Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's just the usual shake-up when a movie comes out. Things will normalize again eventually. I don't like the tattoos. They make no sense. Still better than a hook hand.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the return of Manta.
    Well its a little late shake up, they didn't capitalize from the movie at all, its takes more than some tattoos to exploit the success the movie had. But I expect them to stay at least till the sequel.
    One thing that baffles me how DC did not exploit the success the movie achieved and its not just the comics but in all Aquaman spheres.
    With the publishing of Mera Tidebreaker you could feel the buzz of movie fans towards it and probably the book benefited from the movie greatly in its sales. As it attracted lots of interest of non comic fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it just kind of baffles me that we're stuck with this design in the comics when people probably think of Momoa in the classic look more now.
    Indeed the general feel is that the movie changed the perception of Aquaman and when they think of Momoa as Aquaman the image is that of Momoa in the classic outfit.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 04-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Well its a little late shake up, they didn't capitalize from the movie at all, its takes more than some tattoos to exploit the success the movie had. But I expect them to stay at least till the sequel.
    One thing that baffles me how DC did not exploit the success the movie achieved and its not just the comics but in all Aquaman spheres.
    With the publishing of Mera Tidebreaker you could feel the buzz of movie fans towards it and probably the book benefited from the movie greatly in its sales. As it attracted lots of interest of non comic fans.

Indeed the general feel is that the movie changed the perception of Aquaman and when they think of Momoa as Aquaman the image is that of Momoa in the classic outfit.
    Has there ever been a timely movie shake-up? They've always been flash-in-the-pan hasty decisions that fizzle and reset in five years. Sucks, but it's the business. People like movies more and that's where the money is. That Arthur has been redeemed a bit from a joke character in the public eye is worth a bit of looking silly for a bit.

Has there ever been a timely movie shake-up? They've always been flash-in-the-pan hasty decisions that fizzle and reset in five years. Sucks, but it's the business. People like movies more and that's where the money is. That Arthur has been redeemed a bit from a joke character in the public eye is worth a bit of looking silly for a bit.
    Well I am not just referring to the comics, the aquaman merchandise wasn't up to the occasion.

As for the comics they completely missed the occasion as well. They could have had many more readers. Geoff Aquaman's Omnibus had to be reprinted such was the demand. Mera Tidebreaker is a bestseller. There was a good occasion to sell more comics and make more money. the demand was there, the supply wasn't up to the occasion.

I am now of the opinion that the movie success caught them by surprise. Even the initial KSD run seems now to have a logic, they expected a failure at the BO and anticipated it with a soft reboot in the comics. I read many commentators baffled by the approach taken and the logical explanation they are giving that the success of the movie was unexpected.

Well I am not just referring to the comics, the aquaman merchandise wasn't up to the occasion.

As for the comics they completely missed the occasion as well. They could have had many more readers. Geoff Aquaman's Omnibus had to be reprinted such was the demand. Mera Tidebreaker is a bestseller. There was a good occasion to sell more comics and make more money. the demand was there, the supply wasn't up to the occasion.

I am now of the opinion that the movie success caught them by surprise. Even the initial KSD run seems now to have a logic, they expected a failure at the BO and anticipated it with a soft reboot in the comics. I read many commentators baffled by the approach taken and the logical explanation they are giving that the success of the movie was unexpected.
    Having read every one of KSD's issue, it doesn't feel that way at all. Her run comes across as she likes mythology and a more dudebro interpretation of Aquaman as seen in the trailer. She's 100% doing her own thing. The soft reboot reads more as her finding her footing, or sea legs if we're being fun. For what it's worth, most movie tie-in merch sports the movie version, not classic. The stuff with JLGL art usually is what's always on sale.

Finally getting Aquaman and Aqualad meeting in present continuity. DC’s failure to capitalize on Kaldur’s success in the cartoon is just baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Finally getting Aquaman and Aqualad meeting in present continuity. DC’s failure to capitalize on Kaldur’s success in the cartoon is just baffling.
    To be fair, they haven't done much substantial work with any of the Aquafamily sans Mera.

