Page 232 of 354 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Presumably you are referring to the pseudo Shakespearian speech? I.e A kind of heightened Elizabethan metre. I don't mind that when it is done well. Not many writers can. Stan could do it passably but it was a little camp. He loved to read Shakespeare aloud. It doesn't always work well though. Let the writers play to their strengths.

Aaron uses a strong formally accented English for Allspeak. It is reasonably well pitched to not be too camp or to risk misusing Thee and Thy or the worst culprit Thine.
    Not necessarily, but Jonathan Hickman comes to mind. He generally writes a Thor I imagine hearing. Sort of like the "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" cartoon where it blends some of the Middle English with modern proper English. His Thor speaks quite properly. Aaron's Thor is more "tough guy, cool" type speech that Bendis also did, though he peppers in some classical Thor-speak here and there. So is Fraction's. I don't think a writer has to bring back the thees and thous for the Asgardians, but they sound way too human for my tastes. Sort of diminishes their unique personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Not necessarily, but Jonathan Hickman comes to mind. He generally writes a Thor I imagine hearing. Sort of like the "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" cartoon where it blends some of the Middle English with modern proper English. His Thor speaks quite properly. Aaron's Thor is more "tough guy, cool" type speech that Bendis also did, though he peppers in some classical Thor-speak here and there. So is Fraction's. I don't think a writer has to bring back the thees and thous for the Asgardians, but they sound way too human for my tastes. Sort of diminishes their unique personalities.

Fond memories .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Not sure if it would work in the comics as there has been a 50+years of history where the Hammer has been synonymous with the name and character of Thor so it would seem inevitable that once the Son of Odin chooses to reuse his real name,that he would be reunited with the Hammer but who knows what Aaron has in mind?
    Well, I think is a natural progression after Odinson liberated his people from the Ragnarok cycle.(Disassemble arc) From then on they are all free from their mythical destinies. I mean, now, Balder is ruling Hel, Volstag is War Thor, Loki is a good guy, Sif went berserk, Asgard is a democracy...It is fitting that Odinson builts a new identity away from his defining characteristic, been worthy.

Sounds good to me but I think Aaron will instead keep Jane Foster alive and still with Mjolnir, kill off Odin or send him to a retirement home for gods. The son of Odin will replace him as lord of Asgard, get a new arm and hammer and call himself ...... Odin!
    yeah, it's the most likely outcome. We may not know what makes someone worthy, but since Fury's whispers we know what gods are not worth of. The people that believe in them. If Odinson isn't worthy he isn't bound to them anymore, he is free to leave them. There's no worry about it, there's someone capable (Jane) that would protect them. And it would be really exciting, if Aaron or other writer takes this opportunity to make Odinson our ticket to the least explored corners of the Marvel Universe. Odinson could go visit other pantheons, elders, primordials, dig into the secrets of watchers, celestials, beyonders, other cosmic entities. He would be an underdog at that level pushing his limits at every turn. He could experience the wanderer phase of Odin, searching for knowledge but instead of conquering he could became a liberator.

Well my theory is that Odinson will become Thor again and will have a more defined role as defender of the ten realms. Certainly part of Aaron's attraction to the Thor mythology was that he could explore these realms, and I am sure he would like to do more than have set piece battles in them. Although it has always been part of Thor comics to be a cosmic traveller, for me those are not the most engaging stories. Nothing against exploring those places and ideas that have already been opened up by previous runs though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cats View Post
    Odinson could go visit other pantheons, elders, primordials, dig into the secrets of watchers, celestials, beyonders, other cosmic entities. He would be an underdog at that level pushing his limits at every turn. He could experience the wanderer phase of Odin, searching for knowledge but instead of conquering he could became a liberator.
    It would basically make him Silver Surfer-like, and that comic has always had the problem that Marvel comics set in deep space struggle to find an audience. Generally cutting a hero off from Earth is a bad thing, sales-wise. Thor has always found success with its balance of Asgard/space/Earth and I think making Thor a skyfather wandering deep space would doom the character to infrequent appearances and diminished popularity.

Well my theory is that Odinson will become Thor again and will have a more defined role as defender of the ten realms. Certainly part of Aaron's attraction to the Thor mythology was that he could explore these realms, and I am sure he would like to do more than have set piece battles in them. Although it has always been part of Thor comics to be a cosmic traveller, for me those are not the most engaging stories. Nothing against exploring those places and ideas that have already been opened up by previous runs though.
    I could totally get behind this. I've really enjoyed Jane Foster as Thor, but Odinson had what I thought was the strongest showing in issue #700(https://wp.me/p81uZL-lM)

BANNED

Happy belated Thor's Day!

