Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Superman's physique/build?

How well-built should Superman be in terms of physique?

I used to think he should be really really buff in terms of being muscular, but my opinion has been changing into my preferring a leaner Superman.

Superman by IMMages.jpg 6256105318ec36353401388f569d5997.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I think the best physique for me was given to him in DCEU, where he can go from being this

To being like this

Just by changing clothes and posture. Obviously he has to look perfectly buffed, but not overdone in that sense. Should he be the "biggest" super hero? Not at all. His strength lies not in size of his muscles, but in a size of his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I think the best physique for me was given to him in DCEU, where he can go from being this

To being like this

Just by changing clothes and posture. Obviously he has to look perfectly buffed, but not overdone in that sense. Should he be the "biggest" super hero? Not at all. His strength lies not in size of his muscles, but in a size of his heart.
    I kind of initially wanted to bring up his super-strength in regard to his muscles, but I was afraid it would already derail the thread from the start.
    Pull-List:

build wise, Cavil is pretty close to ideal. Height wise though, according to the internet Henry Cavill is 6'1, so I'm actually a bit taller than him (6'3). Me being technically taller than Superman feels weird, ideally he should be like 6'4 like Reeve.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 11-05-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Was this subject brought up already? may someone inform me please?
    Pull-List:

Astonishing Member

Yes those pics of Cavil show the type of build Superman should have. In costume he needs to have an athletic but not overly muscled build, so that as Clark he can pass for an average guy. If he looks like the Hulk then it undercuts his ability to blen into the background with a mild demeanor and a pair of glasses. On the other hand making him look like a classic 98-lb weakling while plausible based on his powers undercuts the visuals of Superman in action.

When I think of Superman's build, one word comes to mind; bulk.

Superman should be a big, thick guy. He doesn't have to have extreme muscle definition like a body builder; with veins popping out all over his arms and each individual muscle etched out in clear detail, but he should have some serious mass. Back in the day when Ed McGuiness was drawing the character, he said that Superman should look like he can move mountains even when standing still. That always stuck with me.

In MoS, when Cav-El comes out of the water shirtless (after saving people on the oil rig) that's about the kind of build I want to see for Superman.

As for Clark Kent....with a bulk-over-definition build, if he slumps and sticks his stomach out and throws on some thick, loose clothes, he'll look like a big-boned guy who spent his childhood working a farm but who, in adulthood, has let himself go a little. He'll look soft, and I dont think anyone connects the word "soft" to Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Something that defies and subverts expectations.

Whether that's slim or fat, I'm not sure yet.

I'm over him having a bodybuilder type physique.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Brandon Routh.

Gen up.

Retired

Superman should look like this--

--The over-muscled super-hero, popularized by Marvel Comics, was never what Superman was supposed to be. He's not the Hulk. He's a man and should look like a real man. That's what was so impressive about him when kids saw him on the cover of ACTION COMICS No. 1. Here was a guy--a fairly fit guy but still just a guy in his appearance--and yet he was holding a car above his head. Astounding!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    When I think of Superman's build, one word comes to mind; bulk.

Superman should be a big, thick guy. He doesn't have to have extreme muscle definition like a body builder; with veins popping out all over his arms and each individual muscle etched out in clear detail, but he should have some serious mass. Back in the day when Ed McGuiness was drawing the character, he said that Superman should look like he can move mountains even when standing still. That always stuck with me.
    McGuiness is one of the first things to come to mind for me as what Superman's build should not be. I prefer Superman looking more like David than Goliath. Just going on looks you'd expect most bruisers to wipe the floor with Superman ... then the next scene is the same bruiser struggling in vain to move Superman's pinky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    McGuiness is one of the first things to come to mind for me as what Superman's build should not be. I prefer Superman looking more like David than Goliath. Just going on looks you'd expect most bruisers to wipe the floor with Superman ... then the next scene is the same bruiser struggling in vain to move Superman's pinky.
    Ed McGuiness does draw him way too ripped and big, but his statement about Superman looking powerful works for me.

He shouldn't be the Hulk, no, but he should look strong and tough. We expect him to be smarter than us, more ethical than us, better than we are in basically every respect. Why should his physicality be any different?

Not a body builder, but someone who engages in extensive physical exertion on a regular basis; an athlete who does more lifting than cardio, like a football player or a farm hand.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    He shouldn't be the Hulk, no, but he should look strong and tough. We expect him to be smarter than us, more ethical than us, better than we are in basically every respect. Why should his physicality be any different?
    Because his physical appearance doesn't correlate to his physical strength.

Even when he's just a kid, most incarnations of Superman are already more powerful than any one in the real world.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Mcguinness gets one thing very few do: agility. Superman should be built for agility, capable of flips and high kicks.

If he's physically perfect like the comics say, he'd probably be 6'2 or 6'3 with a body drawn by Gary Frank in appearance.

Acting wise, I have a hard time thinking of someone who'd look better... except for his UNCLE buddy Armie Hammer. I think he'd be a great looking Superman and he's also quite good at acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Because his physical appearance doesn't correlate to his physical strength.

Even when he's just a kid, most incarnations of Superman are already more powerful than any one in the real world.
    If his physicality matched his actual ability he'd be so massively muscled he'd just be a giant ball.

~ Black Panther.