View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 898 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3987988488888948958968978988999009019029089489981398 ... LastLast
Results 13,456 to 13,470 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    If DC use the same GA/SA break point as the archives then the first SA issues are Batman 164 & Detective Comics 327 which are the first "New Look" appearances when Batman gained the yellow symbol on his emblem

Also I have heard from others that the GA Batman Omnibus vol 5 will be the first "new" material collected beyond what was in the archives
    That makes more sense.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    That makes more sense.
    No probs, I just went with what DC started with in the "Dynamic Duo" Archives

No probs, I just went with what DC started with in the "Dynamic Duo" Archives
    DC Has a funny way of.doing this. Regardless, as long as the content is finally out there in print.
    Last edited by Vilynne; 06-05-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Also I have heard from others that the GA Batman Omnibus vol 5 will be the first "new" material collected beyond what was in the archives
    Which will be really exciting.

To see all of the 40s in the Omnibi for Batman and Superman would be a dream come true for me. And then I'd hope the 50s would get the same treatment.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

To see all of the 40s in the Omnibi for Batman and Superman would be a dream come true for me. And then I'd hope the 50s would get the same treatment.
    Whereas younger fans like myself don't care about the material at all, and would prefer DC put their resources into more recent series, which would have a broader appeal. (I'm glad you are enjoying them, though)
    Cyclops was right

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Apologies in advance, I know you have "new" in quotes for a reason. It just (possibly) escapes me.
    So the material in GA Batman vol. 5 is material that has never before been collected? The DC Archive Editions only went so far as material through GA Batman vol. 4?
    That's how I understand it. Am I right?

If so that's very cool and would seem to be a reason that fans of that material would come on board if they've passed on the Omni's thus far because they have the material in the DC Archives format. Meaning, in theory, some uptick in sales for subsequent GA volumes of Batman could occur. Also the same for Superman once the same point is crossed, unless his vol. 5 is also doing that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

I'm excited that they are carrying on Superman and Batman GA Omni's too! I have all of those that have been released now.
    I'm crossing fingers and toes that they continue on until they get to the Silver Age. Then start again there.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Apologies in advance, I know you have "new" in quotes for a reason. It just (possibly) escapes me.
    So the material in GA Batman vol. 5 is material that has never before been collected? The DC Archive Editions only went so far as material through GA Batman vol. 4?
    That's how I understand it. Am I right?
    Yes thats correct, the material in volume 5 will contain the first reprints of issues that the archives never reached (in the archives the Batman comic reached issue 37 from 1946 and Detective Comics reached 170 from 1951)

Although I dont know if it will take to Omnibus 6 (or 7) to start reprinted previously uncollected issues of Detective Comics as the archives for that series managed to get up to 1951 (compared to 1946 for Batman)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Here's a question for an expert: I've recently bought the Golden age of Batman 3 volumes and have ordered the fourth, my question is what issue does it change to Silver age and roughly how many Golden age volumes would it take to get there. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    The Golden/Silver Age dividing line is easy for Wonder Woman... it's WW #98 from May 1958. That issue retold WW's origin without any World War II trappings and changed Hippolyta from a brunette to a blonde.

Unfortunately, it's more complicated for Batman and Superman, as neither of them had any kind of "break" between the Golden and Silver Ages. Some fans will tell you Silver Age Batman started with Detective Comics #327, when he first acquired the yellow oval around his chest emblem. But that issue was from May 1964, well into the Silver Age... Batman had already been a member of the JLA for four years at that point, and they're definitely Silver Age, not Golden Age!

Since the introduction of Barry Allen as the second Flash is almost uniformly considered the start of the Silver Age, technically DC could just use the Batman/Detective Comics issues released that same month as the beginning of Batman's Silver Age volumes. That might be kind of arbitrary, though. Mike (from Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics) has a very complex explanation that basically settles on Batman #81 and Detective Comics #203 as the first Earth-1 Batman issues, which generally correlates with the Silver Age, so that might be the best bet.

http://www.dcindexes.com/index.php?p...oy&articleid=9

As for Superman, it's even more complex because the Golden Age Superman was established as never having been Superboy as a kid, only becoming a costumed hero as an adult... yet Superboy stories (generally identified with the Silver Age) started being published all the way back in 1945, in the heart of the Golden Age! Be that as it may, a lot of fans consider Action Comics #241 (June 1958) as the beginning of Superman's Silver Age. That issue introduced the Fortress of Solitude (the Golden Age Superman had had an unnamed mountain retreat), and the next few years would bring many of the Silver Age Superman hallmarks: Brainiac, Kandor, Supergirl, the Legion of Super Heroes, Bizarro, different kinds of Kryptonite, etc.

