Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, Long Halloween is set in Batman's early years so I could see it being made as a counterpart to this film being Superman in his early days.
    It's not about if it could fit, but if it should. "Oh we should make a new origin movie for our new film universe to match our Superman one" is exactly the wrong kind of thinking that has me dreading the possibility of a new shared universe. They could do it, it could even be alright to genuinely good, but it can't possibly be as good as it can be if they just focus on adapting it faithfully and nevermind setting it in the new big shared setting.

I can see it, and I don't want it. I want it treated like Year One and Dark Knight Returns, faithfully. We're only ever going to get it once, so I want it done right, not compromised and diluted. And there's no way they can do it both the respect it deserves and part of the animated movie-verse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Admittedly they are liberally adapting American Alien, but there's a reason behind it. I think a Long Halloween adaption would be handled very differently.
    Me too - but I think "handled very differently" means "not part of this hypothetical universe that theoretically starts with Man of Tomorrow."

Speaking of faithful adaptations....the ending of Long Halloween made no sense. And not in an interesting ambiguous way, but in frustratingly incoherent way. For the adaptation, for gods sakes pick a killer and stick to it. Hell, it’s a whodunit, so maybe take a page out of Loeb’s other Batwhodunit Hush and change the ending to keep things interesting. It worked there, it worked for the Gaslight movie, and nobody cares about spoilers:
    Alberto Falcone or Gilda Dent
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's not about if it could fit, but if it should. "Oh we should make a new origin movie for our new film universe to match our Superman one" is exactly the wrong kind of thinking that has me dreading the possibility of a new shared universe. They could do it, it could even be alright to genuinely good, but it can't possibly be as good as it can be if they just focus on adapting it faithfully and nevermind setting it in the new big shared setting.

I can see it, and I don't want it. I want it treated like Year One and Dark Knight Returns, faithfully. We're only ever going to get it once, so I want it done right, not compromised and diluted. And there's no way they can do it both the respect it deserves and part of the animated movie-verse.
    Considering how they are handling the elements of Man of Tomorrow I think a Long Halloween adaption could be perfectly standalone and faithful to the original story while at the same time introducing a Batman who can appear in future animated films.
    Me too - but I think "handled very differently" means "not part of this hypothetical universe that theoretically starts with Man of Tomorrow."
    For me it's "actually adapting a comic book storyline from the comics since it's name is in the title."

Man of Tomorrow is not called American Alien so it's not meant to be a direct adaption.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The thing is american alien itself was setting up to go larger universe. It was meant to set up clark as this dude from kansas who does the right thing without going through some unholy tragedy or divine purpose finding his place in the world as the best superhero. If i remember correctly clark was set up as the underdog of the verse, not the topdog he is usually made out to be. He is essentially goku. They were going to have him fight the leaguers one on one and get better. He was going to train under batman with dick grayson. People might feel its bad. But, i love it. Why? I like that clark doesn't put ego in front of learning process and truly tries to improve himself. It's not like clark is subservient to leaguers or anything. He gets his moments like slamming batman into the wall, tricking lex,... Etc. Clark and green arrow seemed to have hit it of as well. Clark basically calls olly out on the yacht wasting the money and his potential, when the little guy is struggling to make ends meet. That had a big impact on the guy. But at the end of the day, the guy is just normal relatively speaking . The others in his team are trained combatants with larger than life backgrounds from the get go, accept for flash. Clark needs to tear of the layers of mundanity and reveal superman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/superman-man-of-...ated-universe/
    They debunked it, lol.
    But maybe they wanted to announce it on Fandome, who knows.
    interesting they went out of their way to debunk this..wonder if they wanted to announce it on their own..

Astonishing Member

I'm sure they just wanted to announce it on Fandome and Palmer just forgot about that.
    "The films were winding down from the previous arcs, the stories being for the past ten years for Warner Animation," Palmer told CBR. "In searching for [a way to] launch the first film [in a new direction], Superman seemed like the big character to go with."
    Really, here it is simply impossible to imply something else.

I'm sure they just wanted to announce it on Fandome and Palmer just forgot about that.

Really, here it is simply impossible to imply something else.
    A “new direction” could just mean sticking to standalones, but we’ll see. If what Frontier posted earlier is true, it sure seems like they’re stuffing this movie with plot threads that could spin out of it.

Astonishing Member

Being sticking to standalones doesn't seem like new direction, because they worked this way for years before launching DCAMU.

Being sticking to standalones doesn't seem like new direction, because they worked this way for years before launching DCAMU.
    Right but the last couple of years have been dominated by their shared universe movies. Dropping that entirely would still technically be a “new direction”. However we will probably know more either after Man of Tomorrow launched or in Sept with that panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    A “new direction” could just mean sticking to standalones, but we’ll see. If what Frontier posted earlier is true, it sure seems like they’re stuffing this movie with plot threads that could spin out of it.
    Yeah, I can't think they'd make a possibly interconnected illustration on the side like that unless there were plans for follow-ups, and one of those follow-ups not necessarily being in another Superman movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right but the last couple of years have been dominated by their shared universe movies. Dropping that entirely would still technically be a “new direction”. However we will probably know more either after Man of Tomorrow launched or in Sept with that panel.
    Or when they finally announce the 2021 slate.

Considering how they are handling the elements of Man of Tomorrow I think a Long Halloween adaption could be perfectly standalone and faithful to the original story while at the same time introducing a Batman who can appear in future animated films.

For me it's "actually adapting a comic book storyline from the comics since it's name is in the title."