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Well my theory is that Odinson will become Thor again and will have a more defined role as defender of the ten realms.
    If the he goes back to using his own name again maybe they could swap and Jane can call herself Odinson?

If the he goes back to using his own name again maybe they could swap and Jane can call herself Odinson?
    If the shift had happened 6 months ago we would probably have her called Thor too. Let's face it Hawkeye works ok with two characters named the same. But I suspect this won't be the case. Indeed the longer the story has gone on the more I suspect Jane will no longer be Thor at some point, regardless of her popularity. For example I was convinced the whisper reveal had been delayed and it turns out Aaron didn't originally plan to reveal it as early as he did, and so my theory that they delayed the current Mangog story is probably wrong too.

It is entirely possible Aaron is making this an heroic tragedy, and has every intention of her dying at some point. I still suspect Jane will die first, leaving a female Thor standing, before she also eventually dies. And do gods truely die? Thor has died quite a few times.

Sorry to respond so seriously, I did find the joke amusing
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-25-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Hello,

Thor has been my favorite superhero since Marvel relaunched the title with Straczynski and Coipel. That series is what got me interested in collecting superhero comics. Unfortunately I dropped the title after Fraction's World Eaters arc and haven't read much Thor or superhero comics in general since then. Now that I've started looking around Marvel's Legacy titles I've been more and more tempted to jump back into Thor. Aaron's work at Vertigo and Image has been great, but his Marvel stuff has been hit or miss for me. I've heard his run has been great, but stories featuring someone else wielding the hammer have never been my favorite. Still it seems like Jane's time as Thor is winding down so I've decided to take the plunge and jump on with issue 700. It's weird because it doesn't seem that long since I was reading 600. Time flies, huh? Anyway I'll post my thoughts after I'm caught up with the current arc.
    Last edited by Zach; 11-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Pull List: Conan the Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hello,

Thor has been my favorite superhero since Marvel relaunched the title with Straczynski and Coipel. That series is what got me interested in collecting superhero comics. Unfortunately I dropped the title after Fraction's World Eaters arc and haven't read much Thor or superhero comics in general since then. Now that I've started looking around Marvel's Legacy titles I've been more and more tempted to jump back into Thor. Aaron's work at Vertigo and Image has been great, but his Marvel stuff has been hit or miss for me. I've heard his run has been great, but stories featuring someone else wilding the hammer have never.been my favorite. Still it seems like Jane's time as Thor is winding down so I've decided to take the plunge and jump on with issue 700. It's weird because it doesn't seem that long since I was reading 600. Time flies, huh? Anyway I'll post my thoughts after I'm caught up with the current arc.
    Well welcome back to Thor. The World Eaters arc was a low point in modern Thor, I completely understand why that might make you drop it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I have a question that I can't find the answer to, what happened to the Triumvriate of Asgardia? What happened to Idunn, Gaia, and Freyja (I get Frigga and Freyja confused). Someone have a issue where they talk about their departure or did Aaron start fresh after Secret Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I have a question that I can't find the answer to, what happened to the Triumvriate of Asgardia? What happened to Idunn, Gaia, and Freyja (I get Frigga and Freyja confused). Someone have a issue where they talk about their departure or did Aaron start fresh after Secret Wars?
    If I remember correctly at the end of Thor God of Thunder when Asgardia left Broxton. Idunn went ahead to look for a planet/place to put it and has not been seen since.Gaia stayed behind on Earth because she is well Gaia. Freya and Frigga are the same character who remained to run Asgardia with the Congress of World's.
    Last edited by Danvidar; 11-26-2017 at 10:47 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danvidar View Post
    If I remember correctly at the end of Thor God of Thunder when Asgardia left Broxton. Idunn went ahead to look for a planet/place to put it and has not been seen since.Gaia stayed behind on Earth because she is well Gaia. Freya and Frigga are the same character who remained to run Asgardia with the Congress of World's.
    Ahh, thanks it was driving me crazy especially after rereading Agent of Asgard

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I would neeed to double check, but I believe all three were in the all female team that Odinson gathered at the end of Thor, so they are theoretically still around. They were also shown together in the last Loki run. What Aaron seems to have chosen to do is have Freyja represent the All-Mother and de-emphasise the three-in-one element. Personally I always felt the triple aspect goddess was something that didn't quite sit well with Norse myth or the MU, but I am slightly prejudiced against comparative mythology and any hint of nineteenth century mythologising. Not every goddess is a three part goddess.

It would be perfectly possible for any of the three to act on behalf of the other two at some point, so we may continue to see echoes of them. But I suspect Aaron's endgame will be shared power between All-Mother and All-Father, and the tripartite goddess may have detracted from that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.