Default Did Charles and Moira intentionally create Proteus and Legion?

That's a big reveal about Legion and Proteus, and one with some potentially massive implications. At minimum it makes Age of X and Age of Apocalypse both directly, if unintentionally, the result of Xavier and Moira's machinations. It also changes the optics of their relationships hugely, not only did Xavier have a relationship with a patient he was counseling, he did so not out of misguided love but as part of a eugenics project. Moira's relationship is even more messed up, as at best, her eugenics project trapped her in an abusive marriage (and one out of implied rape).

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Those are indeed plausible implications to be drawn
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

That's a big reveal about Legion and Proteus, and one with some potentially massive implications. At minimum it makes Age of X and Age of Apocalypse both directly, if unintentionally, the result of Xavier and Moira's machinations. It also changes the optics of their relationships hugely, not only did Xavier have a relationship with a patient he was counseling, he did so not out of misguided love but as part of a eugenics project. Moira's relationship is even more messed up, as at best, her eugenics project trapped her in an abusive marriage (and one out of implied rape).
    Yes. But, this was a Moira entry so we don't know how much Xavier knew. For all we know Moira pointed Xavier in her direction because she knew he would take a liking to her and Xavier had no idea. So need more information, at least on the Xavier end of things.

But that said i wouldn't be suprised if Charles did.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Moira knew, Charles it's unclear. The big issue here is that Proteus originally was supposed to be a product of a rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Moira knew, Charles it's unclear. The big issue here is that Proteus originally was supposed to be a product of a rape.
    I'm just really hoping it doesn't turn into a situation where Moira said it was rape so Charles didn't treat her differently. I just hope in 2019 we don't go that way.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Charles most likely didn't know about Moira's intent, since the journal entries make it seem like it took quite some time for him to come around to Moira's ideas. Gabrielle probably met Charles due to her machinations. I'm pretty sure Proteus was still the product of rape. Moira didn't know his father was a rapist, she was just banking on his genes and things went south, sadly.

Makes me wonder if Scott and Jean were nudged to be together... and what other potential gene donor combinations they may have been aware of or helped with.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I remember a old X-men Classics issue, that had a backstory where Moira working on bringing Proteus back and she found a way to do it, but decided not to because she did not solve him needing lifeforces to consume. Then in the Kings of pain annual crossover Proteus is reformed by a woman and her mutant son by gathering his energy and melding him with the son. Makes me wonder has Moira been waiting for the right time to help Kevin when they have better means at their disposal. I think she new their births would happen, but did not have full control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Makes me wonder if Scott and Jean were nudged to be together... and what other potential gene donor combinations they may have been aware of or helped with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I remember a old X-men Classics issue, that had a backstory where Moira working on bringing Proteus back and she found a way to do it, but decided not to because she did not solve him needing lifeforces to consume. Then in the Kings of pain annual crossover Proteus is reformed by a woman and her mutant son by gathering his energy and melding him with the son. Makes me wonder has Moira been waiting for the right time to help Kevin when they have better means at their disposal. I think she new their births would happen, but did not have full control over it.
    Good points in both posts.

I Hope we get some answers and not more questions, but I do like seeing just how many loose threads there are in Marvel.

Sounds like Moira and Xavier pulled a sinister

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Well, it is canon since the 60's that Charles tried to push them together, though at the time was supposed to be innocent, since it didn't take a telepath to see they liked each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm just really hoping it doesn't turn into a situation where Moira said it was rape so Charles didn't treat her differently. I just hope in 2019 we don't go that way.
    Ugh! That would be terrible. You know that’s going to be what it is! Every reveal makes me hate Hickman more and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Ugh! That would be terrible. You know that’s going to be what it is! Every reveal makes me hate Hickman more and more!
    There's no reason to assume this. Like PrezValentine said, the likely explanation is that Moira knew his genetic composition, but had no idea he was a rapist.

The joe and Moira story is a plothole, it just can't happen the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    The joe and Moira story is a plothole, it just can't happen the same way.
    Yeah, but here's the thing- originally, Claremont had Charles and Moira separate because he was drafted, but since there's no draft for many decades now, it's simply impossible.