Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackpot

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Jackpot

Just been revisiting the first appearances of Mr Negative, and I’d completely forgot at the same time we also had Jackpot.
    What did we all think to Jackpot? Would you like to see some kind of return?

Once it was revealed Jackpot wasn't secretly MJ I rapidly lost interest in her. They had a chance to do something different with MJ Post-OMD but then seemingly got cold feet. MJ being Jackpot at the time and hiding that fact from Peter (for whatever reason) would have been far more engaging than the non-entity she became during the Slott Era.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-13-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Oh yeah, she was a thing wasn't she?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Once it was revealed Jackpot wasn't secretly MJ I rapidly lost interest in her. They had a chance to do something different with MJ Post-OMD but then seemingly got cold feet. MJ being Jackpot at the time and hiding that fact from Peter (for whatever reason) would have been far more engaging than the non-entity she became during the Slott Era.
    Agreed. I was most interested in the character when I thought is was MJ, but I'm ultimately glad they didn't go that route.

Mighty Member

At one point, Sony was actually considering making a Jackpot movie. Wonder if they would have gone the Sara Ehret route.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-13-2020 at 01:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    At one point, Sony was actually considering making a Jackpot movie. Wonder if they would have gone the Sara Ehret route.
    My hunch is that if they went with Jackpot, they would make her Mary Jane for real rather than fake it as it did in BND. You can sell a Jackpot movie if she's actually Mary Jane, and trying to be a vigilante for real.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 04-13-2020 at 01:23 PM.

I think once they revealed it wasn't MJ, I think the writers lost interest in her as well.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just been revisiting the first appearances of Mr Negative, and I’d completely forgot at the same time we also had Jackpot.
    What did we all think to Jackpot? Would you like to see some kind of return?
    In the grand scheme of it all, I think the character was fairly forgettable and didn't bring anything to the table for interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    and really, this is why we can't have nice things.

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think once they revealed it wasn't MJ, I think the writers lost interest in her as well.
    So it would appear, but can you honestly blame them?

BANNED

Marc Guggenheim said that Jackpot was never intended to be MJ. IT was an idea, proposed by Slott, that the BND people thought they could tease and build up a mystery and use the uncertainty of the Mephisto retcon to rankle people around. They also saw her as an update on the Prowler, another vigilante on street level and so on.

Utterly pointless character designed fir intrigue.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Utterly pointless character designed fir intrigue.
    Considering how things sadly worked out after a promising start, you are 100% correct. Even if Jackpot being MJ in disguise was a red herring they could have done more with the character than they did. As things now stand she is an easily forgettable, and ignorable, footnote in Spidey's long history.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Marc Guggenheim said that Jackpot was never intended to be MJ. IT was an idea, proposed by Slott, that the BND people thought they could tease and build up a mystery and use the uncertainty of the Mephisto retcon to rankle people around. They also saw her as an update on the Prowler, another vigilante on street level and so on.
    Slott liked to do Shock jock writing. People will hate what I write, but they will always be talking about it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Jackpot was definitely a missed opportunity in my opinion, even after it was confirmed that she wasn't MJ (I never really believed that she was) they could've done more with the character IMO but it never happened for the character.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

To be frank, all the character had going for her was the fact that she was a Red Herring, and once the bait and switch happened that was basically it.

Considering how things sadly worked out after a promising start, you are 100% correct. Even if Jackpot being MJ in disguise was a red herring they could have done more with the character than they did. As things now stand she is an easily forgettable, and ignorable, footnote in Spidey's long history.
    That's the big problem with "Mystery Box" writing.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 04-14-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.