Man of Tomorrow is not called American Alien so it's not meant to be a direct adaption.
    Does everything have to be in a shared animated universe? Are the only films that should be left out of the universe those obvious Elseworlds like Red Son and Gotham by Gaslight? What point does it serve to double down on the shared universe thing when it hasn't been handled all that well or been all that received before? Is it wrong that when I look at their previous shared universe films that the thought of one of my all time favorite comic books story becoming a "shared universe" film makes me uneasy? Since Flashpoint only one shared universe movie was truly great. One! And while there were duds and misfires in the non-shared universe films, the overall average was much, much better! So if looking back on that track record, why should I want or be confident in them deciding to do that?

To put it another way, why do you want The Long Halloween to be a shared universe movie? Why does it appeal so much more to you than the thought of it being disconnected from other movies?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    interesting they went out of their way to debunk this..wonder if they wanted to announce it on their own..
    Why are we assuming that they debunked it because they want to announce it, and not just because it's not true and they don't want people thinking that they announced a universe that doesn't exist?

Does everything have to be in a shared animated universe? Are the only films that should be left out of the universe those obvious Elseworlds like Red Son and Gotham by Gaslight? What point does it serve to double down on the shared universe thing when it hasn't been handled all that well or been all that received before? Is it wrong that when I look at their previous shared universe films that the thought of one of my all time favorite comic books story becoming a "shared universe" film makes me uneasy? Since Flashpoint only one shared universe movie was truly great. One! And while there were duds and misfires in the non-shared universe films, the overall average was much, much better! So if looking back on that track record, why should I want or be confident in them deciding to do that?

To put it another way, why do you want The Long Halloween to be a shared universe movie? Why does it appeal so much more to you than the thought of it being disconnected from other movies?
    It's not that I want Long Halloween to be part of a shared universe. At the end of the day I want a great Long Halloween adaption. It's just if they are doing a new continuity I think it could conceivably be a good story to use to introduce a new animated Batman because of how the story is handled.

I thought the Tucker crew did a good job adapting major storylines in a few of their films so I don't really see any kind of shared universe aspect as a death knell to a good adaption, though we had very different opinions on the Tucker continuity overall. But Tucker isn't even involved in the production anymore so it stands to reason that things will be handled differently one way or another.

It's not that I want Long Halloween to be part of a shared universe. At the end of the day I want a great Long Halloween adaption. It's just if they are doing a new continuity I think it could conceivably be a good story to use to introduce a new animated Batman because of how the story is handled.

I thought the Tucker crew did a good job adapting major storylines in a few of their films so I don't really see any kind of shared universe aspect as a death knell to a good adaption, though we had very different opinions on the Tucker continuity overall. But Tucker isn't even involved in the production anymore so it stands to reason that things will be handled differently one way or another.
    I'd still rather it not be a "good story to use to introduce a new animated Batman" because I need more than one well handled movie to be even remotely comfortable with that. You see how they're handling this one Superman movie and you're sold they can handle every character and movie just as well. I need a lot more than that, I've been too badly burned on DC shared universe movies. Plus, we haven't seen this movie yet. It looks great, I'm excited, but it could still be disappointing. And if they knock it out of the park? Doesn't mean that they didn't get lucky this time, it that they can do as well with other characters. "How the story is handled" for one movie we haven't seen for one character isn't enough for me. I'd rather they introduce Batman in a new shared universe in any other way on earth than take the risk that they could ruin the one chance I have for a good Long Halloween adaptation.

I mean I'm only so-so on American Alien, and I get the Landis thing, so I don't mind about this. But if they were making these huge changes to a Superman story I really love, or threatening to make one a shared universe film, my reaction would be the same. Birthright and Man and Superman could work to introduce Superman in a shared universe... but I much rather them mess with the third or fourth Superman origin on my list than the top two.

Also I didn't think the Tucker crew did a very good job handling adaptations outside of Death of Superman. But even with Tucker gone, the new team has to prove themselves over multiple films and multiple characters. And I don't want them using my favorite stories in the teething process.

I'd still rather it not be a "good story to use to introduce a new animated Batman" because I need more than one well handled movie to be even remotely comfortable with that. You see how they're handling this one Superman movie and you're sold they can handle every character and movie just as well. I need a lot more than that, I've been too badly burned on DC shared universe movies. Plus, we haven't seen this movie yet. It looks great, I'm excited, but it could still be disappointing. And if they knock it out of the park? Doesn't mean that they didn't get lucky this time, it that they can do as well with other characters. "How the story is handled" for one movie we haven't seen for one character isn't enough for me. I'd rather they introduce Batman in a new shared universe in any other way on earth than take the risk that they could ruin the one chance I have for a good Long Halloween adaptation.

I mean I'm only so-so on American Alien, and I get the Landis thing, so I don't mind about this. But if they were making these huge changes to a Superman story I really love, or threatening to make one a shared universe film, my reaction would be the same. Birthright and Man and Superman could work to introduce Superman in a shared universe... but I much rather them mess with the third or fourth Superman origin on my list than the top two.

Also I didn't think the Tucker crew did a very good job handling adaptations outside of Death of Superman. But even with Tucker gone, the new team has to prove themselves over multiple films and multiple characters. And I don't want them using my favorite stories in the teething process.
    I really liked Judas Contract.

But I understand that we had two very different opinions on the shared universe films so I get why you'd be less enthused about the possibility of a shared universe Batman film adapting Long Halloween (even if the shared universe aspect probably wouldn't even be relevant the way I'm expecting them to do it). I have no expectations until I actually see how they're handling it one way or another.