I understand why he wanted to use John because the character was still underdeveloped in the comics and allowed him to introduce the Ultraviolet Lantern mythos (which wouldn't have worked as well with Hal because guilt and regret aren't really his big hang ups).

Snyder isn't using Wally because King wanted to use him in Heroes in Crisis in order to torture fanboys That said, Barry's persona has evolved much more into the more quippy Flash we saw on the cartoon (who was Wally, but also incorporated elements of Barry's backstory similar to how their Kyle was very much like Hal)

I also enjoy seeing Hal with his old JLA buddies, and I still get to see that. Hal's weird relationship with Superman was handled beautifully by Bendis in Man of Steel (in which Hal is still a member of the League). Bendis is also teaming Hal and Batman up in his Walmart stories. Williamson gave us a nice Hal/Barry story a little while ago. Hal & Ollie had a nice team-up in Green Arrow during its Hard Travelling Hero arc and Morrison's got an Ollie/Hal story coming up in The Green Lantern.

Sorry, but there's no grand conspiracy to keep Hal off the League because he's still there, just as John and Jessica are. Now that Kyle's free again, Snyder's confirmed that he'll be showing up, too.
    Well said.

I like seeing Hal with the League, but I'm also fine with having John there or any of the other Earth's GLs, but John is who Snyder picked.

Now that Kyle's free again, Snyder's confirmed that he'll be showing up, too.
    I don't recall Snyder confirming Kyle will show up. When was this? Is Hal or any of the other GLs going to show up too?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    It's so hard to wait for the trade, but I'll be happy to read it all in one go (and more than once to be sure).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think this is proof that GL fans are simply a passionate bunch, regardless of their preference of ring-slinger.
    No doubt about that. I just wish we GL fans would focus less on finding reasons to be upset and enjoy themselves more.

Morrison & Sharp are crafting an all-time classic run here. Given their story, I don’t see how Hal could still be in the League while this Darkstar undercover storyline is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is that why he chose the name "Blackstar Parallax".
    If I was going undercover, I would certainly lean into the time when I was the baddest mo-fo in existence

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Well said.

I like seeing Hal with the League, but I'm also fine with having John there or any of the other Earth's GLs, but John is who Snyder picked.

I don't recall Snyder confirming Kyle will show up. When was this? Is Hal or any of the other GLs going to show up too?
    On another thread about Kyle and the Source Wall, someone mentioned that Snyder confirmed that Kyle's experiences behind the Source Wall would be used in his Perpetua storyline. I don't know how extensively Kyle will be used (he's already juggling more than a dozen characters), but Kyle will show up again in Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Love the homage to John Schnepp in the background.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

As I said before, I'd prefer the GL spot on the League was always rotating so that we'd get Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, & Jessica each getting some time with their League buddies. Simon? Not so much
    At least Hal still cares about Simon. Probably. Maybe .
    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    BTW, where's Wally West if Snyder's team is a tribute to the cartoon?
    I wonder if Snyder had enough pull to be able to make Wally the Flash of his run if he wanted to.

It probably would have been like the Hal/John situation where the underrepresented but majorly popular characters gets to be on Justice League while the de-facto main version gets the solo book.

I mean, if JL-writers are just going to write Barry as Wally to ape the cartoon, the least they could do is use Wally for a spell.
    I don't think Venditti had much to do with Hal leaving since Johns had him leave way before Venditti was probably even considered to take the books over, but I guess it's potentially what kept Hal out of the books until Darkseid War (not that it's even easy to figure out the chronology of when exactly that story happened with it being so out-of-sync with current DCU continuity).

On another thread about Kyle and the Source Wall, someone mentioned that Snyder confirmed that Kyle's experiences behind the Source Wall would be used in his Perpetua storyline. I don't know how extensively Kyle will be used (he's already juggling more than a dozen characters), but Kyle will show up again in Justice League
    Oh, I think I know what thread you're talking about and that was me, but nothing about his Perpetua storyline, just that his experience would be important (could've just been referencing Titans for all we know since he wouldn't say who's writing what). Superboy Prime was also mentioned in that too.

Dunno if he said anything on any other GLs other than it's pretty much Morrison's domain now.
    Last edited by Lirica; 03-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Venditti had much to do with Hal leaving since Johns had him leave way before Venditti was probably even considered to take the books over, but I guess it's potentially what kept Hal out of the books until Darkseid War (not that it's even easy to figure out the chronology of when exactly that story happened with it being so out-of-sync with current DCU continuity).
    Yeah, I think you're right about the timing there. Either way, it was not DC keeping Hal out of the League, but rather Johns decision to have Hal leave. Again, there is no conspiracy to keep Hal out of the League, just as there was no conspiracy against John, either.

Nobody is out to get your favorite characters, unless your name is Dan Didio