Page 11 of 360 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest orders!

Got some vouchers from work and used them to pick up the Planetary Omnibus for 19 euros, so happy!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Got some vouchers from work and used them to pick up the Planetary Omnibus for 19 euros, so happy!

Good for you, that's a good read. Don't really like edition thou.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Cool thanks? Do you have any comics from Azerbaijan translated to english which are worth picking up? We have Thorgal in Poland - I know it was published in Belgium first, but this title is still considered by many as polish-ish.
    oh no. God no. nothing to translate. i think we're not quite there yet. we might be consuming but not producing, no.

everyone who read Thorgal seems to love it and it looks magnificent indeed. i wish there were English collected editions with higher page count.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    awesome deal for an awesome book (I think it's in my all time top 5 with Watchmen, the Invisibles and Fear agent).

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    oh no. God no. nothing to translate. i think we're not quite there yet. we might be consuming but not producing, no.

everyone who read Thorgal seems to love it and it looks magnificent indeed. i wish there were English collected editions with higher page count.
    Shame. Would have been interesting to read something different with cultural referencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    awesome deal for an awesome book (I think it's in my all time top 5 with Watchmen, the Invisibles and Fear agent).
    I'm really excited about this one, I walked into a bookshop that sells some comics (the vouchers were for books). I intended to buy the Big Damn Sin City, but it was sold out. I then found Planetary for 60 euros (shrinkwrapped and all) and threw all my vouchers at him lol!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Hmmm, with Watchmen I agree 100%, best GN evah! but I wouldn't say Planetary is that good. Why do you like it so much? It has depth I give you that, and 'more than meets the eye' stuff but didn't consider it as a very important for comics in general.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Hmmm, with Watchmen I agree 100%, best GN evah! but I wouldn't say Planetary is that good. Why do you like it so much? It has depth I give you that, and 'more than meets the eye' stuff but didn't consider it as a very important for comics in general.
    It's very important to comic book history. It's one of the comics that started the rise of the widescreen comics. Apart from that it's just awesome.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It's very important to comic book history. It's one of the comics that started the rise of the widescreen comics. Apart from that it's just awesome.
    Don't really know what that means. I'm serious. Sometimes I feel like a big ignorant here. Do you mean big panels, 2 pages spread etc?

All-New Member

Don't really know what that means. I'm serious. Sometimes I feel like a big ignorant here. Do you mean big panels, 2 pages spread etc?
    More like cinematic. The use of textless establishing shots, less narration and more use of imagery to move the story forward. See The Authority and The Ultimates, or pretty much all of Warren Ellis and Mark Millar's works.

Picked up 2 vol 1's and an extra from the BaN dc and marvel discount.

X23 Vol 1
    Hellblazer Vol 1
    Blue Beetle Vol 2 (Rogers Era)
    Last edited by AJpyro; 12-23-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher W. View Post
    More like cinematic. The use of textless establishing shots, less narration and more use of imagery to move the story forward. See The Authority and The Ultimates, or pretty much all of Warren Ellis and Mark Millar's works.
    Got it, really liked Authority, at least first HC, second one is kinda boring and cliche. Would like to get Ultimates omni but it's too expensive.

EDIT:

My friend has just bought me 13 issues of XIII, all in HC, polish editions, for 30 quid. Another series to collect, 20th will be published soon.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 12-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.

I didn't say it's important, it's just one of my favourites. There is something in Ellis' writing that just works for me (at least his greatest hits like Planetary, Authority, Transmetro, etc...) But I would say it is important as a loveletter to the 20th century popculture. It is well written, clever, beautifully illustrated and the storytelling is excellent too. It is also a book that you could give to anybody and say "read this and you will understand why I love comics". I think it's even better for that purpose than Watchmen because it's truly a celebration of the medium and not a deconstruction of a genre.
    But you could argue that Fear Agent is even less important and I would still put it next to Watchmen because it's just a really awesome story that I could read again and again and also recommend to anybody who loves some science fiction.

BANNED

Got from Amazon TWD #132 lootcrate variant $10 shipped.
    the-walking-dead-132-loot-crate-var-099cb.jpg

Mighty Member

My Christmas order to myself:

Revival HC vol. 2 (upgrading singles)
    DMZ HC vol. 3 (upgrading trades)
    Lucifer Book 5 (this series has been excellent, really wish it was in HC, but these new trades are pretty nice)
    Deadpool HC vol. 1 (never really read alot of deadpool, but people keep recommending, and i like the marvel now HC's)
    Casanova HC vol. 1 (another i've never tried but heard good things about, a little hesitant because of the price/page count)