Page 536 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 3643648652653253353453553653753853954054658663610361536 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,040 of 36576

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Apologies to others for massively nerding up the thread. ^_^
    No worries, I enjoy seeing other's characters in a system I understand enough to comprehend what they're talking about.

I'm glad things are looking up for your wife as well.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    No worries, I enjoy seeing other's characters in a system I understand enough to comprehend what they're talking about.

I'm glad things are looking up for your wife as well.
    Thanks, man.

Lots of TTRPGers hereabouts... ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i may not like reactions but i do appreciate the ones who are watching one piece for the first time. it does something to me to see these new fans experience all the highs and lows of the series with fresh eyes.

Apologies to others for massively nerding up the thread. ^_^
    How dare you nerd up the general discussion thread of a forum devoted to pitting fictional characters against each other in mortal combat?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i may not like reactions but i do appreciate the ones who are watching one piece for the first time. it does something to me to see these new fans experience all the highs and lows of the series with fresh eyes.
    If you want one piece reactions, I heartily recommend this twitter thread.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

And....Holy ****, One Piece: Bounty Rush got a massive update.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

I... have no words.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post

I... have no words.
    It was supposed to be a five nights at freddie's movie but the film rights lapsed so they repurposed the script

It has been a while - I'll see what I can remember. I imbalanced their stats to prioritize attack and defense skills over damage and toughness (heavily prioritize in the case of defense). Rather than using strength for damage, I gave them a 'Strike' power with autofire (autofire adds to the damage with better hit rolls, simulating more attacks of the 'burst' hitting...in this character's case, it simulated 'a higher attack roll means more accurately hitting weaker areas' to add to the damage, another case of using one power to simulate something different) and made it a multi-power, allowing them to stun, nauseate, and weaken people, depending on what they wanted (comic book pressure points, hits to vital areas, that kind of thing) - autofire in that case added to the number people had to save against in order to resist the effect. A little extra movement, for running speed. Ridiculous physical skills (stealth, acrobatics, the like - truly comic book levels of these). An extra sense - air pressure sensing, precise and targeting, to allow them to recognize details and also fight using air pressure alone (if blinded).

The capper was a 'full concealment' power, against all senses. However, it had the modifiers 'Only in combat, has no visible effect (haha), and doesn't work against people with Superspeed'. There were a couple of other modifiers, I'd need to look them up. Essentially it gave the character the benefit of 'Full Concealment' (by the rules) without rendering them invisible, inaudible, or anything else like that. They were there, they were visible, you could see/hear/smell/sense them, but by the RULES they were considered to have Full Concealment...which meant in combat, they received the benefit of every attack that 'hits' having a 50/50 chance of then automatically missing. This was the character's 'Sense Flaws in attacks' ability - basically, even if someone managed to hit them with their ridiculous defense, there would then be a second roll with a 50/50 chance of negating the attack. The weakness against fast characters represented the idea that while they might see the flaw in the attack, they simply wouldn't be quick enough to capitalize against it. There was one sense it was weak against, as well - mental senses (mind reading).

Also, the character had immunity: fear (they were somewhat...unbalanced, mentally, and not feeling any fear was part of that) and an immunity to having their powers messed around with by people who had 'power control' (they were 'unpowered', really - all of the character's 'powers' were really representing ridiculous skills and trained or innate 'natural' abilities to do things). They had numerous weakness, as well, which made them fun.

Feats can make for a ridiculous martial artist in-game. This character had feats to swap points between attack, defend, damage, back and forth if need be, allowing them tactical choices in a fight. Feats to improve their initiative. Feats to allow them to just keep hitting people as long as they KO'ed a target and their next target was within 5' (making for an impressive kind of 'Street Level Martial Artist Blitzes Normals' thing in a single round - the character once hit a group of 12 thugs standing around 3 cars and KO'ed every one of them in a round, made for a fun description in my PbP post). Another pair of feats were 'ultimate skill: tactics' and 'master plan' to simulate seeing flaws in plans and devising counter-tactics.

The character's big weakness was that they were awfully fragile compared to other heroes. If a superstrong character managed to hit them, they were pretty much done - likely injured or 'crippled' (or the equivalent), stunned, etc (they could weather the strikes of a normal human, though with a chance of injury, and a strong human would start to stack up damage against them pretty quickly). And they could get telepathically fried, or whathaveyou. Area attacks worked decently. Massively durable characters would laugh at them (and did, though they took that in stride, finding it funny as well), though they managed to KO one once by hitting them over and over with stunning attacks until the dude failed two saves in a row and went from Stunned to KO. But they were sneaky (like, Batman-sneaky), they were solid in a fight, they were fast, and due to their personality, hilarious to play. Great searching skills and senses as well. Not group leader or most powerful, but they were a solid part of the team, helping in lots of ways.

M&M doesn't do too badly at doing martial arts (in this case, 'better hand to hand fighting'). It doesn't have specific martial art RULES, but the Feat system and the powers allows for simulation of all kinds of hilarity, including grappling, breaking people's bones and such(damage that is lethal and/or has extra effects over and above 'damage', like weakening people for a long period), debilitating strikes, adaptability, etc, etc.
    That’s pretty badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    How dare you nerd up the general discussion thread of a forum devoted to pitting fictional characters against each other in mortal combat?
    Well, there's nerding up and then there's Massive RPG Infodump™ nerding up.

But I grasp your meaning. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    That’s pretty badass!
    M&M is a pretty darned robust and flexible system. I've played a LOT of superhero TTRPG's through the years -- Classic Marvel, Villains and Vigilantes, Heroes and Heroines, Champions -- and M&M 2e beats them all, in my opinion. Not to say those systems stank -- some were better than others, they all had strengths, etc. But M&M 2e was just too good -- massive customization in character creation, fluid and fast rules with sufficient complexity, fairly well balanced, etc. Does it have some unrealism in it? Sure. But as a comic book simulation, it hit all the right notes, and is flexible enough that one can simulate any number of 'styles' of play, from 'Four Colour' to 'Grim and Gritty'.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Reading Kimetsu no Yaiba. So far, so good -- interesting, writing is good, it avoids a lot of the tropes I don't like (and even lampoons some of them), is serious but not grim, and people look normal and dress normally. I mean, there are some weird characters, but nobody is heavily sexualized.

Edit: urrgh, spoke too soon on that last, but it took ~75 chapters before I hit something annoying.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-20-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Why are we here?

Well, there's nerding up and then there's Massive RPG Infodump™ nerding up.

But I grasp your meaning. ^_^

M&M is a pretty darned robust and flexible system. I've played a LOT of superhero TTRPG's through the years -- Classic Marvel, Villains and Vigilantes, Heroes and Heroines, Champions -- and M&M 2e beats them all, in my opinion. Not to say those systems stank -- some were better than others, they all had strengths, etc. But M&M 2e was just too good -- massive customization in character creation, fluid and fast rules with sufficient complexity, fairly well balanced, etc. Does it have some unrealism in it? Sure. But as a comic book simulation, it hit all the right notes, and is flexible enough that one can simulate any number of 'styles' of play, from 'Four Colour' to 'Grim and Gritty'.
    Dude I’m laughing thinking about the people I’ll be playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Dude I’m laughing thinking about the people I’ll be playing with.
    ...tell me more. :) What kind of people are we talking about?
    Why are we here?

...tell me more. What kind of people are we talking about?
    A great group of people with very different personalities. One of my buddies tried to do a female voice the other day and it was rather disturbing lol. We all have a good time with plenty of laughs. A play a barbarian gnome and the interaction with a very tall Dragonborn character is always hilarious.