So if Wonder Woman's Silver Age began in May 1958 and Superman's in June 1958, it's not too much of a stretch to think they'll probably use 1958 or so as the cutoff point between the Golden and Silver Age volumes. As for how many volumes it'll take to get there, though... sorry, haven't a clue!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Whereas younger fans like myself don't care about the material at all, and would prefer DC put their resources into more recent series, which would have a broader appeal. (I'm glad you are enjoying them, though)
    Just playing devil's advocate, but would recent series necessarily have broader appeal, in omnibus format anyway? I'm not especially young (36), but I'm not old either, and I love the hell out of the Golden Age, I'll buy every volume they put out. (Although Green Arrow will test that resolve... really, no Green Lantern or Flash or JSA?) Whereas I don't care about the Silver Age and won't buy any of those volumes, but I'll happily skip ahead to the Bronze Age and get most of them.

That's not knocking modern stuff at all, but I'm sure part of the appeal of the Golden Age omnibuses for DC was that they already had the issues recolored and ready to go from the Archives volumes. (Hence why the upcoming volumes, where they start pushing past where the Archives reached, really need to have strong sales to justify the expense of the recoloring, reformatting, introductions, etc.) And, if we're being honest, would an omnibus of modern runs automatically outsell the Golden Age volumes? A Grant Morrison Batman omni would, I'm sure, and Scott Snyder, sure. But a lot of other books? I'm not so sure.

(And I don't know enough to speak with any level of expertise to it, but don't reprint fees factor in too? I've heard that at a certain point in the Bronze Age, DC reworked their freelance contracts and have to pay more to creators to reprint their stories than they used to have to. So it's probably a lot cheaper to produce a Golden or Silver Age omnibus than it would be to do a modern run. That doesn't mean it'll sell better, but DC gets to keep more of what they make.)

Bottom line, more modern runs might appeal to more people, but they're also probably more expensive to produce. I'd guess that's at least part of the reason why DC's omnis are focused so heavily on their back catalog.

Not a fan of Golden Age books at all, but nice to see they are cranking them out and people are buying. Just waiting for them to get around to Silver Age Superman hopefully the line remains strong enough to make it to that point.

Hey guys, the Omnibus Collector is staring a DC top 10 Most Wanted Omnibus Ballot
    You don't need to sign up for anything, anyone can submit their own ballot
    You can find the rules here http://theomnibuscollector.com/post/...cs-most-wanted
    The email to submit your ballot is DCSECRETBALLOT@gmail.com
    "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth"

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder595 View Post
    Hey guys, the Omnibus Collector is staring a DC top 10 Most Wanted Omnibus Ballot
    You don't need to sign up for anything, anyone can submit their own ballot
    You can find the rules here http://theomnibuscollector.com/post/...cs-most-wanted
    The email to submit your ballot is DCSECRETBALLOT@gmail.com
    Deadline is June 30th, 11:59 Central Standard Time (US timezone) e.g. Chicago,IL; St.Louis,MO; Nashville,TN
    Not for Absolutes, if you want an existing Absolute done as an Omni that's ok, don't suggest new material as an Absolute in this poll.
    Not for Vertigo titles.
    Specify a run as best you can, don't just say Swamp Thing or Aquaman, give a creator, volume, year it started.
    You can vote for a continuation volume of existing line, e.g. WW by Perez vol.3 or GA Superman vol.6

Votes tallied as follows: #1 vote=10pts, #2 vote=9pts, #3 vote=8pts etc

I didn't see it stated NOT to post your votes in this thread or elsewhere but like the Marvel Most Wanted I nominate that we don't reveal our own votes either.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

I thought someone else was already doing a DC poll

Boy, I'd kill for a complete Amethyst Omnibus. I won't vote it in, since im probably the only one, so I'll just clutter his email. Very curious to see the results.