Fantastic Member

Default Ms. Marvel #11 2015 (Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and Lockdown)

Ok. Just reading some back issues of Ms. Marvel and I'm reading the Civil War 2 issues. Just reading how Captain Marvel completely screwed over Lockdown (Ms. Marvel #11 2016)

I don't understand it at all. As far as I can see, Lockdown was following Captain Marvel's orders...

Not only does she threaten Becky with a court martial, she just leaves the situation and leaves Becky to get arrested.

Not only that... Becky's arrested for "impersonating law enforcement"... but Ms. Marvel was doing the same thing... she was actually leading the project... and it was all under Captain Marvel. So why does Becky get all the punishment here?

The writing just felt extremely sloppy... As far as supervillain origin stories go, Lockdown's feels really bad.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-15-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: wrong year

Becky's codename is unfortunate in hindsight, as now everyone associates "Lockdown" with Coronavirus...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

CM never gave becky or kamala the authority to full on capture and detain multiple people in a makeshift warehouse prison the former apparently made and wanted kamala to keep them in line if they stepped outside their bounds.
    Far as I can tell Lockdown just went rogue, and kamala along with her for a bit, before just saying **** it. Prior to all that they would just interrupt the crime by holding the person at their location for a bit.

I'm not exactly sure what the point was, but it could be that preemptive justice could go too far too easily. Also it was weird when kamala tried to prove carol wrong about the visions.... a bomb blast actually happened

It really isn't all that well written imo because there's no real set up. Like who are these people. Where did they come from. Where did they get the tech (later explained becky has an uncle in rubicon in magnificent ms marvel)

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Ok. Just reading some back issues of Ms. Marvel and I'm reading the Civil War 2 issues. Just reading how Captain Marvel completely screwed over Lockdown (Ms. Marvel #11 2016)

I don't understand it at all. As far as I can see, Lockdown was following Captain Marvel's orders...

Not only does she threaten Becky with a court martial, she just leaves the situation and leaves Becky to get arrested.

Not only that... Becky's arrested for "impersonating law enforcement"... but Ms. Marvel was doing the same thing... she was actually leading the project... and it was all under Captain Marvel. So why does Becky get all the punishment here?

The writing just felt extremely sloppy... As far as supervillain origin stories go, Lockdown's feels really bad.
    Carol specifically orders Kamala not to let Becky's team violate the law, which they did by imprisoning people without trial.

To be clear, Carol's program only used Ulysses's predictions as probable cause, it wasn't like Minority Report where they would prosecute & imprison you for crimes you didn't commit.

Fantastic Member

Ah, you guys are right. Thanks for clarifying. So Becky took things much further than Carol wanted.

Kamala had the chance to tell Carol that they were breaking the law though right after she first tells the Cadets to shut down (their first fight)... she could have just said that to Carol, and that would have been the end of it...
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-16-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Becky's codename is unfortunate in hindsight, as now everyone associates "Lockdown" with Coronavirus...
    in my circle of friends nobody even bothers with that name - we have been calling her Basic since the beginning