Having read every one of KSD's issue, it doesn't feel that way at all. Her run comes across as she likes mythology and a more dudebro interpretation of Aquaman as seen in the trailer. She's 100% doing her own thing. The soft reboot reads more as her finding her footing, or sea legs if we're being fun. For what it's worth, most movie tie-in merch sports the movie version, not classic. The stuff with JLGL art usually is what's always on sale.
    definitely she needed to find her own footing, but she has dragged it a little too much, that said, Abnett left her a mess, he altered characters, especially Mera''s, the fact that he made her queen of atlantis, a xebellian is ridiculous. Mera never cared about Atlantis not to say she always hated it. KSD's run has focused too much on what she likes and not what's necessary, it has led to a substantial drop in sales. I believe she could have done it better, involving more traditional characters in the story. But nobody is perfect. The July issue is a life saver for Aquaman. It Can't afford to lose more readers. But they seem, at least that's how I see it, that they are starting to fix it.

To be fair, they haven't done much substantial work with any of the Aquafamily sans Mera.
    the term Aquafamily in this continuity isn't applicable anymore, I believe they see it as outdated.

They didn't capitalize on the movie you can't expect them to capitalize on the cartoon However they will make a mistake if the Aqualad and Aquaman arc focus just on mentoring. This is an adventure comics, a little of mentoring would do, just as a touch of romance with Mera would work as well. But stops there. We arent reading shakespeare we are reading superhero comics. Fantasy characters of fantasy worlds complicating them with story lines you read elsewhere makes them lose their appeal and become boring.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd rather see the "Aqua-family" used in more subtle ways. I love Tula ever since the New 52, much more than I'd like her as AQUAGIRL. The idea is there, but she's more of a supporting cast member with actual narrative power than a Teen Titan.

I'd like to see Garth and Topo be involved more, but as supporting cast pals of Arthur in the way that Tula is for Mera.

It is kind of ridiculous it took this long to get Aqualad in an Aquaman book, but maybe that's on Abnett or DC editorial.
    Well, Dolphin was prominent in the back-half of Abnett's run but I can't say Garth and Tula have really stood out much (at least in a good way).

I would like more cohesion and interaction between the various members of the Aqua-Family. Garth needs to have a more prominent role in the series IMO as well.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It is kind of ridiculous it took this long to get Aqualad in an Aquaman book, but maybe that's on Abnett or DC editorial.

Well, Dolphin was prominent in the back-half of Abnett's run but I can't say Garth and Tula have really stood out much (at least in a good way).
    looking back, Abnett's run has messed up things and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I would like more cohesion and interaction between the various members of the Aqua-Family. Garth needs to have a more prominent role in the series IMO as well.
    Couldn't Agree more, but to do that first they need to be present in the series, interacting in a common environment, can't do that with Arthur and Aqualad in Amnesty Bay, Mera in Atlantis, Garth and Tula God knows where. Many fixes are needed I believe.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Not surprised honestly. They didn't even exploit WW success. She's getting a damn animated movie 2 years AFTER her movie came out. DC couldn't even at least give her an animated show.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Not surprised honestly. They didn't even exploit WW success. She's getting a damn animated movie 2 years AFTER her movie came out. DC couldn't even at least give her an animated show.
    sometimes I think they are amateurish, because this goes beyond rational commercial explanation. Any other company would have made the most of this. I repeat the demand was out there, they just had to reach out. Mera Tidebreaker is a sellout thanks to the movie. Geoff Aquaman Omnibus was sold out in January they had to rush for a reprint. Had I been on the board of WB I would demand the entire DC management fired on spot. You can't lose money like this!!

Arc is over and next month we start to get answers and remind Arthur of who he is. I still have a few questions about the Ocean God and I think Namma was taken out a bit too easily but it was a fun little fantasy arc break, imo. And we already know KSD has plans for the rest of the Old Gods so I wouldn't be shocked if Namma returns. Also, whatever the deal with Callie is; who I could honestly do without.

At this point I'm just ready for July for the return of Manta and Aqualad's appearance.

Ugh those damn tattoos.